The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-10-2019, 06:17 AM

Default All Star Game 2019 Edition

For baseball fans, this years version of the perennial All Star Event had to be one of the better ones. Perfect baseball weather all week made things feel like they should. The Home Run Derby was actually very exciting and the game itself, was fiercely competitive with some great pitching and clutch hitting and a few stupendous plays on defense.
What really stood out was how well the city of Cleveland and it's fans represented. The city itself, with all the new revitalization looked marvelous.
The enthusiasm during the "Derby" and the game surprised the announcers and the media so much they commented on it. There were a number of times during the game, Joe Buck said, "man it's loud in here, not your typical All Star crowd."
That was highlighted in the fifth inning when Shane Bieber of the Indians struck out the side of the National League team.
As he walked to the dugout, Progressive Field was deafening.
Here's a guy who was a late addition to the team and ended up with the MVP Award.
Two former players, Michael Brantley and C.C. Sabathia who have both moved on to other teams were given ovations. How classy is that?
All in all, a wonderful testimony to the tradition, the fans and the City of Cleveland.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-10-2019, 10:08 AM

Made me proud to be a life long Northeast Ohioan and Cleveland Indian fan!

I got goosebumps when Bieber struck out the third batter he faced to strike out the side! For a 24 year old in only his first full year in the majors, he was incredibly cool under the pressure. On the other "hand" (pun intended) Brad Hand almost gave the game away in the 8th.

And it was classy that Brantley got such a nice ovation a few times and CC also.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:18 PM

I used to love the all star game as a kid but I rarely watch it anymore, even though I'm a big baseball fan. Out of the 4 big sports here (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL), I find that the MLB all star game is the most representative of the actual season - people are trying their hardest to get that strikeout, get that hit, catch that fly, etc.

Home Run derby is always exciting. Glad to see Vlad Guerrero do so well.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I used to love the all star game as a kid but I rarely watch it anymore, even though I'm a big baseball fan. Out of the 4 big sports here (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL), I find that the MLB all star game is the most representative of the actual season - people are trying their hardest to get that strikeout, get that hit, catch that fly, etc.

Home Run derby is always exciting. Glad to see Vlad Guerrero do so well.
I agree. As a kid, 50 years ago, the All Star game was one of my favorites. I think mostly due to the smaller coverage back then. All you had back then was the NBC game of the week with Curt Gowdy! The All Star game was one of the few chances to see the best players play. Now days, with all the coverage, you can see these guys play quite often. I think that’s a key reason for the waning interest.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic