The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-29-2019, 07:27 AM

Default Settle the James Taylor debate for me in this video pls...

What model Gibson is JT playing in this 1970 video? J35 or 45 with a natural top? 50? 15? We are in a fierce debate. Someone out there knows.

https://youtu.be/JOIo4lEpsPY

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-29-2019 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Embed video
Old 09-29-2019, 07:34 AM

He was playing a J50 in those days.

https://youtu.be/bpYXBNy9AFo

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-29-2019 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Embed video
Old 09-29-2019, 07:47 AM

Unmistakable Gibson sound.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-29-2019, 08:12 AM

I thought a J-50 was just a natural topped J-45? At least for a large portion of that model's history, that's what I understand to be the case.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:42 AM

It’s a J-50.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:30 AM

When I hear this video, I always wonder about that very deep sound this guitar has, especially when James is strumming chords towards the end of the song...
I had learned about his using a J-50, but still wonder about this sound ?
- An exceptional standard model ?
- A different back and sides (possibly Brazilian Rosewood maybe ?) ?
- A high-end built-in mike ?
- James' outstanding playing ?
It sounds like something unique, always to my ears...Still wonder why, but you know the kind of things I'd really like to achieve on stage.
Maybe someone would have some more details ?
Old 09-29-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernieman View Post
When I hear this video, I always wonder about that very deep sound this guitar has, especially when James is strumming chords towards the end of the song...
It sounds like something unique, always to my ears...Still wonder why, but you know the kind of things I'd really like to achieve on stage.

It's all about his playing. That J-50 is a nice one for sure but it's just a standard J-50. No fancy woods or modifications. No internal pickup at all.

He does sound great playing a J-50. He also sounds great playing an Epiphone, a Yamaha, a Whitebook, a Telecaster, a Martin, an Olson, and any number of other guitars he's used over the years.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
It's all about his playing. That J-50 is a nice one for sure but it's just a standard J-50. No fancy woods or modifications. No internal pickup at all.

He does sound great playing a J-50. He also sounds great playing an Epiphone, a Yamaha, a Whitebook, a Telecaster, a Martin, an Olson, and any number of other guitars he's used over the years.
Okay, except for one thing : I've never heard him sound as good with an other guitar, on any other video...
By the way, who is the luthier who makes his current guitars ? I've heard James telling about him, but wasn't able to hear his name properly (english ain't my first language) ?
Olson maybe?
Heard him tell he had two of his guitars though, and mention that old guitars loose something with time - showing his old Gibson -, on other videos however... Excellent guitars but I still like the J-50 a bit more I think... (or his playing then).
Old 09-29-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Okay, except for one thing : I've never heard him sound as good with an other guitar, on any other video...
By the way, who is the luthier who makes his current guitars ? I've heard James telling about him, but wasn't able to hear his name properly (english ain't my first language) ?
Olson maybe?
Heard him tell he had two of his guitars though, and mention that old guitars loose something with time - showing his old Gibson -, on other videos however... Excellent guitars but I still like the J-50 a bit more I think... (or his playing then).

Now see...for me...I think his old Gibson J-50 sounds/sounded terrible...dull, thuddy, pinchy in the trebles...everything I don't like in guitar tone, and in a lot of old Gibson guitars...and I think the tone of the Gibson did not in any way fit the lyrical quality of his songs, or his chord shapes and progressions.

For me...again...when he finally switched to his James Olson guitar, the warm, sweet, lyrical, and smoothly full tone of that guitar really completed his sound. It fit his style of songs, it really fit his style of playing and use of chord shapes and progressions.

I think his "sound" improved 10 fold when he switched to the Olson.

But that's just me...and at least a few others...

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 09-29-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sims View Post
He was playing a J50 in those days.

https://youtu.be/bpYXBNy9AFo
Many thanks for the video! Great info for a guitar geek like me!
Old 09-29-2019, 11:10 AM

https://youtu.be/LNnuUZ_lSg4
Then I found this!
Old 09-29-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I'm going to suggest that it's not the guitar so much as it is the proximity effect from the microphone.

It's pretty close- granted, I don't know what it is, but it sounds to me like it's just placed very close on the guitar, and seems to be pointing up towards the bass strings and that part of the acoustic body.

You could be chasing a dragon looking for that sound forever and it's just where you put your microphone:

https://www.neumann.com/homestudio/e...oximity-effect
Old 09-29-2019, 12:13 PM

Thanks Larry, that sounds very interesting...Don't know what microphone James Taylor is using (him or his/the sound engeneer), don't know about the proximity effect, but I'm going to read carefully every single word that is being said there...
Surely enhances the J-50's undisputable talent...
And Neumann seems to be a must for acoustic guitars...
Old 09-29-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks Larry, that sounds very interesting...Don't know what microphone James Taylor is using (him or his/the sound engeneer), don't know about the proximity effect, but I'm going to read carefully every single word that is being said there...
Surely enhances the J-50's undisputable talent...
And Neumann seems to be a must for acoustic guitars...
That's an AKG C-28 with extension tube. It was a pretty common mic for television and film work in the late 60's/early 70's. The BBC used them extensively but they also show up in a lot of American footage from the era.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:54 PM

Thanks Osage....The AKG-C 28 does not seem to ba available from AKG anymore, but can be found second-hand at times it seems (there's one right now on Ebay, but like most vintage gear it's bloody expensive - 2100€ for this one -)...
There must be smth. more convenient available...
But I really enjoyed to get this info.
Thanks again !i
Bernie

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion