The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-08-2019, 07:20 AM

Default Good Omens - on Prime video

Anyone else given this series a look?

Watched 2 episodes, and have found it meh, at best. Not a huge Terry Pratchett fan, although I read at least half a dozen of the Discworld novels. This show, just doesn't capture me - it seems like the writers have almost been trying too hard to make you chuckle, (in a Hitchhiker's Guide way), but there's nothing actually funny.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-08-2019, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Watched it because we’re David Tennent fans. Rate it a Meh.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:06 AM

I think "Good Omens" got a big bump in the media when a group of people who disliked the premise of the show made a big deal of petitioning Netflix to cancel it, apparently not noticing in their rush to judgement, that it's shown on Amazon Prime …

Last edited by Denny B; 07-08-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:03 AM

I loved the book, and have watched it all the way through.

Even with the non-linear twisty-turney plot-path and the fantastic elements, it's kind of understated, particularly as it starts up, and humor is as subjective as music. I might have pressed the proverbial "meh" focus-group audience response button after two episodes too, particularly as a fan of the book with high expectations.

But as I kept on it grew on me, particularly the lead performances which eventually had me hooked.

As to the Hitchiker's-like vibe, it could be baked in. Gaiman and Pratchett connected to create the original book just after Gaiman worked on one of the adaptations of Hitchhiker' Guide.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-08-2019, 10:08 AM

Watched the whole season, loved it. I am a huge fan of the book, which I originally read back in high school, and have reread a few times since.

It’s hard to adapt books to film, but I think they did an awesome job. The casting was probably their saving grace. They obviously wanted to stay as true to the book as possible, which is not the usual choice for many good reasons. In order to make that work it’s crucial that you like the main characters, and I felt that David Tennant and Michael Sheen nailed it.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vubui View Post
Watched the whole season, loved it. I am a huge fan of the book, which I originally read back in high school, and have reread a few times since.

It’s hard to adapt books to film, but I think they did an awesome job. The casting was probably their saving grace. They obviously wanted to stay as true to the book as possible, which is not the usual choice for many good reasons. In order to make that work it’s crucial that you like the main characters, and I felt that David Tennant and Michael Sheen nailed it.
Agree 100% with all this: one of the best comedies I've seen in a while. I would love it if Gaiman wrote a follow-up for a second series - but only if the cast were kept the same. Tennant was clearly having a ball and Sheen showed just what a great actor he is - though it was a bit surreal seeing a Port Talbot boyo doing that Home Counties accent.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:43 PM

I have read the book a lot - my copy is frayed and tattered - and laughed my way through the series from end to end. To make comedy of the Apocalypse requires very clever writing, and Gaiman and Pratchett fully fit that description.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
Agree 100% with all this: one of the best comedies I've seen in a while. I would love it if Gaiman wrote a follow-up for a second series - but only if the cast were kept the same. Tennant was clearly having a ball and Sheen showed just what a great actor he is - though it was a bit surreal seeing a Port Talbot boyo doing that Home Counties accent.

A follow up season would be amazing!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic