The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-05-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
I still got it for outdoors adventures, the drive, the desire for new rushes and for new vistas, as for the ladies, it doesn't matter, I've been married for 40 years this year and there's no way I would ever jeopardize what I have with my wife. She use to be able to go with me but time has been cruel to her knees. This coming Tuesday she gets one of them replaced.....ouch.
Good luck to her with that. I am lucky , if that's all it is, which it isn't, in that my wife is older than I am, but in better shape, so I was the one who had to rehab (lumbar epidural cortisone shots, years of PT , and nutritional support, for starters) to the point where I can walk the doglets with her every day without a cane (cane-free for 4 months , after 6 years of it) . Life does not suck yet
Old 07-08-2019, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

I like the saying "getting old is not for the faint of heart".
While no doubt hiking solo has the disadvantage of not having someone else to help, or get help.
I always found a bit more sense of self awareness and peace going solo. I did in my 20's I do a fair amount of backpacking solo. In my 30's and 40's I would hunt solo in the wilderness areas of Wyoming about 70% of the time.

Now days it is mostly fly fishing the local streams, rivers, and lakes. But with pretty good cell coverage, friend finder, and text messaging, at least my wife has a general sense of where I am and I always message I am on my way home.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-08-2019, 01:36 PM

Tell the fat friends about the divorcees and maybe they'll get off the couch and go with you.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
Rant begin

I'm 60 years old, all my friends are fat, lazy, out of shape couch potatoes.

I've been searching for a hiking and back packing partner. I've been posting up on craigslist, meetup, local mom and pop sports shop. I'm married and the only replies I've had are from divorced women. I've told them that there would have to be at least three of us. Even though it would be about hiking, the optics is just wrong if it's just the two of us.

Rant over
I think it’s great that you are looking to hike. It’s a wonderful way to stay fit, both physically and mentally. Kind of surprising that you can’t find many bites there in your are? A couple of options would be to join your local Sierra Club as they send out a mailer (info on website too) to members all their hikes, local and elsewhere. You might also connect with your local Nextdoor neighborhood community. You can download the app and then list the activities you are interested in and perhaps even offer to start a men’s hiking group. Just my .02.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I think it’s great that you are looking to hike. It’s a wonderful way to stay fit, both physically and mentally. Kind of surprising that you can’t find many bites there in your are? A couple of options would be to join your local Sierra Club as they send out a mailer (info on website too) to members all their hikes, local and elsewhere. You might also connect with your local Nextdoor neighborhood community. You can download the app and then list the activities you are interested in and perhaps even offer to start a men’s hiking group. Just my .02.
I work with a lot of groups including Sierra Club and think some more local volunteering groups might be a bit more friendly and social. This comes out when we are in property and park or land owner master planning processes. This is decades of friends groups, TU, IMBA, ski, bike and bird groups. As much as we're all hikers and outdoor enthusiasts, some group membership is way more tribal and rigid.

Another tip for social plus physical activities is this phenomenon of many local breweries. Some have their own social clubs and host clubs at their facilities and bier garten spots. That seems to be the case in larger and smaller communities. I joke about my neighborhood brewery allowing dogs and kids but in all honestly, it makes for a really nice place to find friendly folks.

Have an REI store near by? They host local groups at their events. You can learn about them that way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic