The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-29-2009, 02:56 PM

I've spent a LOT of time in Nashville and I STILL see producers' helpers bringing in a pair of Yamaha NS-10Ms. These producers are not old guys either. They're just "consumer" enough and pro enough to reflect what most consumers will hear in their mix. Then of course, it's sent off for mastering. For the money you're budgeting, these would fit. And I must add, it's not only country music producers using these.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denzee300 View Post
I've spent a LOT of time in Nashville and I STILL see producers' helpers bringing in a pair of Yamaha NS-10Ms. These producers are not old guys either. They're just "consumer" enough and pro enough to reflect what most consumers will hear in their mix. Then of course, it's sent off for mastering. For the money you're budgeting, these would fit. And I must add, it's not only country music producers using these.
Yeah, but the issues that I found are:
1) they are discontinued
2) I do need something that I can monitor a bottom end with. The NS-10Ms are lacking in that frequency range.
3) The HS80s don't have as much wiring because they are active, have a larger woofer, and allegedly will cost less at the end of the day
4) The NS-10Ms will be GREAT if I was more involved in this recording and mixing stuff but what I do is amateur/young-pro level stuff ---- DEMOS and for that I don't have to have a perfect mix even though I would like to get as close to pro as I can

So... I will leave these to the pros... I posted an add on craigslist and hopefully he will buy them.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Yup, I've got a pair of NS10Ms lying around with toasted tweeters. Trying to figure out if I want to fix 'em. Tweeter toast was a common problem with 'em. One by one the tweeters cooked on the several sets we had at work and we replaced them at least once each. I saved the last pair from the crusher.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-29-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Yup, I've got a pair of NS10Ms lying around with toasted tweeters. Trying to figure out if I want to fix 'em. Tweeter toast was a common problem with 'em. One by one the tweeters cooked on the several sets we had at work and we replaced them at least once each. I saved the last pair from the crusher.

Bob
Yeah one of mine is crushed... selling like that though, might be able to get 50% of that speaker and 100% of the other one...

Do you think my reasoning for the HS80s is logical? and I will be better off with the HS80s?
Old 10-02-2009, 03:25 AM

Hi Alex,

thank you for your PM, and sorry for my being late with this post. I'm very busy in the studio and making music roght now...

I apologize for not having the time to read all the replies, so maybe this is totally redundant.

Furthermore, I can't really help you with your question, because I must admid that I haven't worked with any of the speakers you mention.
So take the following with a big spoon of salt.

Many years ago I owned and tried to work with a pair of KRK monitors, probably the model 6000, but I was not able to mix on them. The reproduction in the lower mids was just totally wrong - blown up and totally smeared.
I've since optimized the studio of a customer who has some new KRKs (maybe those are on your list), and experienced the same thing - they are totally unaccurate in the lower mids and the bass. You just don't know what you're doing when working on them.

I've heard good things about the JBL LSRs, and actually used to work on JBLs in my first studio. They seem to be quite honest. But again, I've not worked on the LSRs.

Another thing I have to mention is that I am not at all a fan of Genelecs, Yamaha NS-10s, etc. I kind of am able to work on Adams, if I have to, but apart from that I shy away from the monitors that "studio guys" usually have. I am more of a mastering type, and prefer most HiFi loudspeakers over the standard studio monitors. I would definitely try HiFi monitors as well.
(I actually have some Royd Sapphire II for sale, but that's hijacking this thread... They are very flat, but you need a subwoofer if you use them as your main speakers for mixing etc.)

DAS have been said to be very flat, and reasonably priced.

If you're lucky you might find some ATC SCM 20 second hand. I am highly impressed by their SCM 50 and 100 (which is above your limit, though).

I would highly recommend to spend as much money and evaluation time as you can on your monitoring system. It is more important than any gear, really. If you don't hear things accurately you just don't know what you're doing.

Apart from all that, room acoustics are very important. Which has probably been said many times in this thread. Also, the correct placement of the speakers can make a huge difference. I would recommend to ask someone who is experienced to find the best placement for the speakers in your room.

I hope there's something in this post that is of help for you.

Enjoy your music!
Rumi
www.pilgrimstudio.ch

Last edited by rumi11; 10-02-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:28 AM

You might want to post your question on gearslutz or (better yet) on the pro audio forum.
www.pilgrimstudio.ch
Old 10-10-2009, 07:14 AM

Out of your list - get the JBL's.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:56 PM

Default try these

I do lots of studio work using very high-end monitors (larger Genelecs and up). Recently, I heard monitors from Blue Sky -- AB'ed them, and spoke to lots of other engineers. Everyone agrees that at that price point these are it these days. Best, of luck, Eric

Gibson J-45 1946 FOR SALE
Collings CL dlx P90's 2013
Fender stratocaster 1969 FOR SALE
Lowden S22 12 (Japan 1980's) FOR SALE
Martin 00-21 1934
Martin 000-18 shadetop 1953
Guild D40 1970
Old 10-14-2009, 02:17 PM

Do you have a link? What specifically was good about them?
Old 10-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidwalnut View Post
Hi Alexrkstr--

Even though they say headphones are bad for mixing I have to disagree. Headphones are just like any other monitor system: you get to know them. Sure, they offer stereo separation that is not real, but you know that! Headphones, like many other speaker systems, compensate for their lack of frequency response by boosting in that range. That's all good to know!

So you gotta burn a disc and then listen back on several different systems, car stereo, boom box, home stereo and strive for balanced mix that sounds good across all of them.

Have fun with it!

Steve
I'll second this excellent advice. It doesn't do you much good to get a mix that works well in your monitoring environment, but may not sound good in the environments in which people will be listening to your music. I think a great low budget option is to use a pair of decent headphones (preferably without too much bass boost) to do your original mix, then burn a cd and listen to the mix in as many "real world" environments as you can find (car, personal stereo, other headphones, computer speakers, etc.). It doesn't take long to get a general understanding of how your monitoring environment translates to the real world environments.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowman View Post
It doesn't do you much good to get a mix that works well in your monitoring environment, but may not sound good in the environments in which people will be listening to your music.
If most people will be listening to the music on speakers, then it stands to reason that it is best to use speakers as monitors when mixing.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:33 PM

I also started with Alesis M1 actives but found they were bass-heavy.

They're now in the loft and I have a pair of Adam A7s which I'm happy with and produce a balance which sounds the same in my car and in someone elses studio.

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Lag Autumn CE Jumbo - Nashville strung
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD