The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2019, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Bolt on necks sound like a good idea. Why doesn't everyone use them?
In the case of Martin, I'd guess that 186 years of tradition are the roadblock to such a change....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-18-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Because their buyers do it for them?
Really? Show me a scientifically based study that proves that.
So far, we have nothing but opinions on either side of the debate.

I find that interesting because makers of other types of musical instruments test their design improvements or what they hope will be improvements.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

is it me or is it getting hot in here?
Old 03-18-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfreek View Post
The original Norman guitars from Canada had bolt on necks like this. I had a 1971 Norman that had the same type of neck attachment. A neck reset would take literally 10-15 minutes.

What model is that?
Old 03-18-2019, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
Martin have been around for a long time but they haven't had to face contemporary challenges before.
They haven't? Taylor has been around for 45-years, and Martin is still prospering. Why? Because they still make a magnificent guitar that players are eager and willing to plunk down their money for.

Quote:
Many more players in the market at all levels, greater quality from competitors, etc.
And yet, Martin remains one of the very top selling brands. The implication that a dovetail neck attachment is of lesser quality is absurd. Martin, Gibson, Santa Cruz, Lowden, along with smaller builders like Bedell, Fairbanks, Kopp, Slobod and others are all doing quite well.

Quote:
It may be true that today's customers aren't interested in change but every company has to keep asking what tomorrow's customers may want.
True, but since you can't please everyone, you have to understand your market niche and demographic and aim to please them.

Quote:
Any company that thinks it has no motivation or incentive to change is treading on dangerous ground.
That's not what I said or implied. What I said was that Martin has no motivation or incentive to change their neck attachment design, which they don't. Players wanting a bolt on neck have many options available to them. That works for companies like Taylor who supply that demand, and has proven to have no detrimental impact on Martin.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 03-18-2019, 07:53 AM

The traditional dovetail joint vs a bolt on joint debate, (at least the kind you get from Taylor, Collings, etc.) is not about the quality of the guitars or the joint used. It is about the + - of each neck joint design.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:56 AM

What timing? I was just noticing yesterday that my 2 year old Martin doesn't have much saddle left. The action on the higher frets isn't very low. And my house humidity has been around 45 all winter.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:27 AM

I have a Martin D1-R. After the serial number plate fell off inside the guitar, it revealed a large phillips head screw going through the neck block. I'm thinking this is a bolt on neck. However, the fingerboard extension appears to be glued to the top.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras1500 View Post
I have a Martin D1-R. After the serial number plate fell off inside the guitar, it revealed a large phillips head screw going through the neck block. I'm thinking this is a bolt on neck. However, the fingerboard extension appears to be glued to the top.
From: https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/g...tin-d-1-219986
The 1s were also notable for being the first Martin series to employ its bolt-assisted mortise and tenon neck joint, which was later rolled out to the cheaper Road Series and HPL (High Pressure Laminate) Xs, and the more upmarket 15 and 16 Series.

The bolting aspect has sometimes been misconstrued. The joint is actually glue-bonded, the bolt serving as a clamp while the glue is drying, so the mortise and tenon doesn't act like a dovetail in intrinsically cleaving the neck to the body.

The bolt could be discarded afterwards, but Martin chooses to leave it in situ and there are a couple of spin-off production benefits - first, the bolt hole in the neck block allows the body to be secured tightly in its mould during assembly; second, the heel's threaded insert enables the sprayer to attach a handle to the neck to make the finishing process easier.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
General Motors set the pulse in the auto industry at one time. The company scoffed at the idea of the Japanese companies, especially Toyota being taken seriously.
GM scoffed at Demming's ideas about how to improve building autos. Toyota embraced the ideas.
Well, it wasn't just GM...it was also Ford and Chrysler

Quote:
GM has never entirely recovered from its arrogance of the sixties.
I'm not sure there are statistics to validate this, but regardless, GM, Ford, and Chrysler are still going strong and remain insanely profitable.

Quote:
If Martin doesn't care about what a percentage of its products owners think it may find itself in trouble one day.
Who says Martin doesn't care about what a % of its product owners think? This thread seems to be about what a percentage of NON-product owners think (or maybe more accurately, what ANTI-product owners think), which shouldn't be a concern to Martin at all.

Quote:
It doesn't make a difference how much some owners play their guitars. It does make a difference how owners feel about Martin's products. No company can afford to rest easy as competitive as the acoustic guitar market is.
I'm pretty sure their owners are overwhelmingly happy. Their sales would seem to substantiate that.

Quote:
There are guitars that approximate the sound of Martins guitars. What if a company decides to build a guitar with a Martin sound but with a modern bolt on neck ?
This has been tried, and it still doesn't produce a Martin. And, Martin continues to sell an astronomical number of guitars.

Quote:
What if that guitar has the QC of Taylor?
What on earth would lead you to believe Taylor has better QC than Martin?

Quote:
What if Taylor were to build a new line of guitars that had a Martin kind of sound with an NT neck? Taylor has just demonstrated a willingness to produce a guitar with a different sound. Taylor isn't afraid to push boundaries.
Push boundaries to what end? The jury is still out on the V-bracing, and despite Taylor's marketing claim of superiority, there are as many (maybe more) Taylor aficionados who aren't impressed with the V-bracing as there are those who have bought into it; so, what has Taylor gained from this exactly?

Quote:
What if a multiple Martin owner has several guitars that need $400 resets?
If you're a Martin owner and your guitar needs a neck reset you get a neck reset. This thread would have you believe that the need for neck resets is running rampant, when it fact, they are rare considering the amount of Martin guitars in existence. I've owned probably a dozen Martins and have only had one neck reset done...when the guitar was 17-years old. It really didn't even need to be done yet; but, it was heading that way, so I opted to get it out of the way. It cost me $400 (or $23.53/yr. if you break in down)...a price I gladly paid to maintain my favorite guitar. It costs me a helluva lot more than that in oil changes to maintain my car, and my car won't be around decades from now still giving me joy.

Quote:
No, Martin better be concerned about what all owners and buyers think. Martin better start looking forward instead of backward.
Martin is doing quite well with their strategy, and have been longer than any other major guitar manufacturer in history. Wonder if Taylor will still be around in 2160???

Martin 000-28EC

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 03-18-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
What model is that?
I have no idea, it's a random photo from Google. The Norman I had was an old B20 made of laminated birch with a maple neck. I bought it off a guy for $50 about 5 years ago and did a lot of gigs and it was used for 3 years when I hosted a local open mic.

Here it is.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
They haven't? Taylor has been around for 45-years, and Martin is still prospering. Why? Because they still make a magnificent guitar that players are eager and willing to plunk down their money for.

And yet, Martin remains one of the very top selling brands. The implication that a dovetail neck attachment is of lesser quality is absurd. Martin, Gibson, Santa Cruz, Lowden, along with smaller builders like Bedell, Fairbanks, Kopp, Slobod and others are all doing quite well.

True, but since you can't please everyone, you have to understand your market niche and demographic and aim to please them.

That's not what I said or implied. What I said was that Martin has no motivation or incentive to change their neck attachment design, which they don't. Players wanting a bolt on neck have many options available to them. That works for companies like Taylor who supply that demand, and has proven to have no detrimental impact on Martin.
I used the term contemporary in relation to 186 years of history, 45 years could be described as relatively recent.
I apologise for my akward use of the term "greater quality" I meant that the competition in general is producing better quality instruments than it had in the past, not better than Martin, and not a specific reference to neck joints.

I wasn't suggesting the Martin would or should produce bolt on necks, simply that in a competitive environment, taking any type of innovation completely "off the table" for any reason seems to me to be a mistake.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:

You don't think Martin would sell more guitars if Bob Taylor had never made guitars?
Old 03-18-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure their owners are overwhelmingly happy.
Indeed. Happy guitarists play Martins. This will never change.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
You don't think Martin would sell more guitars if Bob Taylor had never made guitars?
Sure...and Ford would sell more automobiles without GM, and General Electric would sell more televisions without Magnavox, and my corner Shell station would sell more gasoline if there wasn't a Marathon station on the opposing corner. It's what makes a free market economy thrive, and why monopolies are largely illegal in the U.S.

Martin 000-28EC

-Andrés Segovia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion