The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-17-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
I have found they are quite easy. MD-1000 stands for AlvarezMasterworksDreadnought-1000 model.

The 70 series DYMR70 is rosewood back and sides with a Sitka Spruce top. The 60 series is Mahogany back and sides.
The 66 series is all Mahogany top, back and sides.

Suffixes like BG is the blue grass model SHB is shadow burst finish. Once you click into their nomenclature, you can figure out exactly what they are.
Thanks, so the Y stands for Yairi? And F must be Folk, which means it's an OM body? They call mine a Folk body style, and say it's an OM size. Also, I guess the HD on the end of mine might refer to it having the Honduran mahogany wood?
Old 03-17-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGWelch View Post
Thanks, so the Y stands for Yairi? And F must be Folk, which means it's an OM body? They call mine a Folk body style, and say it's an OM size. Also, I guess the HD on the end of mine might refer to it having the Honduran mahogany wood?

Yeah, the HD is unique to the Honduran series.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
It did work out, RGW, I now have a new old guitar. It is real nice shape, but needs a bit of work. I'll post a pic before I tear into it.

Should be a keeper when I'm done with it. Very resonant, I can tell that much despite the elderly mystery strings that are on it now.
Congrats, looking forward to seeing it.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:53 PM

Thought I'd post a video I uploaded with sound track of me playing Canonball Rag on the Yairi. I didn't play it terribly well, lots of buzzing finger work, my fault, not the guitar. But I muddled through it more or less and thought it was a good accompaniment for this video. Recorded the guitar with a Rode SVM mic into a Zoom H1 recorder. I think it gives a decent idea of guitar's sound.

https://youtu.be/AyM0ye1M9Ss
Old 01-27-2024, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGWelch View Post
Yesterday I picked up this beauty, a new Yairi Alvarez FYM66HD Honduran Mahogany Series OM. The Alvarez catalog lists this as a limited edition guitar. I don't know what that means, but guess they won't make a lot of these. I think it's in reference to the wood used, as they only have a limited supply of this aged lot.

I've been eyeing this one at the local music store for awhile, and finally managed to work out a deal with the store owner on it. I'm very impressed with it, fit and finish is exceptional, better than a Martin CEO-7 which I had just been looking at earlier in the day at another store. That Martin is similarly priced with some similar specs, though very different style of course. I guess it is fair to compare them, and I would say the Yairi is just a little more polished. That Martin is a "vintage" styled guitar, so it's not fair to compare them in terms of style, but I still think the Martin felt kind of rough in some of the workmanship. The edges of everything weren't as detailed as the Yairi. In terms of playability and sound, probably very comparable between these two, though I didn't get to play them side by side, just from one store to the next.

In comparing the Yairi to the guitars I have, I mainly have dreadnaughts to compare it to, so it's not a very fair apples to apples comparison. The dreadnaughts are a 70's Gibson J-45, '03 Martin D-15 and an Alvarez AD610. All of these are spruce top and mahogany back/sides (the Alvarez AD610 is solid top only). The Yairi, being all mahogany, is a darker sound, but very rich. It has a full range, with good low end, though of course doesn't have the boom of the dreadnaughts. I got it as more of a picker, and the only other guitar that sounds as good for picking that I have is the Martin. The spruce on the Martin gives it a different sound picking, maybe lighter and has a cracking ring to it. The Yairi projects more on the high end though, or at least as much, even though it's a warmer tone. It's more bell like maybe. It's hard to put into words. I like both a lot for picking. I imagine the Martin would cut more when playing with other instruments, but as a solo playing guitar, the Yairi shines, which is what I got it for.

With strumming, the Yairi has a lot of depth and richness. Again, most similar to the Martin, just as much low end really, though not as boomy. More low end than the Gibson, actually, and more articulation between the notes. The Gibson has a much different sound, I don't think I've got the best example of a J-45 being it's a '70s era model, but it's a nice alternate and is a good one for singing accompaniment. For straight strumming, its' a toss up between the Yairi and Martin. Again, the Yairi probably sounds better on it's own, though I'd guess the Martin would do better if I was playing along with other instruments. Compared to the Alvarez, it's not a good match, with the Alvarez not being an all solid guitar just doesn't have the depth. It sounds fine for what it is, and I keep it because of all these guitars it's the only one with built in electronics. I've also got a Gregg Bennett OM guitar, but that's also not all solid, and isn't nearly as rich. It has cedar top and rosewood sides/back, so quite different, as well as having electronics, so it's for different purposes all together. It's nice for what it is, but not in the same league for richness and fullness of sound.

Anyway, this is my stable, and it's probably set now for a very long time...that according to my wife, with whom I can't disagree and am satisfied in not doing so.

BTW, in the photos you'll see a lot of reflections, it's a very shiny, glossy finish. It looks beautiful in person, and is very clean, that's not smudges on the finish. I like the reserved detailing on the guitar, it emphasizes the rich beauty of the wood, IMO.
Almost 5 years later and I'm so jealous. I'd love to get my hands on one of these. My Martin 00015 is the only all hog guitar I own. I love the mellowness of all mahogany 000s and this Yairi would, from the videos I've seen, be a dream to play. I'll just keep looking...
Old 01-27-2024, 11:35 PM
Runaway Tomato

My oh my, what a gorgeous instrument!!
Former AGF Moderator
Old 03-21-2024, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Do all of the FYM66HD guitars have a one-piece top?
Old 03-21-2024, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Tell me about the neck. I’m Yairi curious but haven’t ever seen one in the wild. IIRC, it’s listed at something less than 1.75 at the nut. Does it play as slim (maybe like a 90s Taylor) or do you notice the difference much at all?

BIG EDIT: old eyes didn’t catch that it’s an old thread. Question’s open to the floor for thoughts on their standard neck shape and feel.

Last edited by mas30066; 03-21-2024 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:22 PM

I find the necks to be perfectly shaped. A mild V shape at the nut transitioning to a round shape higher up. Very nice feel.
I just acquired a Masterworks Alvarez with the same neck profile, and I LOVE it. The Alvararez/Yairi models represent an incredible value.
Roger

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion