The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-15-2019, 02:17 PM

Default Need advice on picking out a new guitar

Hi all,

I just started learning (about 4 months ago, currently taking lessons) and playing the acoustic guitar.

I own a Yamaha FG830 dreadnought guitar and I am currently looking to purchase another guitar in a different guitar body shape.
(eventually I want to upgrade my Yamaha FG830 to a nicer guitar Like a Martin D-18)

Since I am just starting I am not sure what style of playing I want to pursue, I would like to experiment with all three (flat-picking, strumming, finger-style). They all sound good and have their different purposes. So I was hoping to find a guitar that is a good multi purpose one. But since I have a dreadnought guitar (Yamaha FG830) already, which could be used for flat picking. The new one could lean towards strumming and finger-style playing but, maybe with an emphasis on finger-style. I have been looking at a lot of different guitars in the OM, Grand Auditorium, Grand Symphony...etc body styles. But I seem to be having a hard time deciding which brand and model because, to me they all sound so good. I know playing a guitar before purchase is an important factor in choosing one you like, but some of the ones I have been looking at are not stocked at the guitar stores around me. Below you will find a list of the ones I have been looking at and I also listed some important specifications that I am looking for In a guitar.

I was just wondering if anyone could give some feedback on the ones I have listed below(quality, play ability, sound, workmanship....etc.) or suggest ones that are not listed.

Thank you for your time and help.

Guitars of interest:

Martin:
OM-18

Larrivee:
OM-05
OM-40

Taylor:
514ce

Washburn:
Woodline G110SWCE (WLG110SWCEK)

Seagull:
Maritime SWS Concert Hall CW Semi-Gloss QIT

Eastman:
AC522CE

Guitar specs:
Made in USA/Canada preferred
Good play ability (comfortable neck.....etc.)
Good Sustain.....etc...
25.5 scale (long scale)
Cost no more than $3,000
Solid wood top (spruce, cedar,.....etc)
Solid mahogany back and sides
Looking at an om style (Grand Auditorium, Grand Symphony...)
Old 03-15-2019, 02:42 PM

The first thing I always look at before purchasing a guitar is the neck. It is usually the most important part on a guitar for most of us because if the neck doesn't fit our hands, it won't be comfortable to play and we will not like it.

I would suggest playing a number of guitars with different necks and then decide which guitars you'll look at with necks with those dimensions or close to them. Your present guitar has a 1 11/16" nut where some of the ones you listed are wider. You may be comfortable with that but many are not. If you want to eventually play fingerstyle, a wider neck is usually preferred.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:03 PM

I hate it when someone answers an a or b question with c, but I would suggest you at least try an OM-21. For me, rosewood gets it on an OM better than mahogany.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathan_A View Post

I own a Yamaha FG830 dreadnought guitar and I am currently looking to purchase another guitar in a different guitar body shape.
(eventually I want to upgrade my Yamaha FG830 to a nicer guitar Like a Martin D-18)
The OM-18 fits the bill, you may find you don't miss playing a dred.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:12 PM

Do you like your Yamaha? Is there a reason you need to rush into a 2nd guitar? I ask that because you've only been playing 4 months. Just a suggestion but if you spent the next few months playing as many different guitars as you can it might help you determine what you like.

That said, the Larrivee OM-40 is a great guitar. Definitely give it a try.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:26 PM

my opinion is- doesnt matter what the name or cost is, what feels and sounds right is the right choice
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 03-15-2019, 04:44 PM

Johnathan ,
whats really important is that you look at a possible future guitar as something
that' s an adventure and fun . its always a good idea to take someone with you who has been playing for a while ( one of your friends )
so that they can play it and give you a real idea of what it will sound like - in other words they play you listen,
and doing alot of looking will give you an idea of what you like , as far as wood, sound and playability of the instrument .
I think if a person is a serious student they should possibly buy the best guitar they can afford ( if your sure its going to be something you really want )
working up the ladder from ok to great might mean 4 or 5 different guitars . I started with a Yamaha
12 string and then bought my '71 guild D-55 - which ive never regretted .
Old 03-15-2019, 05:13 PM

The Eastman is made in China, so that you could cross off you list if you really want to keep it to American/Canadian made. I don't know about the Washburn, but I believe the others are ok.

As for mohogany on an OM, I just got a new Yairi all mohogany body OM guitar (see my recent NGD post), so I obviously disagree with the commentor who said they don't like mohogany OM guitars.

I agree with those who say you need to play them and see which one "speaks" to you. I played a variety of OM/Parlour guitars before getting the Yairi, it spoke to me more than the others on multiple levels. I would have been happy with several that I tried, including an Eastman or a Martin, but I kept going back to the Yairi. It's that certainty in deciding that will make you happiest with a guitar long term, and you only get it from trying different ones to find it.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:29 PM

I’ll throw in a vote for the 514. The GA body style was designed to be Taylor’s “jack of all trades” body shape. My first decent guitar was a 114ce, and it served me well as I expirimented with different playing styles and developing my own voice on the instrument, as you are doing. I eventually found my “fit” in Gibson slope dreads, but my Taylor covered all the bases I needed it to for years (and I still break it out occasionally, as it’s VERY easy to play). The 500-series instruments are wonderful, and I’ve never played one I didn’t love. That being said, the Taylor sound is something that isn’t for everyone. The Elixirs that the guitars ship with seem to me to be WAY too bright, but string choice and gauge go a long way in taming this. As others have said, YMMV, so go play a TON, and you’ll be sure to find something that will make you want to play it all the time.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:20 PM

You've only been playing 4 months. You probably don't even know what you like at this point. I would take at least another 4 months and go out and play every guitar you can get your hands on and see what you learn.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:31 PM

You can flat pick, strum and fingerpick on your current guitar. At this point in time a different guitar probably won't assist in you developing any of these styles.

Whatever you purchase now will just be another good guitar being played by a beginner. I strongly recommend that you develop to an intermediate level before buying a top level guitar. Your requirements are likely to change as you develop your skills.

The FG830 is a very nice guitar for a beginner. If it hasn't been set up, I would spend $80-$90 getting that done in order to maximise the playing comfort level.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:39 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathan_A View Post
Since I am just starting I am not sure what style of playing I want to pursue
Then play that Yamaha for a few years until you find out. Being only four months in and already looking at $3000 guitars is a recipe for regret.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Too soon I think to start buying more guitars. Usually we are guitar acquisition enablers, but at 4 months you aren't even "walking" yet.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-15-2019, 06:43 PM

I have a Martin GPCPA4 Guitar and I love it. Since your playing a Yamaha, try one that has all solid wood.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:15 PM

Thank you, everyone for the replies and the recommendations. They all really helped me to realize that I need to slow down and develop my own playing and skills first, that will in return help me find the right guitar(s) in the end.

I think I may be getting a little ahead of myself in wanting to get another guitar right now. As stated in the replies, I think the best idea for me is to try out as many guitars as possible and wait until I have more playing time and have figured out what style of playing I like the most. Playing the guitar is something I see myself pursing for a very long time and would like to invest in a good guitar that will get better over time. This is probably my main motive in getting another guitar. But it is probably better to wait and at least I will have more time to save up and make a better decision.

Thanks again,

Johnathan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
choosing a guitar, finger style, flat picking, new guitar, strumming