The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-15-2019, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
I have a full drawer which I think of as the Museum of Failed Capos. In the end, I went back to and stuck with Shubbs and have them on all my guitars. They never disappoint.
I have accumulated a half dozen capos, including one that is like cinching a little strap. I only use one of them, because it is so simple, compact, adjustable, comes straight down evenly without messing up the tuning, and fits anything. I took a close look at it the other day and found Shubb on it. I see they are $23 at GC. I am going to get one more and give the rest away.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage40s View Post
I have accumulated a half dozen capos, including one that is like cinching a little strap. I only use one of them, because it is so simple, compact, adjustable, comes straight down evenly without messing up the tuning, and fits anything. I took a close look at it the other day and found Shubb on it. I see they are $23 at GC. I am going to get one more and give the rest away.
Is this the type strap capo you mentioned? This is a Dunlop I have had since the 60's. I wonder if Dunlop would put new rubber on it for me. lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0894.jpg (32.9 KB, 62 views)
2019 Martin CEO-9
Old 03-15-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomnimity View Post
Is this the type strap capo you mentioned? This is a Dunlop I have had since the 60's. I wonder if Dunlop would put new rubber on it for me. lol
I have one that I started using in the '80s. Not sure when it was made because it was my older sister's. I still have it but never use it. It does have wear marks on it from my 12 string, back in the day.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Now there's a memory - I used to have one of those, and there's a very good chance that I still have it. Somewhere
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-15-2019, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
How in the name of all that is good have I wound up with 11 capos? How is that even possible?
As long as you have 11 guitars, no rule is broken. If you are short a couple guitars, we can put you on probation until you get them.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes! That's it. It must go back to my 60's days. So cheap and compact. It was the perfect capo for the Washburn Rover I took on vacations for a year. They were made for each other :-(

Last edited by vintage40s; 03-15-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

37 or slightly more ....

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 03-15-2019, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Same here. I've tried many over the years thinking something might be better than the Shubb. I've stopped looking. I'm now convinced nothing is going to be better. I'd estimate I have about 10 non-Shubbs and 10 Shubbs. The only non-Shubbs that get any use are my modified Kysers.
Until very recently I would have said exactly the same as I had since 1984 when I got my first Shubb. But recently acquired Eliot Elite, G7th Heritage and Shubb Fine Tune capos have changed that view albeit at very high cost. Better sound and less tuning make them superior. Whether the price differentials are justified is very subjective.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 03-16-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I have a full drawer which I think of as the Museum of Failed Capos. In the end, I went back to and stuck with Shubbs and have them on all my guitars. They never disappoint.
That's funny! Can I steal it? - I have a drawer of failed pickups as well.

I stick with the Shubbs 99.99%. A friend looked at my standard Shubb C1 after I played and boinng-g-g-g-, the lights go on - "Why do you have the capo right on the fret?"

But for that special occasion the Elliot jewel comes out. It lives with my Maton Messiah 808 these days (not pictured here):

I also have a number of black finish guitars and just had to have the Shubb Capo Noir (black) for those!:

BluesKing777.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Default My capo cup runneth over

invite some of us over and watch them disappear...
Old 03-16-2019, 07:17 PM

I have literally hundreds of potential capo's.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-16-2019, 07:31 PM

A few days ago I ordered a red-beaked "Bird of Paradise Capo". Won't need any others after I get that one!
Old 03-16-2019, 07:47 PM

First, Slothead wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
How in the name of all that is good have I wound up with 11 capos? How is that even possible?
Whenever you turn out the lights, they breed. What's more, I'll bet you missed a few. Have you tried looking under the sofa cushions and beneath the bed?

Walk into the kitchen late at night sometime, and when you flip on the lights I'll bet you'll see LOTS of capos scuttling for cover...

Then Otto wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto View Post
Found myself taking different guitars to 3 different jams a week only to find I occasionally left my fingerpicks and capos in my practice room. Bought a leather pocket watch belt holder this week to take care of that problem. Now I only have to remember to put on my pants before I leave the house!
You know, there's a way to skip all that - start wearing a kilt and keep your capo in the sporran:

Kilt With Sporran

This way not only will you look stylish and fashion-forward, but you don't have to remember to wear pants. Sounds like a win-win to me!

Jayne noted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I will admit to being a total accessory junkie! I recently took inventory of my guitar-related items and discovered that I have a total of 13 regular capos and 4 cut capos for 5 guitars. Knowing which ones that I use on a regular basis, I have gathered 5 of those regular capos that I use the least and will donate to guitars4vets along with some tuners, picks and a couple of guitar straps.

It seems to come with the territory for some of us to collect these things over the years.
It does. Play guitar long enough time and all sorts of gadgets and gizmos start to accumulate.

Then gfirob and Jim wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Same here. I've tried many over the years thinking something might be better than the Shubb. I've stopped looking. I'm now convinced nothing is going to be better. I'd estimate I have about 10 non-Shubbs and 10 Shubbs. The only non-Shubbs that get any use are my modified Kysers.
That's exactly my situation. I will buy most of the new capos that come out on the market, try them a while, then go back to using the Shubb Deluxe capos that I prefer. All of my guitars have Shubb capos in their case pockets, and I keep a spare in the bag that I carry my music for church in, too, just in case someone in my church music group needs to borrow one.

Most of the other capos I buy to try out end up being given away. I've hung on to a few of them, just in case I acquire a guitar that might be perfect for one of them, but most of them get adopted out.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-16-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
A few days ago I ordered a red-beaked "Bird of Paradise Capo". Won't need any others after I get that one!
Hey, that's cool. I've tried those out a time or two, but never owned one. Once you get it let us know how you like it.

Where did you find it, anyway? I haven't seen those for sale in a while.

whm
Old 03-16-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Hey, that's cool. I've tried those out a time or two, but never owned one. Once you get it let us know how you like it.

Where did you find it, anyway? I haven't seen those for sale in a while. whm
I got this email on March 12 and immediately ordered one for $15.95:

"I just received news that my supplier has the red Bird of Paradise Capos in stock. Let me know if you need some or you can order online at
http://playbetterbluegrass.com./guitar_capo_108_ctg.htm Thanks, Jay Dreher, Clear Choice, LLC"

(It's the last capo listed at the bottom of the page)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion