The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-27-2019, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Fun At NAMM=part 2 Boutique Guitar Showcase

As I mentioned in Part One, I use to be a Commercial Guitar Photographer back in the 80’s to early 90’s. Before the ease of digital and photoshop(couple of low quality scans of my work from those days below)
The Event is limited to those who work in the industry and not open to the general public. Companies are showcasing their old and new products to retailers around the world.
I have been going to NAMM off and on since the early 80’s. Ah…. those were the days of less crowded showrooms.
Unfortunately those days are gone. I am told that Approximately 100 to 150 thousand people attend. It is but a four Day event. Super Crowded! And the Streets surrounding the Convention center is bumper to bumper
NAMM is a total assault on the senses. Constant noise and thousands upon thousands of products to see. And a steady stream of people moving upon the floors. It is held at the Anaheim convention center and it by far the largest people event held by them during the year. My friend, Benny Rodriquez of BJR Guitars(Guitar Luthier & repair-set up technician to so many guitar legends), of whom I roamed around with, Clocked us via a smart phone apt, as walking 4.5 miles each day. Needless to say between all the walking, noise, & sights to view, I could only make it through two of the four days. I was totally exhausted and rested all day Saturday.
If you don’t have a plan, you will quickly become overloaded and numb.
This year held a special place in my heart as it was a chance to meet and see some of the great acoustic guitar makers I have heard about on AGF. I have talked to many through the forum. But getting at chance to meet these great luthiers in person and touch-play their guitars was a big goal for me this year.
NAMM, is possibly the worst place to audition guitars. However, the Acoustic Section, Hall E, is downstairs, and by far the quietest of all halls. Hall E also opens one half hour before all the other halls. If you get there right at opening..you have at least one hour where it is quiet enough to Audition acoustic guitars. Still not ideal, but enough so that you can get a good idea about the guitars in question.
Also fairly new to NAMM is the Boutique Guitar Showcase. Unfortunately this is held upstairs in Hall D where the noise level is significantly louder. Still it was my chance to see and meet Forum Members.
It was so loud in Hall D…that I did nothing more than run my nails over the open strings while they were on their stands. But that did not stop me from having some wonderful conversations with each of these luthiers.
I have been watching the build threads on the custom side of the forum. In particular Dion Guitars was building guitars for the NAMM boutique showcase.
Each Custom maker has his unique characteristics that makes his or her’s guitar slightly different. Dion explained to me some very interesting differences in his guitars. He has No Back Braces! Wow. That is different.As stated from his website:
“Hollow Core Backs: This idea was given to me by Luthier Jeremy Clark. Made from 4 wood layers of alternating grain direction with a core of Nomex, this design allows me to create a very evenly stiff, very active back contributing greatly to the volume and tone of my instruments.”
He then told me that this system allows the back to move more freely. I was impressed. Just from the single run of my nails across the strings I could hear a clear even response.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=529271
In another luthiers booth in the Boutique guitar showcase, I found a beautiful Cocobolo Back guitar. (cocobolo is always eye candy to myself.) Much to my delight the guitars are made by a lovely English lady by the name of Rosie Heydenrych of TurnStone Guitars in the U.K.
We need more lady Luthiers! I Loved the note separation as I ran my fingers across her guitar. And I was even more pleased when she told me that Michael Watts ( Mr. Magic Fingers himself) had done a video review on this very same guitar. Just Beautiful sounding.
Oh how I had wished I had known about her before coming to NAMM and had watched some of Michaels other videos on her. Apparently she built a guitar with a Yew Top. Well, I have been a traditional archer= longbow and wood arrows since 1965. And Yew is one of the preferred woods of the Longbow. Especially the English longbow. Oh how I would have loved to have talked to her more about that guitar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XkIdrzYuYc
A few pictures of my work for NAMM from the old days of 80's & 90's

Part Three and Four tomorrow!

Last edited by AcousticDreams; 01-27-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
That reminds me way too much of an earwig.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-27-2019, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
That reminds me way too much of an earwig.
That is scary! Is that one of those Star Trek Earwig's?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion