The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-03-2018, 07:21 PM

Default Using Snowball Ice Mic with my computer

Our son gave us a Blue Snowball Ice mic, that apparently can plug and play. My question is am I able to use the windows media to record from the mic to files that I can then burn to disc or do I need to download some recording software?
Old 08-04-2018, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

As far as I know, Windows Media Player is just that... a player. I don't think there's a record function there. If I'm incorrect on that, I'm sure someone will chime in.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 08-04-2018, 08:23 PM

Audacity is free audio recording software that will allow you to record on a Windows computer. As I recall, Windows Media Player will let you make CD of the recordings.

There are more powerful products out there with more included features, but Audacity can do the job of recording from your USB mic.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-05-2018, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuker View Post
Our son gave us a Blue Snowball Ice mic, that apparently can plug and play. My question is am I able to use the windows media to record from the mic to files that I can then burn to disc or do I need to download some recording software?
Hi ic-etc

Nice gift.

I agree with Frank - Audacity is a full featured recording program, for both Windows and Mac and development has been ongoing for years keeping it functioning as systems update.

Have fun learning to record at home…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-07-2018, 02:47 AM

Hey, thanks everyone! Was able to make it work. The most frustrating thing was getting the mic to show up in the Audacity drop down. I'm not sure if my computer wasn't recognizing the mic, or what, but finally got that and am able to record. I think I'm good to go on this now. Again, thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD