The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-17-2019, 09:20 PM

I had a GS Mini for awhile and had to change the pick guard .
Put a solid black one on in the
Guild shape and it looked great.
Someone out there has it.
Wonder where it is.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:54 PM

The aesthetics of Taylors matches their tone.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:56 PM

The 2008 Fall Ltd. Koa/Cocobolo GS I had was one of the most beautiful guitars I’ve ever seen. The 916ce with the Florentine is equally beautiful. However, my fiddleback mahogany Bourgeois dread is no slouch!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 03-18-2019, 12:36 AM

I am totally with you. No one builds as attractive guitars as Taylor.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Taylors are nice, but there are others at and around their price point..

Avalon Ard-Ri L2-320 (see images)

Furch
The Avalon didn't strike me but that Furch did.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:01 AM

I’m going to go against the grain here. The Taylor aesthetic doesn’t do it for me. I think it’s mostly the pick guard that turns me off. I do like the looks of the 300 series guitars (322, 362, 522, 562), probably because I like the the slotted headstock while I’m not really a fan of the look of their standard paddle headstock.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousDevil View Post
I’m going to go against the grain here. The Taylor aesthetic doesn’t do it for me. I think it’s mostly the pick guard that turns me off. I do like the looks of the 300 series guitars (322, 362, 522, 562), probably because I like the the slotted headstock while I’m not really a fan of the look of their standard paddle headstock.
Same here , I really dislike the way their pickguards look
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 03-18-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
The aesthetics of Taylors matches their tone.
Lol..I notice you and I agree a lot wen it comes to Martins and Taylors..

For the record, I would never diss a taylor, as there are many taylor owners out there, they are a fine high quality guitar. I used to own several and probably will again in the future. But a martin is a martin.

ps. I wonder if all the new Taylors will eventually be like the builder's edition, the more rounded look, such as the bridge and heel...
Old 03-18-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
To me, the Taylor Grand Auditorium (x14/x14ce shape) is the most gorgeous guitar form I've seen. Its lines and contours just seem to flow into one another and it's comfortable to play, too.

I'm clearly biased, but agree 100%. When I first saw an 814ce, I feel in love with it. I'd always been more of an electric player, so I wasn't ready to spend that much on an acoustic, but my wonderful wife bought me an 814ce for my 50th birthday. It's just a beautiful design, is so comfortable to play and for what I do, is a wonderful sounding instrument.

I also had a 314ce that I played for about 5 years and liked it a lot. I've since sold it and bought a 426ce and 616ce and love them as well. They still have the same basic shape of the "14" that I love but the slightly bigger body of the GS gives it a bit of a boost. My 616ce is black with white bonding and is a very classy looking guitar. The 426ce is Tasmanian blackwood and is beautiful.

I completely respect and understand why some prefer Martins. They are obviously classic. But coming from the electric guitar world for most of my life, Taylor just feels right to me. No right or wrong IMO, just preference. Kind of like Gibson vs Fender for electrics. I wouldn't call either "better", just very different. I own both and appreciate the qualities of both.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 03-18-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryfly View Post
for the awful shaped pickguards!
^________ This

And the color/design of the pick-guards.

Here's the weird thing for me tho: I have never seen a Taylor Dread "in the wild." Every guitar at both the GCs are orchestra cutaways, every one I have ever seen any musician play live is the same. I know a lot of Taylor guys who only play Taylor and swear by them: No dreads. I have never seen, nor heard, a Taylor dread played live.

I know the make 'em. But, I've never seen one.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousDevil View Post
It's so subjective isn't it.
I find the traditional Martin headstock to be "blah" and archaic. For a lot of folks it represents tradition and vintage. My D18 is the epitome of simplicity of form and function, but it's traditional looks and old school pick guard are also rather boring. The flash is in the performance I like the Taylor pickguard and think it lends itself to the overall visual appeal of the guitars themselves.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-18-2019, 08:23 AM
Guitar Gourmet

You know, one of the wonderful things about our situation in the West is that there is lots of choice in guitars, unlike in England during the tough times and import embargoes. I, for one, love the looks of some Taylor guitars. That classic bridge with its sharp points is very attractive to me. There are other brands and style that aren't as attractive to me. But I share your enthusiasm.

Now, the lovely thing is that there are other aesthetic tastes and plenty of folks to cater to them. Someone was recently asking if we really needed all these guitar manufacturers. Well here's your answer: in a free market we need enough of them in order to cater to all the aesthetic points of view and the financial means of the customers. There are some who won't make it due to either poor aesthetics, bad marketing, bad physical construction, or no demand, but the popular audible and visual aesthetics account for the majority of these many makers.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-18-2019, 08:31 AM

Just take a close look at the K24ce. For a production guitar, the appointments are amazing. The Koa wood is awesome, maple bindings and maple inlays on the headstock and fretboard, maple purfling around the entire perimeter of fretboard and headstock....these are usually custom shop features.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChapinFan View Post
^________ This

And the color/design of the pick-guards.

Here's the weird thing for me tho: I have never seen a Taylor Dread "in the wild." Every guitar at both the GCs are orchestra cutaways, every one I have ever seen any musician play live is the same. I know a lot of Taylor guys who only play Taylor and swear by them: No dreads. I have never seen, nor heard, a Taylor dread played live.

I know the make 'em. But, I've never seen one.

Here’s my 1995 810. One of the best guitars I’ve ever played and one I’ll never get rid of.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 03-18-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
Every issue of Wood and Steel I get confirms the beauty of Taylor guitars, particularly those with chosen wood sets suitable for publication in Wood and Steel. Just some wonderful eye candy.
I hear ya! And the latest one showing the builder's edition GP. Man did I come close to buying a 717. But I have always wanted a Martin spruce/rosewood.

Perhaps i'll wait a couple years when Taylor is ALL V-class and I can get a 412-R with the wide 1 7/8 nut width, and with the V-class. They can't do it yet, I called,,they don't have the tooling they told me. Or maybe i'll get the 517 for some serious strumming, and use my OM-28 for fingerstyle. Yeah, that's what i'll do.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion