The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-17-2019, 04:19 PM

Default Eddie Holstein?

Found his original version of 'Jazzman' on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DauwE9WmyoU

I would like to track down whatever album this was on but could find
no info on the interwebs. Any fans here?
Old 03-17-2019, 06:55 PM

I knew Ed Holstein back when I lived in Chicago. I never heard anyone call him “Eddie,” but maybe some folks did. Ed was sort of the head of the Holstein clan of brothers: there was Ed, Fred and another brother who didn’t perform so far as I remember, but mainly worked behind the bar at Holstein’s, which at the time was a popular music venue on Lincoln Avenue in Chicago (that’s where I first saw Pierre Bensusan and Tom Paxton, among others.)

Anyway, there’s an anthology album called “A Gathering At The Earl Of Old Town,” which came out in 1970 or so and has the first recording of Steve Goodman singing “City Of New Orleans” and Ed Holstein singing “Jazz Man Blues,” which is the song you’re thinking of. It also had Ginni Clemmons singing “Wild Women Don’t Get The Blues,” a couple of songs by Jim Post and a couple by Fred Holstein as well as Ed.

In Chicago folk music circles Ed was widely regarded as the shrewd one among the brothers. Fred was very good looking and had a beautiful voice, but he was also a very volatile guy who could and would lash out if you happened to annoy him anytime after 8 pm. All of us on that scene quickly learned to stay well away from Fred when he was sitting at the bar, which basically meant whenever he was in the room.

Ed, on the other hand, always seemed sober and in control, and was pleasant in a “don’t waste my time” businesslike way. Not a lot of persiflage, but not even remotely as easy to anger as his brother.

That might be more information than you wanted, but look for “A Gathering At The Earl Of Old Town.” That might well have been the first album that Rounder Records ever put out, so you might be able to find it on vinyl or even as a CD.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-18-2019, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
look for “A Gathering At The Earl Of Old Town.” That might well have been the first album that Rounder Records ever put out, so you might be able to find it on vinyl or even as a CD.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
It should still be available; I got a copy off Amazon a year or so ago...
Old 03-18-2019, 06:32 AM

I appreciate the back story Wade. It is on Amazon for around $35 for a used copy. I was only aware of PPL's cover of 'Jazzman', which is pretty great and VERY different from Ed's original.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:32 PM

Who (or what) is PPL?

whm
Old 03-18-2019, 12:47 PM

Pure Prairie League.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:53 PM

Oh, okay.

I'm sure the Pure Prairie League's version of "Jazz Man" is smoother - Ed's never been known for having a good singing voice. Fred was the one who got the great pipes.

whm
Old 03-18-2019, 12:53 PM

I'm a lifelong Chicago guy, and I saw the Holsteins perform multiple times at the Earl of Old Town and at Somebody Else's Troubles. Fred died too young, but Ed is still around and teaching at the Old Town School.
About a month ago, he opened for Bonnie Koloc in a concert that I attended at the school's auditorium. He has become quite the raconteur, and told a very funny story (too long for me to write about here) about the song Jazzman. Very entertaining act. By the way, Bonnie Koloc still has great pipes, even in her 70's.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

As soon as I saw the name Ed Holstein my brain said to me "Jazzman".
One of the songs I used t sing back in the day and my influence was the tom rush version on Wrong End of the Rainbow.

I clicked on your link and listened to the original version, both Eds and Toms have a dobro side - player.
I prefer Tom's, but then tom was the guy who made me first take up guitar.

Then, of course there's a very skillful version by one f my all time favourite bands - Pure Prairie League!

Maybe I'll dig my version out over next weekend!

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 03-18-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post
I'm a lifelong Chicago guy, and I saw the Holsteins perform multiple times at the Earl of Old Town and at Somebody Else's Troubles. Fred died too young, but Ed is still around and teaching at the Old Town School.
About a month ago, he opened for Bonnie Koloc in a concert that I attended at the school's auditorium. He has become quite the raconteur, and told a very funny story (too long for me to write about here) about the song Jazzman. Very entertaining act. By the way, Bonnie Koloc still has great pipes, even in her 70's.
Bonnie Koloc is one of those performers who never reached national popularity but had the voice and had the talent to do so. She put out an album when I was still in high school called "After All This Time" that was just a great record. I had a copy and listened to it a LOT.

whm
Old 03-18-2019, 01:38 PM

Yeah, "After All This Time" was/is stunningly beautiful.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:53 PM

Another favorite of mine by Ed Holstein is "Victoria's Morning." I don't know if anyone besides Bonnie Koloc ever recorded it. Her version, if you can find it, is hauntingly beautiful. Ed wrote is very young (18?).

Old 03-18-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
As soon as I saw the name Ed Holstein my brain said to me "Jazzman".
One of the songs I used t sing back in the day and my influence was the tom rush version on Wrong End of the Rainbow.

I clicked on your link and listened to the original version, both Eds and Toms have a dobro side - player.
I prefer Tom's, but then tom was the guy who made me first take up guitar.

Then, of course there's a very skillful version by one f my all time favourite bands - Pure Prairie League!

Maybe I'll dig my version out over next weekend!
Post it up, I'd like to hear it!
Old 03-18-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Oh, okay.

I'm sure the Pure Prairie League's version of "Jazz Man" is smoother - Ed's never been known for having a good singing voice. Fred was the one who got the great pipes.

whm
Ed's original has a contemplative/unresolved feel that really moves me. I'm working up a version that, hopefully, has some of that going on.
PPL's cover rocks in it's own way and Craig Fuller's vocal is inspired.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:46 PM

Hi All. I rarely post, but seeing Ed's name pop up here is pretty neat. I spend about 3 years taking his long running finger style class at the old town school here in chicago. The man is one of the best story tellers I've ever encountered. He saw so many folk and blues legends come through their venue. Much of what I play now is influenced by what I learned from Ed. He is a great guy.

For those who might be interested, Ed came out with a solo CD about 10 years ago. Simply titled Eddie Holstein. It is a really good mix of studio and live recodings. Bonnie Koloc makes an appearance on one song. Don't know if it is still available or not, but worth a try.

MarkC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion