The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-23-2006, 12:54 PM

I agree with Markm, just call. Most places are hungry for people to come and entertain the troops. No, I've never been paid for it from the retirement center or nursing home, but it has been an extension of my church job. I'd add to his hymn list:

Amazing Grace!
I'll Fly Away
The Old Rugged Cross
In the Garden
Victory in Jesus
Because He Lives
Love Lifted Me
His Eye Is On the Sparrow
How Great Thou Art
Trust and Obey
What a Friend We Have in Jesus

(Just don't get confused and sing "When the Roll Is Called Up There, I'll Be Yonder" )

An excellent source, if you need one, of these old hymns, in a large print format, is Heritage Hymnal, Heart-Warming Favorites, published by Genevox, available at LifeWay Christian Bookstores.

cotten
Old 01-23-2006, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten
An excellent source, if you need one, of these old hymns, in a large print format, is Heritage Hymnal, Heart-Warming Favorites, published by Genevox, available at LifeWay Christian Bookstores.

cotten
Is the format guitar friendly?

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:23 PM

I haven't played at a nursing home. Actually, my gig is for a library system that offers a Seniors Night once a month. The pay is pretty good and they really do enjoy the sing-a-long. They hire me once or twice a year. One is always "oldies" and the other is in December for a Christmas sing-a-long.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:15 PM

If you are looking to volunteer your service nursing homes and assisted living homes are always looking for entertainment. All you need to do is ask the home manager or activity director they'll be happy to have your services. I started out volunteering to play, after one of the sessions the activity director asked me if I could be booked monthly and how much I would charge. Make money by playing music? Now there's a novel idea. Turns out the going rate is between $25 and $50 for a 1 hour set. 1 hour is the longest I play and you need to treat it like a pro or you won't keep their attention that long. My set list is pretty lively and includes some of the following: aint she sweet, five foot two eyes of blue, darktown strutters ball, anytime, amazing grace, you are my sunshine, let me call you sweetheart,country roads, etc. No matter what the condition of the person it seems that they become an audience like any other the second the music starts to play. Good Luck.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:31 PM

Wow - this is a great thread. Thanks for all the posts. That http://www.heart-soul-music.com/ link is particularly good for folks interested in singing for the elders.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm2553
Just call the home. They normally have you talk to the activity director, tell them what you would like to do. I like to meet with that person in person. Once you have done it once, it gets even easier. We have taken our Church group down the same day we called to ask if it was OK.
I have always been a volunteer, I don't know about if you where looking to get paid. Most of the homes around us are pretty small, under 100 beds, they just can't afford much. Once they see you are on the up and up, you will have no problems. Your only regret is having not done it sooner.

This is great advice. I'm happy to volunteer -- I do have a day job, so money's not an issue, and have always been a volunteer church musician. I think your last sentence says it all. Thank you!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell