The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-06-2020, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

I'm with the rest of the 'keep 'em' crowd. I have a bunch of guitars that my playing doesn't warrant, and it's great inspiration, healing and downright fabulous fun to enjoy each one.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:02 PM

Well, life is short, get the Furch

😎
Old 06-06-2020, 09:46 PM

Keep them. Sell your body. I didn't say to science...
Old 06-07-2020, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
Another vote for keeping the Gibson and Martin. In retirement, and I speak from experience here, it's great to have old friends.
What he said. I think you would regret it if you let them go, they have a lot of your soul in them.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:59 AM

My process is to keep asking myself until I know I'm ready to let them go. Sometimes I've backed off, sometimes I've pulled the trigger. Knowing there is only so much time left for any of use to play guitar helps - do I want to squander that time on one I don't love when I have a several that I do love? Is having this guitar stopping me from buying one that I'm obsessed with? Is it replaceable if I decide I miss it? Does it have sentimental value (and I'm careful to try and be sentimental about people and not experiences)?

I've sold more in the past year than I ever have, and I don't regret any - they were part of my learning about different guitars and the path to my current favorites. Tastes change, styles change, uses change and that's okay. There are also some that I held onto and I'm happy about them too. You'll know in time what decision is right for you. Don't let the internet second-guess you.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:18 PM

Don't sell them, you'll live to regret it. I still own my 1968 Gibson Hummingbird that I have owned since 1972. I don't play it much because I have others that I like better. There have been several close calls where I almost parted with it. But every now and then, I take it out of the case and it feels like an old friend and sounds like angels singing. I have had many guitars over the years and have traded and sold my share. Some of them I still regret to this day. Play them and enjoy them, because when they're gone, you won't be getting them back.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion