The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-21-2020, 04:43 PM

Got a Custom OM-15M grom LA Guitar and it's wonderful. I mainly play dreads but the smaller size on that one doesn't bother me. Anything smaller I'm not a fan of.
  • Gibson J-15
  • Taylor 514CE
  • Taylor 254CE DLX
  • Taylor 214CE
Old 05-21-2020, 04:58 PM

The 000-15M is a TON of bang for the buck, and the bucks aren't a lot. It's one of the few guitars in the Martin line-up with solid ebony pins instead of plastic. It also has an EIR finger board, bridge, and head plate. I've never heard of anyone not liking any 15 from any year.

I've owned two. Most recently was an LA Custom in full gloss, tortoise binding, and 1-3/4" nut though I prefer the 1-11/16". It was sold to fund a D-18 custom with the narrower neck.

About 15 years ago I had a 2003 000-15 (no M). These were before Sapele was used on the 15's for awhile which were prior to the updated current M designation. but it was all solid 'hog and had a decal herringbone rosette and clunky enclosed tuners. Very spartan and plain Jane. I loved it and it's the only guitar I regret foolishly selling. When our collective exile is over I just might look for another early one.

FYI...Maury has one in stock....free shipping, no sales tax, generous try-out, and you might be surprised at the price he quotes you.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:13 PM

I've had an OOO-15M for a few years; it's great. Everyone who picks it up loves it, and that includes me. It's different from my other guitars, both in appearance and tone. And when I say "different", I mean that in a good way. I have a friend who owns a couple of custom-built, high-end guitars, and whenever I'm about to come over there, he always says, "hey, bring that mahogany Martin. I love that thing."
I don't think you'll be sorry if you get a 15 series of any size.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:30 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't 1 11/16th nut only 1.5mm narrower than 1 3/4"? I don't have large hands and always played narrow boards with thin necks just because. However, I bought a '63 strat neck and couldn't be happier with the bigger neck. Much more comfortable than the skinny necks. All this to say, don't rule out a slightly wider neck just because you're "cursed" with small hands.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnsgnOfIndustry View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't 1 11/16th nut only 1.5mm narrower than 1 3/4"? I don't have large hands and always played narrow boards with thin necks just because. However, I bought a '63 strat neck and couldn't be happier with the bigger neck. Much more comfortable than the skinny necks. All this to say, don't rule out a slightly wider neck just because you're "cursed" with small hands.
In my early years as a guitar player the nut width was not a consideration at all. After I joined AGF, I let myself be convinced that 1 3/4" is the way to go. But I realized about 5 years ago that 1 23/32" is optimal for me, so my Worland custom has that nut width per my request. And it turns out that 1 11/16" is more comfortable to me than 1 3/4", although I can play either. (My other two guitars have the 1 11/16 nut width.)

In short, every millimeter matters to me when it comes to nut width.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:51 PM

I have a GS-mini and "moved up" to a 00-15M. Not sure how you look at it, but I see them as kind-of equivalent (small fingerpickers). They have very different character imho though.

The Martin is straight up louder, and has bigger dynamic range. Especially in the treble, the highs have just so much more presence than on the GS-mini. The Martin is just a more responsive guitar than that Taylor, it's kind of like driving a sports car compared to driving a minivan.

The 00-15M does have this clangy, aggressive sound, especially when strummed. More of a cutting tone, rather than the muted mellow vibe of the GS. The Martin is also a lot more unforgiving to play; flub a note and you'll hear it. On the mini, minor inconsistencies gets drowned out more by the overal pudgyness of the sound.

I like them both though but for different reasons.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcomber View Post
The Music Emporium here in Lexington stocks Martin 15 series guitars, and I believe they will allow you to make an appointment to visit the shop. Give 'em a call!
This is VERY intriguing information. I follow them on IG because they always get all sorts of vintage goodies. We're heading to my homeland of upstate NY tomorrow (first excursion since January 30th) to change up the scenery and spend some time on our little lake cottage, but if I've held off from ordering at that point then I think I'm going to have to make a trip up there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
One more to consider is the Martin 00-DB Jeff Tweedy model. It’s a 00 all mahogany (with some extra embellishments like gloss body, sustainable woods, beautiful burst) but with a DEEP body. I’ve owned one and now have a 000-15SM. I can say the deep body gives a little extra oomph to the sound without feeling like a 000 in your lap. Something to consider.
I will look into this! Although I think I might be kinda into the whole "plain jain" thing so I'm wondering if the burst might be a bit much for me. I do love the idea of the deep body, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtopGT View Post
The 000-15M is a TON of bang for the buck, and the bucks aren't a lot. It's one of the few guitars in the Martin line-up with solid ebony pins instead of plastic. It also has an EIR finger board, bridge, and head plate. I've never heard of anyone not liking any 15 from any year.

I've owned two. Most recently was an LA Custom in full gloss, tortoise binding, and 1-3/4" nut though I prefer the 1-11/16". It was sold to fund a D-18 custom with the narrower neck.

About 15 years ago I had a 2003 000-15 (no M). These were before Sapele was used on the 15's for awhile which were prior to the updated current M designation. but it was all solid 'hog and had a decal herringbone rosette and clunky enclosed tuners. Very spartan and plain Jane. I loved it and it's the only guitar I regret foolishly selling. When our collective exile is over I just might look for another early one.

FYI...Maury has one in stock....free shipping, no sales tax, generous try-out, and you might be surprised at the price he quotes you.
Already been in touch with Maury and he's got a quote on the table for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasn View Post
I have a GS-mini and "moved up" to a 00-15M. Not sure how you look at it, but I see them as kind-of equivalent (small fingerpickers). They have very different character imho though.

The Martin is straight up louder, and has bigger dynamic range. Especially in the treble, the highs have just so much more presence than on the GS-mini. The Martin is just a more responsive guitar than that Taylor, it's kind of like driving a sports car compared to driving a minivan.

The 00-15M does have this clangy, aggressive sound, especially when strummed. More of a cutting tone, rather than the muted mellow vibe of the GS. The Martin is also a lot more unforgiving to play; flub a note and you'll hear it. On the mini, minor inconsistencies gets drowned out more by the overal pudgyness of the sound.

I like them both though but for different reasons.
This was my original intention..."how close can I get to an upgraded solid wood GS Mini". I truly love it -- it gets more playtime than probably any other guitar I've ever had..but (personally for me) it's just not quite enough to gig with, if that makes sense. After reading all of these responses I'm still just as torn as I was at the start

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok
Old 05-21-2020, 08:30 PM

I’m glad that you’re now considering between the 00-15 & 000-15. Either one you choose will be a good choice. I’m liking my 00-15m more each day. Got it in December last year with no regrets. This guitar looks and sounds so rustic that I told myself before I bought it that it is a guitar that I must have n own at least once in my lifetime. Go for it!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 05-21-2020, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
I’m glad that you’re now considering between the 00-15 & 000-15. Either one you choose will be a good choice. I’m liking my 00-15m more each day. Got it in December last year with no regrets. This guitar looks and sounds so rustic that I told myself before I bought it that it is a guitar that I must have n own at least once in my lifetime. Go for it!
Ahh, I see that you ALSO own a GS Mini Koa!! Me too. My original intention here was to get as close as I could go an upgraded GS Mini. How would you say the two compare? I realize that koa is a very different wood than mahogany, but curious about your thoughts on volume and overall feel in terms of stature.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 05-21-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
Ahh, I see that you ALSO own a GS Mini Koa!! Me too. My original intention here was to get as close as I could go an upgraded GS Mini. How would you say the two compare? I realize that koa is a very different wood than mahogany, but curious about your thoughts on volume and overall feel in terms of stature.

My 00-15m and my GS Mini koa are the 2 guitars I play the most. The 25.4” scale feels a bit longer than the gs mini but if you use a capo when you play, then it is ideal. In terms of loudness, they are about equal. Initially, the gs mini was slightly louder as it is now 2.5 years old and well-played in. The 00-15m has opened up somewhat and now they’re equally loud. I love both the koa n mahogany tone as they are both hardwood tops and do take a little longer to break in. I did find the 00-15m a little boxy-sounding initially but it’s good now. In terms of stature for comfort, both are very comfortable to play. Btw, I weighed both of them recently n was surprised that my 00-15m is 1.55kg and my gs mini koa is 1.67kg. Hope the above information is helpful !
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 05-21-2020, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
My 00-15m and my GS Mini koa are the 2 guitars I play the most. The 25.4” scale feels a bit longer than the gs mini but if you use a capo when you play, then it is ideal. In terms of loudness, they are about equal. Initially, the gs mini was slightly louder as it is now 2.5 years old and well-played in. The 00-15m has opened up somewhat and now they’re equally loud. I love both the koa n mahogany tone as they are both hardwood tops and do take a little longer to break in. I did find the 00-15m a little boxy-sounding initially but it’s good now. In terms of stature for comfort, both are very comfortable to play. Btw, I weighed both of them recently n was surprised that my 00-15m is 1.55kg and my gs mini koa is 1.67kg. Hope the above information is helpful !
Very interesting...it makes my wheels turn. I have always felt a bit of an uncomfortable shift when going from my GS Mini to my gigging guitars. Ideally, I want to love, love, LOVE playing my gigging guitar equally. Maybe the 00 is the right choice as I tend to steer away from picking up anything much bigger than my GS Mini when I'm playing at home. If I need more bass, I can always adjust electronically. Also, I recently purchased a Larrivee 0-40R that didn't work out because of a minor issue..but I found that guitar to sound a bit boxy. My gut says the 00 could be just right for me.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 05-22-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
This is VERY intriguing information. I follow them on IG because they always get all sorts of vintage goodies. We're heading to my homeland of upstate NY tomorrow (first excursion since January 30th) to change up the scenery and spend some time on our little lake cottage, but if I've held off from ordering at that point then I think I'm going to have to make a trip up there!
If you've never been to TME, you're in for a real treat, because the shop is extraordinary. Pity that you won't be able to experience it under "normal" circumstances because the customers trying out instruments in the shop tend to be very good players. The shop maintains a comfortable, laid-back vibe, and the staff are all great folks.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 05-22-2020, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

I have a custom 00-15m from LA Guitar Sales, well played in, I've owned it eight years. Perfect guitar, perfect size, better balanced than the 000-15s I owned for a short time. Like it much better than a couple OM-15 i had.

For me it was a search to find the right one, had a bunch of the 15 series including a J-15.

So obviously I'd recommend the 00.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
I have a custom 00-15m from LA Guitar Sales, well played in, I've owned it eight years. Perfect guitar, perfect size, better balanced than the 000-15s I owned for a short time. Like it much better than a couple OM-15 i had.

For me it was a search to find the right one, had a bunch of the 15 series including a J-15.

So obviously I'd recommend the 00.
Started shopping out prices for the 00. I think in my heart of hearts, I know I’d steer from the 000 as it’s bigger than what I know I love.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 05-22-2020, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Started shopping out prices for the 00. I think in my heart of hearts, I know I’d steer from the 000 as it’s bigger than what I know I love.
I think you would love either one but it sounds like you would be apt to pick up the double 0 more frequently. In the end that is what matters. IMO
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion