The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-19-2020, 06:37 AM

But its a plastic. I use it for small repairs in woodworking, and pens too. But I cant imagine it would be any better than other options as a complete finish. Too hard to control and repair over a large flat surface. And its a plastic.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
But its a plastic... And its a plastic.
Uhm, what did you think lacquers, urethanes and similar finishes are?

It's pretty easy to control the application of CA glue, particularly over larger areas. A trowel is one method of application.

In turning, it is applied like any other "turner's polish": lathe on low speed, material on rag, present rag to turning wood. Thin coats, with or without subsequent polishing at higher speeds. I've done that numerous times on turnings.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

I did a CA a finish on a whole guitar about 20 years ago. It can be applied a drop or two as a time by put the hand in an acetate bag and rubbing it on a bit like applying French polish. I use seal-a-meal bags. I found it challenging to create an even film thickness, and that is a deal breaker for me.

In retrospect, CA produces an acrylic finish which is very hard and has a serious structural component. Both of these qualities are the last thing I want on my guitars.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:35 AM

I know nothing, but no one has mentioned the potential effect on tone?
Old 04-19-2020, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

I only ask because when you talk finish, its about protecting the material underneath - and for that protection, you look at different qualities that the material offers. Like I said, UV resistance, scratch resistance, flexibility, ease of application, ease of repair, etc. Finish is not just about hardness - it’s rarely about hardness. And even after you consider all the other qualities, you have to consider the costs - financial, and possibly, health -

I’ve used CA on small turnings. I know it works, but I also know most CA formulas aren’t designed for the qualities you usually want in a finish, and at least the stuff I’m buying for my business, is NOT cheap, and so I wonder what people would really be hoping to gain from using it? I only ask, because it seems like I see alot of downsides, and very few upsides - what am I missing?
Old 04-20-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Abrahamson View Post
How is it applied?
Do you pour it on? Dip? Drop? Brush? Spray?
I've just never head of using it for anything but a drop fill for finish work.
When I do lathe turnings (duck calls mostly) and finish with CA, I use piece of paper to apply the glue in multiple thin coats. The guys who use it for pore filling mostly push it around with a spatula or old credit card or something similar.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:45 AM

Any thoughts on acoustic sound performance?
Old 04-20-2020, 09:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Uneven thickness, super hard, and structural are all comments about tone!
Old 04-20-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxwood View Post
Any thoughts on acoustic sound performance?
You need to read between the lines somewhat, but Mr. Sexauer alludes to it here:
"In retrospect, CA produces an acrylic finish which is very hard and has a serious structural component. Both of these qualities are the last thing I want on my guitars. "

edit - and he responds as I was typing....
Old 04-20-2020, 01:58 PM

The advantage is speed. You can have a completely cured finish in a minute or two. I mainly use it for repair of dings, and in one case, belt buckle damage that was pretty large. I also have used it for neck shafts where the neck has been reshaped. But I would not consider finishing a whole soundboard with it, much less a whole guitar, for the reasons cited.
I compare it to the polyester finishes on Asian guitars (not exactly a ringing endorsement).
Old 02-27-2023, 10:56 AM

I recently refinished an acoustic guitar neck in GlueBoost, worked out beautifully, but it's a little bit sticky under the fingers when new, see how it beds in.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
ca glue, cyanoacrylate, filling, finishing