The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-27-2020, 05:09 AM
Charter Member

Default Any classical music fans here?

I was listening to a discussion recently and I'm just curious... who are your favorite classical composers? Maybe somebody will introduce me to a composer I know little about.

I was lucky enough to grow up in a city that featured a lot of great classical music and I enjoy it now even more than I did when I was young. It can be the lovely solitude of a piano sonata or the grand majesty of a symphony.

Beethoven takes the top spot for me, but not far behind are Dvorak, Tchaikovsky and Schubert. Anybody else?
Old 03-27-2020, 05:40 AM

I am (I like just about all music), but can't say I am really knowledgeable. I had a good music teacher in gradeschool one year and we studied the Baroque and Classical periods so I tend to lean towards those. No specific favorite. My daughter plays flute so I have been listening to specific flute music mostly as recorded by Jean-Pierre Rampal.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:42 AM

When I attended BG Festivals, I usually had a classical music FM station, WCAR in Lansing, on in the afternoons when I took a nap. I often figured that I was probably the only person in that RV park listening to it. I guess I was wrong.

When people ask me what type of music do you like, I always answer, "All types--- except RAP"!

Fog

P.S. My favorite is Shubert's "Serenade".

Last edited by Fogducker; 03-29-2020 at 06:26 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
I was listening to a discussion recently and I'm just curious... who are your favorite classical composers? Maybe somebody will introduce me to a composer I know little about.

I was lucky enough to grow up in a city that featured a lot of great classical music and I enjoy it now even more than I did when I was young. It can be the lovely solitude of a piano sonata or the grand majesty of a symphony.

Beethoven takes the top spot for me, but not far behind are Dvorak, Tchaikovsky and Schubert. Anybody else?
Yep. I tend to veer into the 19th C more of late.

Off topic: there was a stellar film years back Imortal Beloved in which Gary Oldman played Beethoven. It’s a cheap rental on Amazon. For some reason, it got very little buzz.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 03-27-2020, 05:43 AM

Gustav Mahler. If you like Beethoven, I think you'd also enjoy his symphonies.

For something modern and amazing, check out Max Richter's interpretation of Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons."

I listen to Sirius radio's Symphony Hall a lot and have discovered a lot of composers to explore more fully - and a few to avoid LOL.

Last edited by Fretboard Phil; 04-06-2020 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

BB... I've got a couple of Rampal CDs. Beautiful flautist! I need to get those out and listen to them.

Fog... I tend to agree, but I've never learned to like country either. I know that puts me in a minority. Lol...

JO... Oh yes, I've seen "Immortal Beloved" several times. I actually thought it was better than "Amadeus," but I could be biased. Both soundtracks were incredible.

Phil... Yes, Mahler's symphonies are really something. Big, grand pieces. Thanks for the reminder! I need to listen to them more closely.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:59 AM

Beethoven, Mahler, Rossini.

One of my favourite classical pieces is Albinoni's Adagio but you don't have to go back in time to get good compositions. There are a lot of more modern classical composers out there (mainly doing film scores). John Barry's 'Somewhere it Time' is magical........ Although that is about going back in time.

YouTube
Old 03-27-2020, 06:00 AM

My daughter was into Opera and Classical stuff and introduced me to a ton of stuff I would have never known about.

Go figure...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 03-27-2020, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Oz... Rossini... thanks! I've heard Albinoni's Adagio... beautiful.

So, who do you like, Murph?
Old 03-27-2020, 06:36 AM

I was heavily into classical when I was a lad, but drifted away after I got out of the Army.
For the most part, I liked those big “power of the orchestra” compositions... A lot of Russians like Rimsky-Korsokov, Shostakovich, Mussorgsky....

When I was in the army, (mid 60s...) I had one of those fold-up portable record players, and I’d listen with headphones.
One day the guys in my “bay” said, “Hey Doc, (all medics are “Doc”) why don’t you let us listen?”
So I pulled out the headphone jack and let the strains of Shostakovich’s “Concerto for Cello” fill the room...

“Plug it back in, plug it back in!”
Old 03-27-2020, 06:39 AM
Musical minimalist

I tend to lean toward string quartets - no particular composer, but there are a few of Mozart's I like:

This one is my favorite...Not sure what happened, but after you click the play button and it says unavailable - click "watch on Youtube" and it will play

Pretty nice as well...

As I've gotten older, I tend to like more sparse instrumentation and the interplay between four stringed instruments is pretty appealing!

Last edited by fitness1; 03-27-2020 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

Most of Albinoni’s Adagio is actually a 20th century composition by Remo Giazotto, based on a “fragment” of music by Albinoni that Giazotto discovered:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adagio_in_G_minor

There are some guitar transcriptions out there, some better than others.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

I do listen to a lot of it.
For pure listening pleasure and emotional "de-stressing", J.S. Bach is at the summit for me, in all the various forms he composed in, both instrumental and vocal. The lute and cello suites, the keyboard and organ works, violin partita, cantatas, concertos...the list of glorious works is endless, and his influence seems to have had no bounds, across generations of noteworthy composers after him, and even in today's modern music.
His music tends to soothe and hit all the right spots emotionally. Yes, I'm a big fan
I've also been listening to Chopin Nocturnes lately while on runs or walks. It's wonderful music for being outside in nature.
For more guitar based music, I tend to favor modern era composers like Lauro and Villa-Lobos.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 03-27-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Chopin Nocturnes lately while on runs or walks. It's wonderful music for being outside in nature.
Chopin is great!

I'm currently on a Franz Liszt bender. I find his work very compelling - though not many are able to play it.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:47 AM

My two favorite classical pieces are Scheherazade by Rimsky-Korsakov and Eine Kleine Nachtmusik by Mozart.

Funny thing about the movie Immortal Beloved. You would have thought they'd have had Beethoven's name in the title but at the time of its release the Beethoven movies were all about a Saint Bernard dog. So I can see why they left Beethoven out of the title.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic