The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2020, 09:30 PM

Default Does anyone else in your family share your enthusiasm for guitars?

I had a rock band years ago (champion hairpuller...hence my handle) with my younger brother. My older sister was a fine pianist, and my mom played some uke and banjo.
My oldest son was a good guitar player, but hasn’t played much for a few years.
Scott

Last edited by hairpuller; 02-18-2020 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:09 PM

Default The Cat T. Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedartop52 View Post
One of our old dogs will give my guitar a lick whenever I play...my biggest fan
I had a cat 🐱 but he Left after I took up the steel guitar. I think he’s living in a hippie cat colony in Palm 🏝 Beach.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:21 PM

My mom and dad did not play guitar, but both of them sang and loved music. I and my 4 siblings all took music lessons. I took piano accordion lessons.
All five siblings ended up playing guitar. My wife pays guitar as do both of my sons. I have 6 nephews and nieces, 4 of whom play guitar, but the other two are also musical. All of my family members double on at least one other instrument.
My sons both are professional musicians. One of my son's music has taken him all over the world. He has played the Sydney Opera House twice this year. While I taught them a few things earlier on, they could sure teach me a lot.

My sons Darcy and Clayton 40 years ago

Darcy at Mariposa

Clay at The Cameron House
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .

Last edited by PHJim; 02-19-2020 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:37 AM

My younger sister and her 18 year old granddaughter play (we often play together) and my wife will occasionally say "Oooo, that one looks nice. Have you thought about buying it?" But that's about the extent of it.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:15 AM
Charter Member

Reading through these posts, y'all got me thinking about my father, who
passed about 40 years ago... he was a real musician. We had a piano,
he read music and played it, so did my sister...

Daddy "puked his way to Europe on the troop ships" in WWII - he wasn't
a front-line soldier, he was in the Army/Airforce band, he played trombone.
I found this in a V-mail (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-mail) letter to his mother:

... we played our first street parade
in Germany the other day in some town I've
forgotten the name. I suspect its the first street
parade to be held here by US troops in the present war.
Crowds of civilians lined the streets and windows. They
like marching and music, and the old trombones
really blared up and down the streets...

-Mike
Old 02-19-2020, 10:11 AM

My daughter sings. My son plays guitar, bass and piano, and writes songs, currently satires for his college singing group.

He loves guitar and, like me, always has to have one around. Sharing guitar with him - showing him the basics, some cool licks, or helping him learn the craft of songwriting - has been a special touchpoint for us to share.

He asked for and will be getting my 1946 Gibson J-45 when the time is right.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:47 AM

I’ve always had people around me who supported my music. Neither of my parents played, but they had a big old record collection, bought my early instruments and have been to many, many gigs through the years. My sister played piano and guitar as an adolescent and teen, but plays neither anymore.

My wife has always supported love of guitars and music (though it must drive her crazy at times). She finds me gigs, lets me buy guitars and equipment and never makes it seem like an imposition.

Both of my sons play guitar. My older son played bass first and more and more plays guitar and sings these days. My younger son has played for about 15 years and is an accomplished singer, guitar player, drummer, songwriter and performer. From the time he was about 13, we would often play gigs on successive nights. It allowed me to load in and out once for two pays - which I always liked. He’s a much better musician than I am.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 02-19-2020, 10:59 AM

My uncle played trombone in highschool band. I never got to hear him play.

I play guitar, recently took up mandolin, and was a percussionist in highschool. My son was also a percussionist in highschool and college. Hasn't picked up a pair of sticks since he graduated.

I have a niece who plays bass and recently was asked to start a band.

I have another niece who plays sax and flute. She is a freshman at Ohio University. Wants to be a music teacher. When she is home she will sit in with some of the local jazz bands on sax. She also has played in 2 different community orchestras.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 02-19-2020, 11:24 AM

There are a lot of musical and talented people in both my and my wife's families - unfortunately none of them live with us. My wife tolerates my guitar "obsession" - but only to a point. If she's trying to talk on the telephone or watch something on the television - or even trying to fall asleep before 10PM she is not a fan. I catch her singing along at other times though, so I'm guessing that she appreciates it to a point. She even tolerates our son's trumpet playing - even if he doesn't particularly like practicing. I wish he'd take up guitar but I was older than he was before the addiction took.

That being said, I don't particularly share my wife's "obsession" with fine wine; fancy cheese; clothes; shoes; handbags and luggage; hair products; etc.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:56 AM

Thanks for all your replies! I have enjoyed reading them. My daughter shares my enthusiasm for guitars and she has actually improved quite a bit over the years! She's even brave enough to do open mike nights and has gotten really positive feedback!

I tell her she has access to all my guitars as she's very respectful with them but she seems to favor my Taylor 214ce which is a good choice for her...
Martin X Series - X1/DE
Ibanez AEG10 NII
Fender Strat American Standard 1990
Fender Strat American Deluxe Strat 2012
PRS Custom 24 Cherry Sunburst
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Blackback PRO (Antique Ivory)
Old 02-19-2020, 12:05 PM

No. But, the kids are grown now and my family recognizes how much I enjoy playing music.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingboy68 View Post
Both of my sons play guitar. My older son played bass first and more and more plays guitar and sings these days. My younger son has played for about 15 years and is an accomplished singer, guitar player, drummer, songwriter and performer. From the time he was about 13, we would often play gigs on successive nights. It allowed me to load in and out once for two pays - which I always liked. He’s a much better musician than I am.
You sound like my dad! He always tells the bar owner that he plays for free, you just have to pay for load in/load out. So you get a discount for multiple nights. I've only been able to do that a few times in my gigging career. I was more worried about my gear disappearing in the time between gigs.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

One of my earliest memories is of my late Dad playing and singing Bert Jansch songs, which he learned from Bert himself back in the day. When I left home I missed that music so much that I bought myself an acoustic guitar to fill the gap... then I got totally hooked, and my old Dad would have been surprised to see that seed he planted forty years ago turn into a business like Wolfram today!

We're definitely a musical household - between us my wife, daughter and I play piano, violin, cello, church organ, trumpet and saxophone... but I am the only one who plays guitar. The family are all enthusiastic about it though, and love hearing me play, as do I when my wife and daughter play their chosen instruments.

Music is such a wonderful thing, and I always try to nurture it in anyone who is interested - regardless of their level of talent, everyone can have fun making music.

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:03 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I had no family or friend influence when I had the urge to play guitar back in the ‘70s. No one played any musical instrument whatsoever. I couldn’t help myself, so bought an electric and acoustic and learned on my own. My two sons have heard me play since they were born and at some point we bought them each an acoustic and later an electric. Our youngest has dabbled with playing, but it’s never really stuck. Our oldest still plays, but like me, he’s a perpetual couch noodler. Despite my unforced attempts over the years for us to play together, it really hasn’t materialized...with us, it’s more of a private at-home hobby, so we never really play together. I wish that wasn’t the case, but it is what it is. I’m happy that at least my elder son has music and playing as one of his two main hobbies for his own pleasure.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:04 PM
Custom Guitars

My father and I both build guitars in our shared woodshop but he doesn't play at all, just builds. We share a love for amazing wood and fine woodworking!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion