The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2019, 03:21 PM

I just got a sound clip from Wildwood. I mentioned that I'm interested in the bass tone and that I'm a heavy-handed rhythm guitar player so I asked them to play chords in the style of Neil Young or Grateful Dead. So the video clip they sent is basically a D chord the whole time He plays an E chord once and everything else doesn't utilize the low E or A strings.

Needless to say, the clip doesn't really provide anything useful to me and I don't have the heart to email him back asking again for another clip. With the love that is shown on here for the AJ, I'm surprised nobody owns one of these.

My YouTube Grooves
Old 01-25-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdoctor View Post
So you have that same model AJ? The one with Amber Burst? And from what you're saying, the b/s wood looks and sounds like EIR? I really want to buy that guitar but I'm now scared off by the notion that bhilwara is a rosewood/hog hybrid. But if I'm understanding you correctly, this should not be a concern of mine. Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding you. I'm 'this' close to pulling the trigger on an AJ and I would like to buy that one specifically.
I bought this 1935 AJ RI, because it is a good substitute for my rosewood Martins ('55 D28 & '62 D21). And I play bluegrass, where the boomy sound of scalloped braced D28s seems to be at home. Anyhow, my AJ is louder and not as muddy sounding, very clear and balanced with strong lows, mids and highs. Mohagany - at least on many Martin D18s - has a rather nasal sound to my ear with certain odd overtones. There is none of that in my AJ. I just compared it to my brother's mahogany J45 last Wednesday. Of course, that model has a shorter scale, different bracing and is a different animal. I see you own a J45 yourself, and my brother's J45 is a particularily fine banner RI. But my AJ sounds way more beautiful, balanced and richer, waaay different. That Bhilwara stuff seems like a wonderful solution for AJs. Doc, I generally do not care for mahogany guitars very much, but this AJ has nothing to do with mahogany; I'm glad I went for the Bhilwara.

Last edited by Henry Eagle; 01-25-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
So, what next ?
"Mystic EIR?"
magical spruce, tantric fretboard, excaliber frets, transcendental neck, and nut and saddle of unicorn horn.

I guess there ought to be some "dragonglass" in there somewhere.
I would think that the frets would be of Valerian Steel. Or maybe the strings...
Old 01-25-2019, 07:01 PM

To add to a comment Andy made earlier - it's Magical Mystery Spruce.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Eagle View Post
I bought this 1935 AJ RI, because it is a good substitute for my rosewood Martins ('55 D28 & '62 D21). And I play bluegrass, where the boomy sound of scalloped braced D28s seems to be at home. Anyhow, my AJ is louder and not as muddy sounding, very clear and balanced with strong lows, mids and highs. Mohagany - at least on many Martin D18s - has a rather nasal sound to my ear with certain odd overtones. There is none of that in my AJ. I just compared it to my brother's mahogany J45 last Wednesday. Of course, that model has a shorter scale, different bracing and is a different animal. I see you own a J45 yourself, and my brother's J45 is a particularily fine banner RI. But my AJ sounds way more beautiful, balanced and richer, waaay different. That Bhilwara stuff seems like a wonderful solution for AJs. Doc, I generally do not care for mahogany guitars very much, but this AJ has nothing to do with mahogany; I'm glad I went for the Bhilwara.
I appreciate the response. I’m dying to pull the trigger on this one. $2,500 shipped seems like an ok deal.

My YouTube Grooves
Old 01-26-2019, 07:54 AM

Doc, were you able to find out, if that guitar has Adirondack spruce and hide glue construction? I believe both effect the sound; don't know how much, though.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Eagle View Post
Doc, were you able to find out, if that guitar has Adirondack spruce and hide glue construction? I believe both effect the sound; don't know how much, though.
Not with 100% certainty but pretty sure those are the specs.

My YouTube Grooves

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion