The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-06-2020, 11:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeplaysblues View Post
Yes, but do these techniques make for a 'better' guitar, or only an increase in the markup of the guitar?
I mean, both. You’re paying for services that are either more time consuming and/or utilize higher quality materials. So yeah there’s a markup but in most cases those lead to a better guitar.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Well, it's a 12-fret with a slot head. Looks like a VS to me.
https://reverb.com/item/29309198-mar...coustic-guitar
That picture is 100% not a Modern Deluxe or a VS.

That is the stock picture of a 00-18 Authentic 1931

Considering the asking price of the ad, the picture they used, and the spec sheet they posted it matches up perfectly.

English isn't their first language so let's cut them some slack on the ad title.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Davis View Post
That picture is 100% not a Modern Deluxe or a VS.

That is the stock picture of a 00-18 Authentic 1931

Considering the asking price of the ad, the picture they used, and the spec sheet they posted it matches up perfectly.

English isn't their first language so let's cut them some slack on the ad title.
Using a stock picture and an inaccurate title for a $7200 guitar? Give me a break. Are you saying that someone should plunk down $7200 and have to guess what guitar they're getting. Hitchhiker Music currently has >1,400 Reverb listings. For that kind of money and all those listings, a buyer should have certainty, not guesswork regardless of what the seller's native language is...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 06-07-2020 at 01:40 AM.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Using a stock picture and an inaccurate title for a $7200 guitar? Give me a break. Are you saying that someone should plunk down $7200 and have to guess what guitar they're getting. Hitchhiker Music currently has >1,400 Reverb listings. For that kind of money and all those listings, a buyer should have certainty, not guesswork regardless of what the seller's native language is...
lol not what I am saying at all. I would never in a million years buy that guitar rofl...

I was simply trying to point out why they might have made that mistake. Everyone is allowed to make those
Old 06-07-2020, 02:31 AM

Guitars are fairly simple products, wood and wire. Manufacturers have to come up with creative ways to market their wares.

Personally, I'm on the lookout for a Modern Vintage Re-imagined Deluxe with with a Z braced torrified top with scalloped unicorn bracing.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
I agree with Robin Wales,

Add the word "Vintage" or "Reissue" to something it's just a sales pitch to sucker people in thinking they're getting something amazing.

Same as Fender with their custom shop relics. They beat up brand new guitars then go and charge 2 to 3 times as much for them... I can see the visual appeal some of them do look really cool i must admit, but in terms of what they're charging for those custom shop guitars it really is a joke considering it's just a brand new guitar that's been given some extra "Attention"
hmmm funny analogy imo, they don't exactly 'beat them up', it's definitely an art, whether you think it's worth what they charge is up to you, some people do, some people don't ...
Old 06-07-2020, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
Personally, I'm on the lookout for a Modern Vintage Re-imagined Deluxe with with a Z braced torrified top with scalloped unicorn bracing.
Zager-ize that puppy and slap a tonerite on it for a month and you'll really have something!
Old 06-07-2020, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

....that’s a bungled ad on Reverb...the pictured instrument is a 00-18...I believe it’s an authentic....not much to comment on other than that...
Old 06-07-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
Guitars are fairly simple products, wood and wire. Manufacturers have to come up with creative ways to market their wares.

lol! Don't forget the aged epoxy mixed with Adirondack sap to glue the neck joint and braces.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
And yet some of the building techniques (hide glue, certain bracing, etc) used in vintage guitars are now some of the biggest up-charges today in places like the Martin Custom Shop.
Well except for that fact that an "up-charge" per se. does not automatically mean "superior" ... While it can mean upgrades in materials or design etc , it can also simply represent more a more labor intensive process , which may or may not result in "superior" which is arguably subjective anyway. Juss sayin'

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion