The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-12-2018, 11:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Gibson Advanced Jumbo Vintage Mystic Rosewood

Has anyone’s played one of these? Wildwood has two them, Thermo Red Spruce top with hide glue, and Mystic Rosewood back and sides. At $5k they are awfully steep,curious to know people’s thought on this guitar. I’d probably trade my J45 Vintage 12 fret in on it, would these two sound similar?
Old 02-13-2018, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Anyone try one of these?
Old 01-24-2019, 05:00 PM

Bump to solve the mystery of mystic rosewood. Is Mystic rosewood the same thing as Bhilwara rosewood?

My YouTube Grooves
Old 01-25-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdoctor View Post
Bump to solve the mystery of mystic rosewood. Is Mystic rosewood the same thing as Bhilwara rosewood?
My 2013 J-45 is "mystic" rosewood. Suppposedly, Ren Ferguson came back with this "batch" of EIR and made the custom guitars. It's still EIR. I chuckle everytime I hear "mystic" anything.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frances50 View Post
My 2013 J-45 is "mystic" rosewood. Suppposedly, Ren Ferguson came back with this "batch" of EIR and made the custom guitars. It's still EIR. I chuckle everytime I hear "mystic" anything.
Is it though? I think it’s bhilwara which is different than EIR and according to Ren himself, bhilwara offers tonal qualities somewhere between rosewood and mahogany. At least that’s what I’ve gathered after numerous hours of research in the last day or so.

My YouTube Grooves
Old 01-25-2019, 08:09 AM

Is that like McDonalds mystery meat but more expensive?
Old 01-25-2019, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

So, what next ?
"Mystic EIR?"
magical spruce, tantric fretboard, excaliber frets, transcendental neck, and nut and saddle of unicorn horn.

I guess there ought to be some "dragonglass" in there somewhere.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdoctor View Post
Bhilwara is Ceylon Rosewood (Albizia Odoratissima). And Gibson has not been shy of naming the wood "Bhilwara" - a name made up or at least spread by the Gibson company - when they knew what they had. "Mystic" is a different wood, more reddish in color, and generally with a different grain structure. The term seems to indicate that neither Gibson nor their supplier had a clue as to what that wood really was.
To confuse matters even further, some of Gibson's Bhilwara looks veery much like the good ol' East Indian Rosewood, which in fact grows almost all over India.
BTW, as far as I understand, all of this is wood from East India, historically the "real" India that is, as opposed to West India, the "West Indies", a region of the North Atlantic Ocean in the Caribbea, thus not in India - seen from a European perspective in Columbus' time.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
So, what next ?
"Mystic EIR?"
magical spruce, tantric fretboard, excaliber frets, transcendental neck, and nut and saddle of unicorn horn.

Existentialist bracing.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Eagle View Post
Bhilwara is Ceylon Rosewood (Albizia Odoratissima). And Gibson has not been shy of naming the wood "Bhilwara" - a name made up or at least spread by the Gibson company - when they knew what they had. "Mystic" is a different wood, more reddish in color, and generally with a different grain structure. The term seems to indicate that neither Gibson nor their supplier had a clue as to what that wood really was.
To confuse matters even further, some of Gibson's Bhilwara looks veery much like the good ol' East Indian Rosewood, which in fact grows almost all over India.
BTW, as far as I understand, all of this is wood from East India, historically the "real" India that is, as opposed to West India, the "West Indies", a region of the North Atlantic Ocean in the Caribbea, thus not in India - seen from a European perspective in Columbus' time.
What kind of b/s wood do you think this is? https://reverb.com/item/15797112-gib...pre-owned-2013

It looks like EIR but I think these models use bhilwara but can’t confirm. What makes this tougher is Gibson could be staining the b/s to make it appear dark like EIR. The misinformation is annoying. I called Gibson yesterday and the rep said he’s not allowed to disclose where the wood is from. When I explained that I only care about the tonal characteristics he just talked in circles and never answered my questions.

My YouTube Grooves

Last edited by Rhythmdoctor; 01-25-2019 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Add link
Old 01-25-2019, 08:52 AM

Wow six words for a guitar name, somehow reminds me of the inflated job titles for people who are paid well but have nothing real to do.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:00 AM

"What kind of b/s wood do you think this is? https://reverb.com/item/15797112-gib...pre-owned-2013

It looks like EIR but I think these models use bhilwara but can’t confirm. What makes this tougher is Gibson could be staining the b/s to make it appear dark like EIR. The misinformation is annoying. I called Gibson yesterday and the rep said he’s not allowed to disclose where the wood is from. When I explained that I only care about the tonal characteristics he just talked in circles and never answered my questions."

That is pretty much what I have on my 2013 - same year - 1935 AJ RI, which was advertised as "Bhilwara" on Gibson's website. So I believe what they call "rosewood" in your example is, indeed, Bhilwara. On my AJ it looks suspiciously like EIR, but it smells different. If they stained it, I can't see it, even on the inside. The finger board and bridge seem to be of another kind of rosewood, though, possibly Madagacar, not sure.

All I can say is, it does not in the least seem to hurt the sound. And I don't hear any mahogany sound in it; sounds definitely like rosewood.

Last edited by Henry Eagle; 01-25-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
So, what next ?
"Mystic EIR?"

You go Andy!!!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-25-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Eagle View Post
"What kind of b/s wood do you think this is? https://reverb.com/item/15797112-gib...pre-owned-2013

It looks like EIR but I think these models use bhilwara but can’t confirm. What makes this tougher is Gibson could be staining the b/s to make it appear dark like EIR. The misinformation is annoying. I called Gibson yesterday and the rep said he’s not allowed to disclose where the wood is from. When I explained that I only care about the tonal characteristics he just talked in circles and never answered my questions."

That is pretty much what I have on my 2013 - same year - 1935 AJ RI, which was advertised as "Bhilwara" on Gibson's website. So I believe what they call "rosewood" in your example is, indeed, Bhilwara. On my AJ it looks suspiciously like EIR, but it smells different. If they stained it, I can't see it, even on the inside. The finger board and bridge seem to be of another kind of rosewood, though, possibly Madagacar, not sure.

All I can say is, it does not in the least seem to hurt the sound. And I don't hear any mahogany sound in it; sounds definitely like rosewood.
So you have that same model AJ? The one with Amber Burst? And from what you're saying, the b/s wood looks and sounds like EIR? I really want to buy that guitar but I'm now scared off by the notion that bhilwara is a rosewood/hog hybrid. But if I'm understanding you correctly, this should not be a concern of mine. Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding you. I'm 'this' close to pulling the trigger on an AJ and I would like to buy that one specifically.

My YouTube Grooves
Old 01-25-2019, 02:07 PM

Has anyone played one of these? I see 1 available at Wildwood, they are going to send me a sound clip later today. This is basically the same concept as the J-45 Vintage (or TV from a few years back), except the AJ version has that mystic rosewood which seems is a 'cheaper' version of EIR. Wildwood will sell for $4,700 shipped which is still pretty steep. I'd like to know more about this model and if anyone on AGF has played one.

My YouTube Grooves

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion