The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-13-2020, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorse View Post
Kurt is using a Bartolini soundhole pickup there... I used to have one and much to my dismay I can't find it, but if you ever come across one (they are no longer made) snap that bad boy up (if you like warm, somewhere between a strat neck pickup and a hollow-body sound).

They have a really, really nice dynamic response that I have never heard from another pickup. Kurt's playing – as iconic as it is – doesn't really show it.

I used to run a magnetic along with a soundboard transducer and undersaddle (twin outputs) and run my magnetic into a Fender Twin, for years.

I love the idea of putting a P90 in a Gibson... I bet it would be amazing for slide!
Duplicate posting due to temporary website problems.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-13-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Here is a quick sample of the HFN to Dean Markley Grand 1st position training IR (bypass to IR, chords, then single note riff, 50/50 IR/bypass when on). It really sounded very much like the Dean Markley to me when I still had the Dean Markley in the guitar to set my expectations... Still might be useful tomorrow. Maybe I got carried away.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Naa...ew?usp=sharing

EDIT: I did some high volume testing: No IR w/compressor (my standard technique), Mag IR, Mag IR w/compressor. Mag IR w/compression is a clear winner for electric guitar style single note riffs.
It worked great at today's gig combined with compression. Maybe not like any magnetic electric pickup I'm familiar with, but still a big step up from the base HFN, or HFN with an acoustic IR, for single note classic rock leads.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-14-2020, 05:21 AM

While I was at it, I made a recording of the Concert RainSong Parlor using my Slate ML-2 to update my main IR which was made with the Concert Hybrid RainSong Parlor I sold and a Rode NT3.

A classic case of what sounded good in my living room was too much at gig volumes and after the sound check I went back to the older IR.

Jon Fields
Old 06-20-2020, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
While I was at it, I made a recording of the Concert RainSong Parlor using my Slate ML-2 to update my main IR which was made with the Concert Hybrid RainSong Parlor I sold and a Rode NT3.

A classic case of what sounded good in my living room was too much at gig volumes and after the sound check I went back to the older IR.
I did that Slate IR over at 16" (instead of 8" from the neck/body joint) and it works great.

I started a new thread with a demo of SBT to Magnetic IR.

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification