The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-27-2017, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

Default N(well, practically)GD; Martin DX1E

That's the picture from the Craigslist add. I rode the train into NYC and made a deal for this right in the Penn Station waiting room. It really is just like brand new. It doesn't even have a scratch on the pick guard. The guy bought at it Guitar Center two years ago, tried to play it a few times and put it in the closet. Even the strings are still shiney. It hasn't even been set up. The action is at a high 8/64. Why does GC send guitars out like this? When I tested guitars at GC and Sam Ash last week almost all of them were high.

Anyway, I got a smoking deal on it; less than half the price at GC including a Roadrunner gig bag. I'm lovin it!.

I'm going to lower the action with a bone saddle that I already have an save the Martin saddle. I'll also put on new strings. Should I change the plastic bridge pins to bone? Those white pins with the black dots seem so iconic to Martin. Will the bone pins make a difference in the sound?
Old 01-27-2017, 06:01 AM

Congrats on the buy. I don't know if switching out the bridge pins would make a huge difference on that guitar. I've never tried it, so you never know.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on your new Martin. I like the story about making the deal in the train station.

Martins are generally shipped from the factory with high action to allow the buyer to adjust the setup to their preference. As far as the bridge pins go, personally I don't think switching from plastic to bone will have a discernable effect of the tone. Changing the saddle material will have a greater effect on the tone. The effect of bridge pins on tone has been frequently discussed on this forum, with a wide range of opinions. The best thing to do is try it and see for yourself.

Enjoy your new Martin!
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)
Old 01-27-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post

That's the picture from the Craigslist add. I rode the train into NYC and made a deal for this right in the Penn Station waiting room. It really is just like brand new. It doesn't even have a scratch on the pick guard. The guy bought at it Guitar Center two years ago, tried to play it a few times and put it in the closet. Even the strings are still shiney. It hasn't even been set up. The action is at a high 8/64. Why does GC send guitars out like this? When I tested guitars at GC and Sam Ash last week almost all of them were high.

Anyway, I got a smoking deal on it; less than half the price at GC including a Roadrunner gig bag. I'm lovin it!.

I'm going to lower the action with a bone saddle that I already have an save the Martin saddle. I'll also put on new strings. Should I change the plastic bridge pins to bone? Those white pins with the black dots seem so iconic to Martin. Will the bone pins make a difference in the sound?
Try the Martin Retros MM12, as far as bridge pins go, I would try ebony too...

Congrats and enjoy...
Old 01-27-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:

The action is at a high 8/64. Why does GC send guitars out like this? When I tested guitars at GC and Sam Ash last week almost all of them were high.

The action is high so you can do what you want with it. Not being mean here, but do you really expect GC or Sam Ash to do a set up on every guitar that they have in stock for free?
I would probaby do a bone saddle for sure.

Anyway, congrats...nice guitar.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-27-2017, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Do I expect them to do a set up for free? Actually, I do. I did mine on my Yamaha in about a half hour and it was the first time for me. By not doing it, they discourage new players who could become repeat customers. The guy who sold me this guitar couldn't get anywhere with it. If he could have, he probably would have been back for a D18 within a year. He's a banker in NYC so he can probably afford all the guitars he wants.

I have a lot to learn about music stores but I do know a lot about bicycle stores. Decent bikes cost about the same as good guitars; from about $2000 to $15,000. With a new bike you get a 3 or 4 hour fit session, free adjustments for a year, discount on accessories, and unless you buy at peak buying season in spring or get the new hot bike like I did last year, you should be able to get a decent discount on the bicycle. And they're all making money.

When the guy at Sam Ash told me ''even I can't get 20% off'' it told me that I would be buying used. Then you get no service and they really can't expect me to be coming back for much more than a set of strings.

Anyway, I'm up at my mountain house with my Yamaha and I will be lowering the action on the Martin when I get back down state. I have a saddle that fits. When I did the Yamaha, I bought a 2 pack on Amazon so if I messed up, I'd still have the Yamaha saddle and another one to try again. The second one should fit the Martin. I'm leaving the pins alone. They look so good. I remember from my folk music class in college that the Martin guitars looked cool with those white pins with the black dots.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Customer service is always good. If the music stores told customers that every guitar over $500 got a free $60 dollar set up, it would help sell guitars
Old 01-27-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Customer service is always good. If the music stores told customers that every guitar over $500 got a free $60 dollar set up, it would help sell guitars
If they did that, the $500 guitar would probably cost $600.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

What would you say if you bought a new car and they backed it off of the car carrier dirty and told you to take it to your mechanic and have it set up?
Old 01-27-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
What would you say if you bought a new car and they backed it off of the car carrier dirty and told you to take it to your mechanic and have it set up?
The car dealer doesn't setup the car to fit you either. They don't adjust the throttle response or brake pedal pressure to fit what you like. They don't shape the seat to fit what you like. If you like the car, great. They guarantee there isn't any faults in workmanship, just like a guitar company. They will throw it through the car wash for you, most GC's I've seen will spray the guitar down with guitar polish for you too when you buy a guitar.

All that being said, if you purchase a $30,000 guitar, I bet they will be more than happy to throw in a $60 setup for you.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

If I bought a $30,000 guitar, I'd expect a set up and that they go out and wash and wax my car!!!
Old 01-28-2017, 03:29 AM
Charter Member

What about small stores? Wouldn't this be a way to set themselves about the big box music stores? ''When you buy from us, we set the instrument up specifically for you''.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion