The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-18-2021, 01:28 PM

Default D'Addario Pro Plus vs. G7th A.R.T.

I just picked up a D'Addario Pro Plus and wanted to compare it to my G7th A.R.T. Frankly, the pads on both work as advertised and require less pressure than many other capos to get a clean clamp without putting the guitar out of tune. BUT, I think they sound quite different with the A.R.T. being much brighter and the D'Addario being much warmer. I think the A.R.T. sounds closer to the real guitar, but let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/n32MtyfOrSQ
Old 06-18-2021, 11:20 PM

David,

I listened to your YouTube video. They both sound good. It is just so hard to hear though, listening through computer speakers. I live in Marysville. How about you just drive that OM42 up US 33 and I'll meet you at Applebee's!!
Oh bring the capos too!

Actually, I'm going to use earbuds and see if that helps!

Martin: D-28, 00-18V, Custom 000-21, D12-35
Guild: GF-60M
Martin C1K ukulele, Kala soprano ukulele
Kentucky mandolin
Old 06-19-2021, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien View Post
David,

I listened to your YouTube video. They both sound good. It is just so hard to hear though, listening through computer speakers. I live in Marysville. How about you just drive that OM42 up US 33 and I'll meet you at Applebee's!!
Oh bring the capos too!

Actually, I'm going to use earbuds and see if that helps!
Ha!! I’ll actually be playing the Marysville Eagles on June 25. Come on out! But I’ll probably e playing a Turner Renaissance.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I just picked up a D'Addario Pro Plus and wanted to compare it to my G7th A.R.T. Frankly, the pads on both work as advertised and require less pressure than many other capos to get a clean clamp without putting the guitar out of tune. BUT, I think they sound quite different with the A.R.T. being much brighter and the D'Addario being much warmer. I think the A.R.T. sounds closer to the real guitar, but let me know what you think.

Hello David,

Just replied in the other (Lazarus) thread. I ordered one of these for my own curiosity. G7th Performance 3 is my current capo of choice. Kind of like seeing the elephant, except I guess I have to hear it trumpet myself.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 06-19-2021, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I have both capos and agree completely. I find the D’Addario mutes/muffles the tone & I'm not fond of it at all. My absolute favorite is the G7 Heritage.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:09 PM

Anyone have a comparison with the Shubb Fine Tune?

I use a G7 Heritage on my acoustic, but it slides a little to much on the chrome flat wounds on my Gretsch. I'm using a Paige now, but if it ever fails I might try the Fine Tune.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 06-20-2021, 12:19 AM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
BUT, I think they sound quite different with the A.R.T. being much brighter and the D'Addario being much warmer. I think the A.R.T. sounds closer to the real guitar, but let me know what you think.

Thanks for the comparison. I just heard of the Pro Plus a yesterday and was curious about it. Based on the technologies in play, it doesn't surprise me that Pro Plus dulls the sound a bit. The Pro Plus looks to have a softer pad, and the G7th P3 to me has a better clamping mechanism.

The P3 is my go-to capo currently and it looks to stay that way.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:35 AM

David when you play with the G7 ART you move your right hand back towards the bridge/back of the soundhole about 1/2 to 1 inch from where you were playing when using the D'Addario.

Depending on how dynamically sensitive your guitar is to right hand playing position relative to the soundhole, that would/could brighten the tone up somewhere between a little bit, and a lot.

Re-do the video but be as precise as possible about your right hand playing position being the same with each capo.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 06-20-2021, 09:18 AM

If anyone finds this topic by doing a search it might be a disservice not to link the much more informative "Lazarus topic" so readers can gain as much information as possible before making a purchasing decision.

"New Game Changer Capo? D'Addario Pro Plus"
Old 07-03-2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
If anyone finds this topic by doing a search it might be a disservice not to link the much more informative "Lazarus topic" so readers can gain as much information as possible before making a purchasing decision.

"New Game Changer Capo? D'Addario Pro Plus"

Well, that was rude. Sorry I wasn’t informative enough for you.
Old 07-03-2021, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
David when you play with the G7 ART you move your right hand back towards the bridge/back of the soundhole about 1/2 to 1 inch from where you were playing when using the D'Addario.

Depending on how dynamically sensitive your guitar is to right hand playing position relative to the soundhole, that would/could brighten the tone up somewhere between a little bit, and a lot.

Re-do the video but be as precise as possible about your right hand playing position being the same with each capo.

duff

Be A Player...Not A Polisher

I just saw this and rewatched my video. I see what you’re saying, but when I first play the G7th, my finger position is the same and I noted right away that the ART is brighter, even playing with the same hand position.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion