The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-16-2021, 05:12 PM
Guest 928

Default evaluation?

And so, I've been working on a trade and forced to consider the value of used CF instruments. In the past, in selling, my business plan has been to buy high and sell low--my primary interest not being business but experience. But not everyone thinks the way I do. While I'm getting interest in a current trade involving CF guitars, so far everyone has been somewhat reticent about fixing a price on their instruments.

There doesn't seem to be a blue book of used carbon fiber guitars but there have been a number of instruments sold on this forum and it occurs to me that there might be some generally accepted equation.

In my past dealing with more than 40 wooden instruments I thought that 50% of new was a general price point for a used guitar (unless you were dealing with with a big box like GC which just offered me 25% trade in value for a mint $1000 wooden guitar). In exploring CF guitars I've always thought the 3/4 of new value might be a better price point.

I considered putting this question in the ad section, but it's a general question and something that every CF owner might be interested in.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

I’m not an expert, but my observation is that the price of used high quality guitars in good condition seems to usually be closer to 75% of the same new model guitar.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:19 PM
Guest 928

I've had the same feeling and just received a PM to the same point. My sales don't count because I've been an easy seller, reducing my prices to account for what I call my rental cost and to encourage a quick sale. But a lot of people on this forum have engaged in numerous transactions involving CF instruments and it'll be interesting to hear what a realistic approach reveals.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:30 PM

It's my humble opinion that if someone is selling something used (and for use, not as a collector's item), the price must be low enough to counter the following:
  • Love marks (AKA blemishes)
  • Not being able to return it just because it's not the right fit (which you can do at Guitar Center)
  • No warranty
  • No peace of mind from REALLY KNOWING that it had a gentle life thus far, and not REALLY KNOWING what work has or hasn't been done to it

Obviously this list applies to almost any expensive used thing, like cars or camera gear. But the above items are very meaningful to me, and for me to let all the above go, it's a personal decision to not pay more than 2/3rd's the NEW price. If more than 2/3rd the new price, I'd just pony up the full cost for something new, and thus feel comfortable.

I come from a position of not having serious GAS though, so when I really want something, I usually have saved enough play money to get. If one simply has a choice of buying at 75% cost or never getting it, you can probably convince that person to pay 75%.

When selling my stuff, I tend to sell for 50-66%, pending how roughed up it is, and/or if I think it's going to good use (I'm happy to give a broke student a deal if I'm trying to offload something). Maybe I'm a sucker, but the reality is if I'm selling something, it's because I don't want it around anymore, not because I'm trying to make money. Someone else should get some good use out of it if they can; my asking fee would be more about making sure it goes to someone who actually wants it.
Old 06-17-2021, 04:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
I’m not an expert, but my observation is that the price of used high quality guitars in good condition seems to usually be closer to 75% of the same new model guitar.
Looking back on the several Emeralds that I've sold, I'd tend to agree with the 75% estimate. However, given the vast array of possible options that may or may not attract a buyer, 75% is just an estimate. I'd suggest that the closer one's Emerald is to fairly stock, the easier it will be to sell and get the maximum price. I doubt that someone who bought their Emerald from the factory and included a fair number of options is going to realize 75% back on the used market, especially if they incurred one of those last minute ransom payments...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-17-2021, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Doing some research here and on Reverb before I sold an Emerald and Rainsong, I learned that typically mint condition versions of both could be reasonably expected to sell quickly being priced at 80% and 70%, respectively. That is fairly inline with the actual sold prices.

I, like the OP try to price fairly to begin with - there are some here and on reverb that try to squeeze every last penny they can get out of a sale. My experience is that regardless of the model, if it fairly close to the price of a brand new one, most buyers will prefer the latter - I know I would if I were in the market.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:12 AM
Guest 928

BT;

I like your sense of service. In the old Carbon Fiber forum run by Michael S we would occasional raise money for a guitar to be sent to the mid-East for soldiers under fire.

I've worked hard to keep my village in guitars and have offered some incredible buys. Guitars are my one indulgence and being able to go through more than 50 instruments with my buy high-sell-low business model has been a great joy.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

One thing about CF that diverges from a wood guitar is a complete lack of aging. Used wood guitars, even those preciously taken care of like mine, do age somewhat, the wood, glue, binding dries out a bit. Metal bits might take on a patina. Nitro ages. All this probably affects the used price and is a divergence from new. This all obviously is about guitars that really aren't super-desirable vintage models.

CF, the only example I am hands-on familiar with is Emerald, I don't think will really age. And my take with these, and stainless frets, otherwise CF throughout, is probably not going to age much, if at all. And probably won't show much wear. Styles might change, but that's about it.

I wonder if this will be taken into consideration on used pricing or if they'll be broad-brushed into "guitars" whether they are pretty impervious to aging and wear or not.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
Doing some research here and on Reverb before I sold an Emerald and Rainsong, I learned that typically mint condition versions of both could be reasonably expected to sell quickly being priced at 80% and 70%, respectively. That is fairly inline with the actual sold prices.

I, like the OP try to price fairly to begin with - there are some here and on reverb that try to squeeze every last penny they can get out of a sale. My experience is that regardless of the model, if it fairly close to the price of a brand new one, most buyers will prefer the latter - I know I would if I were in the market.
That was my experience selling my stock 2020 X20 (black, pinless bridge) in the classifieds here. Guitar was like new, included the mug (still boxed that came with my custom 2021 short scale X20) and two sets of strings (80/20 and EJ16 PB.) Sold quickly, very pleasant connection with the buyer, and easy transaction.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 06-23-2021, 01:03 AM

In the Netherlands where I live there is hardly a used market for CF guitars. If you want to get rid of one you probably have to give it away for free.

CF guitars seem to be more accepted in the US than in Europe. This is clearly reflected in the shipping videos of Emerald, a European company, which sells most of its guitars to US customers.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 06-23-2021, 01:34 AM

A basic standard Emerald or Rainsong, I would expect to sell for about 80% of it's initial cost. I bought my Rainsong Parlor for about 83% of what a new one would have cost.

Things like fancy inlays or veneers won't maintain much of their upcharge though.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 07-04-2021, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

I wonder what it does to the resale value to have the cf guitar ritually blessed by Tibetan monks?

https://reverb.com/item/15507442-eme...custom-artwork
Old 07-04-2021, 05:57 PM
Guest 928

Redi;

All it takes is one appreciative viewer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber