The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-14-2021, 01:34 PM

Default Rainsong Hybrid Series?

Why did they stop making the hybrids? Specifically the H-DR1100N2. I just played a leftover and it sounded great to my ear. Not enough profit? Tops buckling under the saddle? Moving on to the wood tops and couldn’t support another derivative? Kinda curious before I pull the trigger. Thanks!

Last edited by Jagman327; 06-15-2021 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Adding
Old 06-14-2021, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

There are some RS experts that will be of more help here, but I do know that there are no "wood" tops involved. Other than the vintage series veneers. Hope that helps a bit. I think they just refined their business model. IF you found one you like....there are very few (if any) reasons not to buy it.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

I would guess not enough profit. I've owned several Rainsong hybrids, and thought they were very nice and a bargain at the price...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-14-2021, 06:41 PM

I think RainSong is merely positioning themselves in the evolving CF market. I don't claim to understand how that decision plays out for them, but moving to SFT tops and upping the price across their lines is certainly a 180 from offering a budget line.

I love RainSong and they were my first taste into the carbon fiber world. However, now an Emerald X20 with upgrades can be had for $1K less than some of RainSong's priciest offerings. So there's that. Not sure what the move is.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Love my RS H-OM. If the dread was a cutaway, I’d have bought one and considered a WS. To me, the H series sounded best. Haven’t played a Vintage yet, though.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 06-14-2021, 09:30 PM

After owning a few Rainsong models I settled on a concert hybrid parlor. I happen to like the tone of the hybrids the best. A little rounder tone with less top end to my ears, in a very good way. No issues with tops buckling. If you liked the tone I would grab it.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

After going through 65 different guitars in a 6 year time frame from Martin, Gibson, Taylor, Eastman and other's I needed to find one guitar that would meet my needs with a move from Southern California to the high desert where I knew all my wood guitars would twist and crack without the needed extra care. So I started reading up on all the different carbon fiber guitars offerings and this was just before Emerald guitars were starting to be discussed on the forum here. I ended up buying a Rainsong Smokey SMH because of what other's had said that the glass along with the carbon fiber produced a warmer tone which I was after. I didn't care about the price being cheaper, I would have bought it even if it cost more than the all carbon version. It has the WS body along with being a 12 fret to body and I love the full rich tone that it produces. It is now my only guitar....I figure if you can't play one well you won't be able to play the other's any better...
Old 06-15-2021, 09:37 AM

I personally wonder if the CH models were not eating into the sales of their pricier models and that wasn't a consideration in ending the line. I have a Shorty SG and cannot find a flaw with it. It makes me think that perhaps the profit margin on the CH guitars was lower than that of their more conventional CF models.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
I personally wonder if the CH models were not eating into the sales of their pricier models and that wasn't a consideration in ending the line. I have a Shorty SG and cannot find a flaw with it. It makes me think that perhaps the profit margin on the CH guitars was lower than that of their more conventional CF models.
It was my impression that the CH models were supposed to be a "loss leader" of sorts for a temporary period of time. What really surprised me was when Rainsong jacked up the prices of the CH models and soon thereafter discontinued them altogether. That was about two years ago, and RS simultaneously discontinued the H series as well...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-15-2021, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagman327 View Post
Why did they stop making the hybrids? Specifically the H-DR1100N2. I just played a leftover and it sounded great to my ear. Not enough profit? Tops buckling under the saddle? Moving on the the wood tops and couldn’t support another derivative? Kinda curious before I pull the trigger. Thanks!
I have a H-DR1000N2/T and it is as good or better than the P12 (bigger fuller rounder sound). Mine is great and I'll keep it forever. I say if you like it get yours while you can. I especially like the T version that has a lovely copper burst finish.

"SpruceTop" is the only AGFer claiming that RainSongs have a top "bulge" and it seems to bug him. He is a machinist and may have a finer eye than me. Mine is level and so were six examples I checked at the local dealer.

The hybrid series don't have wood tops. Not sure about this concern?

The CH hybrid series was introduced at a temporary low price aimed at gigging musicians. I've met a bunch who are happy to afford one to play outdoors at summer festivals. After a couple years the CH price went up to the level of the H-DR and the line briefly expanded to include a CH-DR and CH-JM. Sadly, the CH hybrid series was discontinued. A few dealers have new old stock and a great deal priced $600 or so below other equiv guitars.

Meanwhile, the newer spruce layer Vintage and Nashville series (highest priced) have been very successfull.

RainSong appears to be comfortable with 1000-1200 annual production, the most amongst the best known brands.

As a savvy, veteran, profit seeking, job protecting company they are using their capacity to produce popular and high end Vintage, Nashville, CO and Black Ice series guitars and selling all that they make.

And are OK with giving up the entry price $900-1500 side of the market to Journey Instruments, KLOS, Enya, Lava Me.

Emerald also gave up the entry level, raised their prices and are actively expanding capacity beyond 500 guitars a year.

McPherson has always charged top dollar for their very nice guitars.

Peavy tried to rescue Composite Acoustics and failed.

Carbon fibre guitars is a tiny and tough market. RainSong stays with what works for them.

Cheers.
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany
Old 07-02-2021, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

I recently acquired a Rainsong H-DR1100N2 from another AGF member, and it has become my "daily guitar." It's great to play and I enjoy just about everything about it. However, it's the one and only carbon fiber (hybrid) I've played, and I wonder if all guitars of this particular Rainsong model fundamentally play and sound the same. I understand there can be differences in the current set-up (e.g. different strings etc), but are each guitar of the same model almost alike? Or at least as compared to all-wood guitars that can vary quite a bit from one guitar to another of the same model. Seems like carbon fiber guitars would be very consistent from one guitar of the same model to the next.

Has anyone had the opportunity to play more than one carbon fiber guitar of the same model to see how much they vary in tone, volume, playability, etc if at all?
Old 07-02-2021, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

You are correct RCW, at least for the ones I've played. I've played a lot of Rainsongs and have never noticed any difference in tone from guitar to guitar, assuming they are the same model. I can't say if that is true for Emeralds or not? I've heard both ways, but would bet 99% of them have the same tonal characteristics.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:33 PM
Guest 928

A test of the point might be the Cargo. A number of people on this forum began their CF quest with the Cargo and often went through several from CA and then tried the Peavey version. There were finish differences in the Cargo but there effects were often argued with little agreement. There were some cargos with neck problems, but my experience with several cargos is that the health ones all sounded and played about the same.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber