The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-30-2021, 03:15 PM
Guest 928

Default May be leaving CF

I've always used the guitar as part of a duet with the voice and I've enjoyed the various carbon fiber options: 6 emeralds, three Black birds, and one Rainsong. But recent health problems make performance out of the question and singing pretty much a thing of the past. And so I am reconsidering my instrumentation.

I have enjoyed the hunt for my ideal nylon string guitar and I have just about exhausted the CF options. And so, I've been exploring 6 string baritone ukes, 1/4 & 1/2 sized guitars, mini guitars, and guiteleles. Part of the change is just the thrill of the hunt.

While vacating carbon fiber guitars, I will not be vacating this forum. You all are too interesting, civilized & informative to leave behind. At the moment I'm focused on a CordobaMini but there is some interaction between my search for a small instrument and CF--one person on the Underground Ukulele site has pointed to the Outdoor guitar as a possible option (do any of you own of these?). Pretty thrilling stuff.
Old 05-30-2021, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

I’m far less concerned about you leaving the CF world than I am about your general state of health and well-being. I wish you all the very best for whatever you’re going through.

Going through some health challenges myself at the moment. I’ve discovered that playing guitar and making music is a huge comfort, a great distraction and wonderful motivation to stay positive.

I don’t care what you play, just keep playing - and don’t be a stranger here.

At least, no stranger than you already are
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-30-2021, 06:33 PM

Default May be leaving CF

Hi Evan- never leave us! I very much appreciate your knowledgeable responses. You are a aficionado carbonista! Don’t feel guilty either. I test drove 6 wooden guitars this morning and it was fun. However I came home to my one CF and those bevels and molds have me spoiled. I have not bought a wood guitar since 2016 and it will probably stay that way. I just love the worry-free nature of these instruments and that they can double as wall art .

Your health is important and I wish you the best getting through this difficult time.

Oh, and well said David [emoji3]
Old 05-30-2021, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

You are family here, Evan - know that you have plenty of folks here in your corner. The instrument and material it is made from isn't as important as your health. I can attest that playing is therapeutic, though. Wishing you all the best.

Jim
Old 05-30-2021, 07:52 PM

Hey Evan even though I've left the CF world, like you I still check in frequently. You are one of the stalwarts of this sub. Every time nylon is mentioned I expect an Evan comment (or three!)
I enjoyed meeting you way back at the Salt Lake CF gathering and our occasional exchanges here on this forum. Wishing you all the best from the other side of the world.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 05-30-2021, 08:03 PM

Dear Evan,
Keep playing, stay healthy and stay with us!
Barb
Old 05-30-2021, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Best wishes and stay healthy!
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 05-30-2021, 09:22 PM

Nothing is more important than your health. Stay healthy and keep playing.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 05-31-2021, 12:09 AM

Really sorry to hear of your challenges Evan. I saw your thread looking for a baritone or smaller guilele on Ukulele Underground. They are a good bunch, as you're finding out by the posts, much like here on AGF.

I recently picked up a Romero G6 20" scale and am amazed how good it sounds and plays.
Old 05-31-2021, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

Really sorry to hear about your health issues! I wish you all the best.

If you want to stick to a CF instrument there might be another option: you could ask Alistair to slightly alter the Amicus for a 6 strings nylon. It's something I asked about a few years ago and it was possible then... not sure that's still the case though. The neck is already wide enough, you would just need a lighter top, a different bridge and a shorter headstock (or go for the fancy slotted one!). A lot more expensive than a Cordoba Mini though...
Old 05-31-2021, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Sending healing vibes Evan.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 05-31-2021, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I've always used the guitar as part of a duet with the voice and I've enjoyed the various carbon fiber options: 6 emeralds, three Black birds, and one Rainsong. But recent health problems make performance out of the question and singing pretty much a thing of the past. And so I am reconsidering my instrumentation.

I have enjoyed the hunt for my ideal nylon string guitar and I have just about exhausted the CF options. And so, I've been exploring 6 string baritone ukes, 1/4 & 1/2 sized guitars, mini guitars, and guiteleles. Part of the change is just the thrill of the hunt.

While vacating carbon fiber guitars, I will not be vacating this forum. You all are too interesting, civilized & informative to leave behind. At the moment I'm focused on a CordobaMini but there is some interaction between my search for a small instrument and CF--one person on the Underground Ukulele site has pointed to the Outdoor guitar as a possible option (do any of you own of these?). Pretty thrilling stuff.
Yesterday late afternoon I thought I felt a disturbance in the Force and now I know what caused it!

Seriously, as someone that went from all CF guitars to no CF guitars in a very short period, I understand completely. For me I think that as you stated and I bolded above, change is part of the thrill of the hunt! I slowly built up to all CF and then very quickly abandoned it. Now I'm slowly making my way back. Actually, I'm there, just no ALL CF and I doubt I'll ever be all CF unless I go down to one guitar and that could very well end up being a CF.

Also like you, although I did abandon CF for a while I never left this subforum. It's just too good with too many great people. I always lurked and commented when I had direct experience with the subject matter. And now I'm happy to be back in the CF saddle again. Also like you, I'm currently suffering with some health issues that quite literally are a pain in the you-know-what. Or at least back for me. As I near retirement I really need to focus on my health as the last thing I want to do is get to retirement and not be able to enjoy it.

So take care of yourself and get well, my friend. Your journey through the CF landscape was an interesting and educational experience for us all! You pushed the envelop of the Emerald custom like no one before and since!
Old 05-31-2021, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Hey Evan,

No big deal moving on from carbon fiber. I did it too, not for any reason beyond spending time with two guitars and liking one more than the other - the other was the carbon fiber one. But your health is a big deal and I'm really sorry to hear of your health problems. And if gigging was important to you, as I believe it was, giving THAT up is a much bigger loss than a particular guitar material. I've always appreciated (and learned) from your input here. I don't hang out on any sub-forum in particular - I read the forum based on recent posts so I guess I sort of keep a foot in every camp, so I'll still check in on the CF discussions that pass over the transom.

In any case, sorry to hear of your health issues, wishing you the best, and hope you're able to continue your guitar playing journey for a long time to come, in whatever capacity. What a guitar is made out of is perhaps the least important factor in any of this...

-Ray
Old 05-31-2021, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Evan, your good natured enthusiasm, relentless exploratory quest for guitar design innovation, and friendly encouragement to all - augmented by an immense amount of knowledge and experience, makes your presence and contributions on the AGF a real treasure.

In addition to the chorus of previous posts on this thread, I’m sure that I speak for many who have not seen this thread in saying that we all hope and pray for your health!

Keep on pickin’ whenever you can - playing music is a tremendously powerful physical, spiritual and emotional balm and therapy!
Old 05-31-2021, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Hang tough Evan....we'll leave the light on for you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber