The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-26-2021, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Default Noisy Nut on Rainsong

I have been noticing an issue with my new Rainsong Vintage Series Dreadnought. Specifically, I can hear a 'zinging' sound coming from the area of the nut when I play. It is most pronounced on the high e and b strings, but is noticeable on the G and D as well. It does not matter if the strings are open or fretted. I tried taking the truss rod cover off (since the strings contact the truss rod cover above the nut) but it didn't help the issue. I have also tried changing the strings. This is my first Carbon Fiber guitar, so I don't really know what's a 'normal' quirk vs a legitimate issue. The audience can't really hear it from in front of the guitar, but it's very noticeable / annoying when you are the one playing it. Has anybody experienced this? Any suggestions?
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 05-26-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post
I have been noticing an issue with my new Rainsong Vintage Series Dreadnought. Specifically, I can hear a 'zinging' sound coming from the area of the nut when I play. It is most pronounced on the high e and b strings, but is noticeable on the G and D as well. It does not matter if the strings are open or fretted. I tried taking the truss rod cover off (since the strings contact the truss rod cover above the nut) but it didn't help the issue. I have also tried changing the strings. This is my first Carbon Fiber guitar, so I don't really know what's a 'normal' quirk vs a legitimate issue. The audience can't really hear it from in front of the guitar, but it's very noticeable / annoying when you are the one playing it. Has anybody experienced this? Any suggestions?
May sound crazy but can you tie or drape a bandana/cloth behind the nut just under where the strings pass heading to the capstans? Many players do this because they are annoyed by the "zing" they hear behind the nut. the only reason I mention this is because you say it is happening on 4 strings. It is worth a try.
Old 05-26-2021, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the suggestion Steelvibe. It doesn't sound crazy at all. I gave it a shot. I think it helped a little, but doesn't seem to have solved the problem completely, or even mostly.

As I spend more time messing around with it, the problem does seem worse on open strings. It doesn't completely go away on fretted notes, but it gets much better. It makes me wonder if it's something to do with the nut sluts, although the fact that the issue is present across multiple strings makes me doubt that a bit.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 05-26-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post
Thanks for the suggestion Steelvibe. It doesn't sound crazy at all. I gave it a shot. I think it helped a little, but doesn't seem to have solved the problem completely, or even mostly.

As I spend more time messing around with it, the problem does seem worse on open strings. It doesn't completely go away on fretted notes, but it gets much better. It makes me wonder if it's something to do with the nut sluts, although the fact that the issue is present across multiple strings makes me doubt that a bit.
Contact Dave at RainSong. They have great customer service!
Old 05-26-2021, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Subscribing to this. I just got my new Nashville so I want to see where this goes. I played a bit last night and more this morning and I don't recall hearing the zing but I'll be sure to listen for it more. I can say that I don't recall hearing it on my CH-OM1000NS ever.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

I heard this today while I was recording my NGD video. I've heard it before on many guitars. It happens when I take my hand/fingers off the strings while moving them up the fretboard so I get the 'ZING' on the strings. It's amplified on the smaller guitars and especially on carbon fiber which are bright, brash and zingy to begin with. I noted that I did not hear it when I listened back to the video which confirms that only the player hears it. After I heard it I was very careful to make sure I pulled my fingers completely away from the strings when moving my hand and didn't hear it again. So it then becomes a function of playing technique and moving cleanly from chord to chord, string to string which of course can be a challenge when playing fast and/or complex phrasing.

Last edited by Methos1979; 05-28-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:18 AM

Default Noisy Nut on Rainsong

I think I heard someone in the audience call me that, when I took my JM1000 to an open mic...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber