The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-11-2021, 04:34 PM

Forget the "Ds" and go for a Guild F50.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 03-11-2021, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D41Fan View Post
I love all these comments, they are great.. It shows there is some love for the D55 here. I just feel (personal opinion) that Martin has priced themselves out of the ballpark for a lot of people. In Canada, a standard D18 is $3500.00, a D45 is $13,000... Not many people will spend that cash here for a 45.
When looking at what you get from Boucher (Canadian), Larrivee (used to be Canadian), Godin, (Canadian) there are a lot of options.
Now, if I can only find a reputable Guild dealer in Canada I would be happy.
I can’t disagree, only add that IMO, anyone paying retail for a new guitar is making a huge mistake. It’s not a washing machine, you don’t need a warranty.

You can buy much more guitar by letting some other person take the depreciation.

Why more people don’t get that, I’m not sure. Those that need a warranty and custom orders notwithstanding.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-11-2021, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Here is a bit of D 45 Super Bling

Just fast forward to 7:15 - Maury is demonstrating some high end D 45's.

Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 03-12-2021, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Honest question, what would make me spend the money on a D45 standard specs when I can get the same with a Guild D55.. Is the Guild that much of a better value? The bling is there on both. Obviously a little more on the 45.
Ignore nut size or string spacing etc. Is the Martin built any better? Guilds binding is not coming off that I heard of yet.

Thanks,
Dan
The D45 is a very nice show piece for the player/collector.

The Guild is a sweet guitar that is every bit as good in build as a Martin. I'd describe the Guild sound as having an assertive "growl."

And to your question, "what would make me spend the [extra] money on a D45?" I can't think of an answer except, "I just gotta have the D45 and nothing else will do.

Simon & Patrick, Larrivee, Guild, Martin, Taylor, Gibson, Breedlove, Epiphone, and others plus a Mystery Guitar
Old 03-12-2021, 07:29 AM

As a man once said: “boy, I like them Guilds...they drive like Volvos.”

If you’ve never driven a Volvo, just know that was intended as a compliment.

I’d love to own a D55 but I really don’t think I could personally justify the price of the D45, as wonderful as they are. Just me though.
Rb
Old 03-12-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Honest question, what would make me spend the money on a D45 standard specs when I can get the same with a Guild D55.. Is the Guild that much of a better value? The bling is there on both. Obviously a little more on the 45.

Dan
Clearly not the same sound. I couldn't find a video comparing the two, but there are plenty of videos comparing the Guild to a D-28. I think that says something relevant to your question, but that's for you to decide.

If I were between these two I'd buy a D-42 (or a 41) for the forward shifted braces. From the front the bling looks identical and you'd save a ton of money. If you have stone hands the 41 might be a better choice, although I think the neck is satin (if that matters).

But I always suggest that people buy the cheapest guitar that their ear likes, so if you like the Guild that would be a fine choice.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-12-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Ignore nut size or string spacing etc. Is the Martin built any better? Guilds binding is not coming off that I heard of yet.

Thanks,
Dan
Funny this should come up - Yesterday at our regular Thursday jam a new (to me) fella showed up with an older Guild D55. Gold hardware. Limited run the year it was made, his was #2 that year. No way to tell anything about the guitar since I didn't play it (oops, my bad - I should have asked) and he wasn't a lead picker at all, but I'd be very happy with a vintage Guild if one came my way. I don't buy new so can't comment on current value.
Martin D-16GT
Martin 000M
Martin Backpacker
Breedlove Concert Copper E
Breedlove Solo Pro 12 String
Lucero classical A/E
Gretsch G9220 Resonator
Epi Dobro Hounddog
Recording King Parlor
Gold Tone F12 12-String Mando
The Loar LM700VS Mando
'61 Fender Strat
Fender 60's RW Jazz bass
90's Fender MIJ mystery passive P/J
Old 03-12-2021, 11:15 AM

I'm typically a Martin guy but when I tried the Guild D-55 at the local store my jaw quickly dropped, it was that great sounding.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:52 PM

Music Villa had a D55 last year. I played it and was immediately teleported by Scotty back to Washington Square in 1971. It has that big folk sound I loved but as a college kid, couldn’t afford. So I thought about it overnight ( I had just bought a D 28AA and was wondering how to fanagle the funds. Called Paul at theVilla the next day. Some lucky S*B bought it right after I left. Oh well. GAS solved for the moment. And as previously mentioned the D55 doesn’t sound anything like a D45. Or any other Martin, Gibson or Taylor either.
Martin D28 1937 Aged Authentic
John Walker Lochsa
Roberts Slope Dread
Johnny Rushing Ditson Style 12 Fret
Beard Goldtone Resonator
Bob Thompson Slope Shoulder
Old 03-13-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
I agree....I've wanted a D-42 for 20 years...never owned one...If I bought one it wouldn't change my life...I have some guitars as good, almost as good or even better...BUT....I still want one..just something about the clarity of that model and the snowflakes....I've also "wanted" a Guild d-55 too...I used to have a guitar teacher who was a professional touring musician and that's what she played...great guitar!!....those 2 guitars are similar...but not the same...to me it just boils down to what you "want"

I wanted a D-45. No regrets. Will seek out and play the Guild. Had a Guild D-25 I liked.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill Jones View Post
Music Villa had a D55 last year. I played it and was immediately teleported by Scotty back to Washington Square in 1971. It has that big folk sound I loved but as a college kid, couldn’t afford. So I thought about it overnight ( I had just bought a D 28AA and was wondering how to fanagle the funds. Called Paul at theVilla the next day. Some lucky S*B bought it right after I left. Oh well. GAS solved for the moment. And as previously mentioned the D55 doesn’t sound anything like a D45. Or any other Martin, Gibson or Taylor either.
I picked up a D55 at Music Villa last year around Labor day(maybe it was this one). Was looking at some of their custom Martins and was more impressed with the Guild.
I have owned several high end Martins including a couple D45's. All were very nice guitars. My favorite is the D42. As far as D45 vs D55, I think the D55 is a lot more guitar for the money.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:26 AM

Hey guys,

Perhaps a little bit out of context. But I live in Holland and the prices of the guild d55E(3600 euro) are at the same range of the HD-28 (3700). Would you guys even pick the Guild over the HD-28 and even an d-18? I would mainly use it for studio recording purposes .

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2021, 09:06 AM

I was searching for a D-28 or HD-28 but never found one that had the right sound for me or my playing style. Bought a new Oxnard D55 in January this year and I‘m totally happy. Incredible guitar.
My D-18MD is more raw and brutal in direct comparison, very different and great as well. I play with 5 friends in an acoustic band (including banjo and fiddle!!!) and the power of the D-18 is just right.

For recording or smaller band settings it would be the Guild. Especially in comparison to D-18 standard. The D55 is just more clear and balanced. And it has a not too loud but deeeep bass. Beware of the proximity effect with both of them.

Buy one, work hard, save money and buy the other. Sorry, but that’s the way it goes!
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 06-19-2021, 09:26 AM

Thanks Peter for your advice!
Just ordered a Guild d55. Can't wait to get it!
Old 06-19-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob202 View Post
Thanks Peter for your advice!
Just ordered a Guild d55. Can't wait to get it!
Wow! Now I truly hope you like it. But I’m confident. Wherever you look now, the new Guilds get a lot of love. Here it is even compared to a top Martin. Also, take a look into the letstalkguild forum.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion