The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-18-2020, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc. View Post
Not to get off topic, but how many of you really need a battery powered amp/speaker? I understand that it is useful for outdoor gigs and places where power sources are inconveniently located, but what percentage of your gigging experiences fall into this category? My understanding is that batteries add weight and expense while limiting power, meanwhile most of the time there is an outlet close enough to be reached with or without an extension cord. Also, batteries wear out and need to be replaced eventually (if my experience with power tools can be relied upon as a reference here). As a backup, a battery powered option makes a lot of sense, but as a primary rig, it seems unnecessary. Your experience may differ.
sounds like you don't need a battery powered amp/speaker then.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:11 AM
Charter Member

I think the problem is bringing the “need” word into your argument - If need were really involved in any of this, there wouldn’t be an AGF -

For me the S1s are incredibly handy - ignoring the playing, they’ve been great for outdoor movie nights and barbecues, plugging in a mic for spooky noises on halloween, and playing music loud enough in the shop to hear over the dust collector. Yes, power was in most of those places, but it wasn’t needed, so set-up and breakdown were pretty instant. They make quick and easy monitors, an extra output for another system, and, if nothing else, you can just plug a guitar in and play -

‘Need”? Probably not - enjoy? Most definitely -
Old 12-19-2020, 01:08 PM

Fair enough..! As someone who obsesses daily about music and musical equipment, I can't argue with you on that point. I bet that using wireless systems with the S1 would also be a nice touch.

Personally, I would love to have an EAE D6-58. They're very well reviewed and the digital mixers on these units look amazing; I wish more amplifiers had these kinds of features. However, the Bose is half the weight, so that is worth considering.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:56 AM

How to remove S1 grill for cleaning without damage?
Old 06-20-2021, 12:57 PM

I am a drummer. Do not try to use the S1Pro for what it was not designed to do. Acoustic guitar/vocals wonderful, kick drum NO!
For anyone going the dual S1 Pro route they scale up considerably when you add any decent small sub. I would even go with one S1Pro with a sub over dual S1Pros. The sub creates a real full range experience especially for any kind of percussion or backing tracks. The new Bose Sub1 at 36lbs is pricey at $800 but punches like a larger subwoofer. Another sub I can recommend is EV ELX200-12SP at $700.

I also have the QSC CP8. With the Jonsfield 5 Beaudens setup it outperforms the S1Pro by a wide margin! Future proof yourself for larger gigs especially outdoors. Nothing more frustrating than seeing the S1Pro clipping red or gain at max and you still need more power!
In this video I use a $400 KRK 10S Subwoofer. https://youtu.be/0M3C1fB0_wE

Beaudens Portable Power Station https://www.amazon.com/BEAUDENS-Port...%2C208&sr=8-3#

Last edited by wweiss; 06-20-2021 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-20-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
I am a drummer. Do not try to use the S1Pro for what it was not designed to do. Acoustic guitar/vocals wonderful, kick drum NO!
For anyone going the dual S1 Pro route they scale up considerably when you add any decent small sub. I would even go with one S1Pro with a sub over dual S1Pros. The sub creates a real full range experience especially for any kind of percussion or backing tracks. The new Bose Sub1 at 36lbs is pricey at $800 but punches like a larger subwoofer. Another sub I can recommend is EV ELX200-12SP at $700.

I also have the QSC CP8. With the Jonsfield 5 Beaudens setup it outperforms the S1Pro by a wide margin! Future proof yourself for larger gigs especially outdoors. Nothing more frustrating than seeing the S1Pro clipping red or gain at max and you still need more power!
In this video I use a $400 KRK 10S Subwoofer. https://youtu.be/0M3C1fB0_wE

Beaudens Portable Power Station https://www.amazon.com/BEAUDENS-Port...%2C208&sr=8-3#
I just ordered a Bose Sub 1 for exactly this!

There are less expensive options, but the Sub 1 is super compact, has a thread mount for using it with a pole, and has a preset especially for using in a tri-amp configuration with either a single or a pair of S1-Pros.
Old 06-21-2021, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
How to remove S1 grill for cleaning without damage?
Can’t help you there, but have you tried the soft, brush vacuum attachment? That’s what I clean mine with.

Also, looks like it’s not possible to remove.

https://community.bose.com/t5/Portab...ll/td-p/546282
Old 06-22-2021, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Can’t help you there, but have you tried the soft, brush vacuum attachment? That’s what I clean mine with.
Also, looks like it’s not possible to remove.
https://community.bose.com/t5/Portab...ll/td-p/546282
Thanks Marty for your kind assistance! I'll suck on it with my shop vac.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification