The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-18-2021, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Default I prefer guitars from the late 1990's vs new

Hi folks,

I find that my favorite acoustic guitars are from the late 1990's. Both my '98 Webber Roundbody and '96 Larrivee OM-09 Custom 12-fret have something special about them (to me anyway). New guitars are great, but I just enjoy these older models. My presumptions are that they are fully opened up and their true character has emerged.

What has your experience been ? Why do you think there is a difference between these older and newer guitars ? Were builders doing something different in the late 1990's ? Were materials different ? Other ?

Cheers!
Old 06-18-2021, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

The Golden Age of acoustic guitars has been going on for several decades, which includes the 1990's. I've owned many guitars from the '90's used for solo finger style (flesh and nail) and most of them were great - from Webber, Goodall, Lowden, and SCGC among others. I still have a 1999 Tippin OMT that I bought new back then.

I don't think the luthiers were doing anything different then they do now, except making minor adjustments to their builds and, of course, applying the increased knowledge and experience earned from their years of hard work and dedication.

Also, many guitars simply sound better once they get some age on them.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:50 PM

I agree. I have a 1995 Dove which is honestly the best example I have ever heard. Same with a 1990 Hummingbird I owned for a while and have regretted selling ever since.

My theory is that now, ‘90s guitars are in the sweet spot age wise when they’re played in and have some years and miles on them, but not so much that they’re starting to develop structural issues. Still totally sound and road-ready, but oh-so-sweet and any brash edges worn away.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:01 PM

Right. They’ve been around long enough that the wood has cured a bit further, but they’re not so old that they’re getting creaky yet.

whm
Old 06-18-2021, 11:01 PM

I love good older guitars. They are honest. "I am done breaking in and opening up. This is who I am." If you can live with a couple of dings here and there there is treasure to be had. Of course you have to like how she decided to be and enjoy her feel and sound. Some guitars can age gracefully. A gift if you can find it.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:09 AM

I have a couple from the 90s, great guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion