The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-31-2021, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I have to say, that is one gorgeous looking guitar. Scratch what I said earlier about standard models!
Thanks!

So on the day that I bought it... I didn't walk into the shop specifically looking at Martins.

The sales guy just said "hey we have a new Martin that is worth a try". But -I took one look at it and thought to myself (no thanks).. But I listened to him, as he explained the features and then he handed it to me to play.

After about 30 seconds of me playing different things.. we both looked at each other smiling and I said "dang this thing sounds great and plays fantastic"...

But I wasn't ready to pull trigger. I thanked him and said I would think about it.. Got home and looked at some reviews and videos .. realized this could be a great guitar for my needs. The thing is so light.. easy to play and sounds great. Price wasn't terrible.

So later that day, I went back to the shop and bought one!

Last edited by JakeStone; 06-21-2021 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-31-2021, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

The guitar and your playing sound great. Thanks for that! Glad you're enjoying the SC13E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post
Just because I happened to get a decent recording of it and not because I'm any great shakes, here's my SC13E unplugged into a couple of condenser mics with just a bare touch of reverb/ comp.

Just to give a reasonable real world impression of the unplugged tone from someone who makes no claims to excellence (far from it). Guitar is tunes to DADGAD capo on 3 here.

Old 06-01-2021, 06:01 AM

Phase Switch: What does it do? I only play acoustic, and don’t even own a real amp. But yesterday I plugged into a little bluetooth speaker I have and tried out my SC’s electronics. I was impressed with the reproduction of a genuine acoustic tone. I understand the volume and scooped controls, but what does the phase switch do? All I could tell was a slight difference in volume. Any help here?

1973 Martin 0021
2011 Martin D-28P
2021 Martin SC13E
Old 06-01-2021, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

On my Loudbox Minin, the phase switch is used for feedback issues. Switching it is supposed to help.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
I just tried one at GC. Great ergonomics and playability, unremarkable tone to my ear. YMMV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Maybe you played a dud? The one I had played sounded wonderful. Also, as a buyer I would suddenly find the tone a lot sweeter when learning it is roughly $1400. I don't even bother playing guitars that cost over $3K, so I'm probably just ignorant.

But it is blissful.
Lots of variables in the acoustic test drive room at Guitarget.

- A dud?
- Strings played out?
- Mishandled by previous tire kickers?

These all fall within the range of possible-to-probable on any given day. You just never know what's been done to a guitar hanging on the wall in a public place like GC. One of many reasons I usually insist on a brand new unit from the manufacturer.

On the day I played a really sweet SC-13E there, I was also impressed with a $600-700 Breedlove sporting the Breedlove Natural Sound pickup. It doesn't have a soundhole pickup, but I can mount a micro tuner in there for $20 and not feel like I'm missing out on what comes with the Martin. Still openminded and looking.

Apples, oranges, and all manner of strange fruit available. Almost too many choices - for me anyway.

Last edited by tinnitus; 06-11-2021 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

I'll have to go back to Guitar Center and play the SC-13E again, keeping in mind that it's strung with 11s. The one I played on two occasions handled wonderfully, but I'm used to 11s (electric) and 12s (acoustic) because I do a lot of bending on both and don't want to jump up/down 2-3 gauges when I swap guitars.

Of course, they're different, but apparently not enough that I really noticed (perhaps because I tend to play "electric songs" or "acoustic songs" depending on the guitar). I'll have to try some Voodoo Chile on the Martin, just for fun, and see if it feels like my Stratocaster (also strung with 11s).

Kinda rambled here, just thinking out loud. My point? There actually is one.

Try 11s and 12s. Especially if you buy a lone demo off the wall (those factory strings might be weeks/months old - and shot). Switch brands, too, and maybe record yourself if you have the technology. Trying a few sets of strings is not a huge investment when it comes to dialing in what brings out the best in any guitar.

Last edited by tinnitus; 06-11-2021 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-17-2021, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
When I saw the release that was my reaction also - factoring in the laminate wood made it even more so. However, When I played one last month for the first time, I was very impressed. ...... It had a much richer sound than I expected
This has been my experience too. When I first saw that the SC-13e was released I dismissed it as something that would probably never interest me and my "marketing BS meter" was triggered. Long story short and fast forward to about a month ago, I decided to order one and try it, based partially on the surprising number of positive reviews I've seen for it.

I've been impressed. Would I compare it to a $3000, all solid wood guitar? Of course not (I would, however, compare it favorably and without hesitation to a less expensive all solid guitar). But I have to say that I was almost shocked at how good it sounds - and by the way, as I'm playing it I've never thought one moment about it having a "layered" (or laminate or whatever you want to call it) back and sides. It just sounds good. I like it better than a Martin SP-16 OOO model I owned previously, better than the Martin GPC I currently own, and better than a Larrivee and Rainsong I've owned previously too. All very different guitars, but the SC-13e has very good and balanced tone, very lively and larger sounding than you might expect, it's fun and easy to play (I moved up to .12s by the way, didn't like the .11s at all) and overall it just feels like a good match for what I want out of a guitar like this.

Although my primary reason for buying this guitar is to have a good "plugged in" guitar, I've been surprised at how much I like it acoustically.

I'm presently considering putting a Baggs Anthem in it, although I haven't ruled out a Baggs Voiceprint or Tonedexter. The UST by itself sounds like a garden variety UST (which it is, and which I knew going in). I've heard worse, but I've heard a lot better

Last edited by geewhiz; 06-20-2021 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-17-2021, 06:27 AM

Default Anybody have a Martin SC-13E yet?

Thanks for your reviews. I too was impressed from the beginning. I’ve had mine for 3 months now, and it is sounding better and better. I appreciate this thread continuing because I believe this is just the beginning of a new chapter for the Martin Guitar Company. I’ve heard mentions of the possibilities of replacement necks, new carves etc., but what about replacement bodies - a D body - or a full scale length 00 body? How awesome would that be?

1973 Martin 0021
2011 Martin D-28P
2021 Martin SC13E
Old 06-20-2021, 08:41 AM

This might sound a little crazy but here goes. I popped into my local music store on Friday for a set of strings. Of course, I had to go into the acoustic room and there was one hanging on the wall. I wanted to test it but after giving my hands a generous coating of hand sanitizer upon entering the store, no way was I ever picking up a guitar. Nuh uh.

It looked fantastic though. Next time
Old 06-21-2021, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caperrob View Post
This might sound a little crazy but here goes. I popped into my local music store on Friday for a set of strings. Of course, I had to go into the acoustic room and there was one hanging on the wall. I wanted to test it but after giving my hands a generous coating of hand sanitizer upon entering the store, no way was I ever picking up a guitar. Nuh uh.

It looked fantastic though. Next time
You owe it to yourself to wash your hands thoroughly and play one!
Old 06-22-2021, 12:42 AM

I definitely will. If it isn't already sold, that is.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:03 PM

Dang I love the shape. Makes my other 2 Martins look kind of boring.

1973 Martin 0021
2011 Martin D-28P
2021 Martin SC13E
Old 07-04-2021, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post
Yes.

I like mine a lot. It's that rare thing that lived up to all of the marketing bumpf.

There's various posts and some Q&D recordings in my history. The unplugged tone is great. Incredibly balanced. Fantastic for recording and gigging. My 000-28 is more complex, objectively better, but for twice the price I would hope so.

Plugged in the SC13E is very nice too. The pick up is nothing special though.

The neck is everything they say it is. An incredibly playable guitar all told, and sounds great (action super out of the box buy intonation needed adjusting)

There are more posts and some recordings in my history. I will certainly be keeping mine.

Anyone offering opinion on how it might play and sound who hasn't tried one...lol (edit: I don't actually understand what the post below is supposed to mean but I don't think he has played one).
Agreed. Well put.

I am addicted to mine. Got me out of a long playstyle slump.
Old 07-05-2021, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I've done a handful of gigs with this guitar and it's been everything I was hoping for....a comfortable acoustic that's easy to hold and play for 3-4 hours.
Only negative for me was the Sonitone pickup it came with, but that was replaced with an Anthem SL and it now sounds great plugged in. Yes it's a bit quiet when unplugged but it is essentially a 000, which won't ever project like a dread. To me, this guitar is still more comfortable than a Taylor Grand Auditorium cutaway, due to the thinner body. I also love being able to use 11s on it.
Jack, how are you liking the Anthem? I'm considering one. Did the luthier run into any issues with the install? And was he/she able to repurpose the existing battery/jack assembly?
Old 07-06-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
Jack, how are you liking the Anthem? I'm considering one. Did the luthier run into any issues with the install? And was he/she able to repurpose the existing battery/jack assembly?
The Anthem improved the sound for sure, but anything will be better than the stock Sonitone pickup. The install wasn't easy, but my luthier was able to do it. Yes he reused the battery part for the Anthem. You will lose the tuner, if that matters to you. The only issue was the size of the bridge plate. There's very little room to fit the tru-mic piece on the bridge. I was able to fit it behind the bridge pins. Good luck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion