The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
I searched "J-60 abalone."

This was the first hit.

Only 6 made. Hopefully you paid a fair price to your neighbor!
Woah that's crazy! However there is no signature

On a side note, I'm the lead engineer at Jodyjazz Inc
Old 05-22-2019, 03:22 PM

The Gibson J-60 model was an attempt by Gibson to compete with Martin’s dreadnoughts, particularly for the bluegrass market. They were made with three different back and sides woods that I’m aware of: Indian rosewood, maple and black walnut. The walnut ones seem to be the most common.

What they are is Gibson’s original 14 fret dreadnought body, used first for the Hummingbird, Dove and Gospel models, with the forward shifted scalloped bracing from the Advanced Jumbo.

So they’re big guitars, wider and deeper than Martin dreadnoughts and larger still than the Gibson Songwriter series guitars.

I owned a black walnut J-60 for a few years. It was a nice guitar, but someone else REALLY wanted it so I sold it to him.

Anyway, the J-60’s are well regarded instruments. One way you can tell at a glance if they come from the Bonecrusher I or II series is by what tuners they have on them: the first series had sealed gear tuners while the second had open gear Grover Sta-Tites.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-22-2019, 04:57 PM

Is that right? I thought that the J-60s were typically rosewood in the most common iteration.

Maybe I think that because that's what I have, though, but when I was looking that seemed to be the predominance out there.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:19 PM

Could be: the truth is that I haven’t had enough hands-on experience with J-60’s to know either way. I’ve owned one and played two others: two walnut examples and one maple example, all total.

Now the original “bonecrusher,” the Advanced Jumbo, is definitely a rosewood guitar. But not most of the J-60’s that I’ve seen listed or pictured online.

It might have depended on which run they were built in. There was a 1990’s run of J-60’s and another in the early 2000’s.

Anyway, we will probably need to talk to a genuine Gibson expert (which I most definitely am NOT) to know for certain.

In any event, Gibson definitely made a bunch of walnut J-60’s during that early 2000’s run.

whm
Old 05-22-2019, 05:37 PM

I bet the walnut backed ones were great, this thread inspired me to pull out my J-60 yesterday night.

I had the idea when I got it that I could get in the ballpark of a Martin D-28 at a price I could afford and I already knew that I really liked Gibson acoustics, and I no longer feel much need to buy a Martin D-28 at any price, really.

Stunning guitars, the J-60. Congrats to the OP and get some pictures up as you can, I'm pretty intrigued .
Old 05-22-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
I searched "J-60 abalone."

This was the first hit.

Only 6 made. Hopefully you paid a fair price to your neighbor!
The OP dates his guitar to 1993. But the Jam '08 Bonecrusher IIT would be easy to identify based on the signed label and the French Heel neck. Not sure if this is he same issue or not but there was also a Jam 08 Iron Mountain J60 of which six were issued with a natural top and six with a burst.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
The OP dates his guitar to 1993. But the Jam '08 Bonecrusher IIT would be easy to identify based on the signed label and the French Heel neck. Not sure if this is he same issue or not but there was also a Jam 08 Iron Mountain J60 of which six were issued with a natural top and six with a burst.
Didn't read the fine print, so missed the "Summer Jam '08 Certificate of Authenticity" part. Dead giveaway. Not the same guitar. Thanks. The mystery remains unsolved...

My J60 (rosewood b/s) is one of the few I regret letting go. And so CHEAP!
Old 05-22-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
I bet the walnut backed ones were great, this thread inspired me to pull out my J-60 yesterday night.

I had the idea when I got it that I could get in the ballpark of a Martin D-28 at a price I could afford and I already knew that I really liked Gibson acoustics, and I no longer feel much need to buy a Martin D-28 at any price, really.

Stunning guitars, the J-60. Congrats to the OP and get some pictures up as you can, I'm pretty intrigued .
They're is a picture of it that Sax Player Guy helped me upload up above. I can't figure out how to do it yet. Lol
Old 05-23-2019, 07:55 AM

As far as I have been able to figure out, the first runs of J60s came with an ebony board with no inlays. So if the guitar is a '93, assuming the inlays were not aftermarket, the guitar would have to have been either a custom order or a limited CS run.

The thing about the J60 is they were initially not a commercial success. Bluegrass players did not take to them as Gibson had hoped while Gibson "purists" also showed little interest in the model.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:13 AM

So I'm still a bit confused... there's only one photo in this thread. Is that the OPs guitar in the pink fur case pic?
Old 05-23-2019, 08:16 AM

When I talked to the guy at the Montana factory, I gave him the serial number and description. He told me that sometimes dealers would request a special run(like an abalone inlay). He also said that they didn't keep records of these "special" orders which sucks. I really just hope someone out there sees this thread and can provide a picture of the same looking fretboard. I cannot find a picture of a J-60 with an abalone fretboard anywhere.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph1050 View Post
So I'm still a bit confused... there's only one photo in this thread. Is that the OPs guitar in the pink fur case pic?
yes that is my guitar
Old 05-23-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rztowns View Post
When I talked to the guy at the Montana factory, I gave him the serial number and description. He told me that sometimes dealers would request a special run(like an abalone inlay). He also said that they didn't keep records of these "special" orders which sucks. I really just hope someone out there sees this thread and can provide a picture of the same looking fretboard. I cannot find a picture of a J-60 with an abalone fretboard anywhere.
Typical Gibson... check your PMs I may be able to help you with this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion