The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-20-2019, 02:14 PM

Default reasonably priced guitar for strumming

I own a Seagull Artist Concert Hall. Love the guitar. However, I am looking for something that is more of a strumming guitar as an additional guitar. I would prefer not to spend a ton of money. I have been looking at 3 different guitars: Seagull Maritime SWS GT QIT (Sitka Spruce and Mahogany back and sides); Yamaha A3R (Sitka Spruce top and Rosewood back and sides); Yamaha LJ6 (Engelman Spruce top with rosewood laminate back and sides).

I am curious if anyone has had any experience with these. I have tried them out and find the Yamaha A3R has the deepest tone, the LJ6 is the brightest, and the Seagull is good across the spectrum. I am curious if anyone has tried these out and would be interested in your thoughts. In addition, any other suggestions?
Old 05-20-2019, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

For strumming I have the best luck with mahogany backed guitars. Rosewood seems to get a bit shrill if you hit it hard. I feel like rosewood produces more overtones and the strummed sound gets too busy.

Of course someone will post something completely opposite in a few minutes. Might be a good idea to spend a little time playing them and then deciding which is best for you.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 05-20-2019, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

If you are looking for a dreadnought that's a great strummer 9as well as everything else!), look no further than the Alvarez Masterclass Blue Grass...

Solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides, VERY nice fit and finish, nice hardshell case...

$550!!!!!!!!!

I've ony played three that have come through my local store in Corvallis, Bullfrog Music, and each one has been a delight! Certainly everything that a Martin D-18 would aspire to be... for 1/4 the cost...

Amazing stuff coming out of China these days....

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 05-20-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfatguy View Post
I have been looking at 3 different guitars: Seagull Maritime SWS GT QIT (Sitka Spruce and Mahogany back and sides); Yamaha A3R (Sitka Spruce top and Rosewood back and sides); Yamaha LJ6 (Engelman Spruce top with rosewood laminate back and sides).
I had a Yamaha A3R and it was a great guitar. They are well built and look great. The Yamaha SRT pickup system is probably one of the best. I only sold it because I also have a Gibson SJ-200 and other electric guitars and didn't need it.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

What is your exact price range? Do you have a preferred body size? Seems like you're looking at mostly dreads but I've played plenty of smaller bodied guitars that are great strummers too. Agreed with GWP that guitars with mahogany back and sides make for the best strumming guitars but I'm also partial to hog in general. Lots of options out there, especially if you're willing to look at used guitars as well, but some more info will help the posters here make better recommendations.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:26 PM

Default Price range and style

For price range, I am trying to keep it around $900 U.S. ($1,200 CDN) or less (I live in Canada). I would prefer something with more depth and volume. My Seagull is a concert hall model (similar to an OM I think). It has great sound. However, I am looking for something with a deeper tone to it. I do have a Taylor 356CE 12 string (grand symphony style) which i purchased used for a fair price. It has tons of volume, but many times a song doesn't call for a 12 string.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:38 PM

New, look at Washburn, Alvarez and Yamaha.
Used give Eastman a good look.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:39 PM

Sounds like you are in line for a Dreadnought of some sort.
There is stuff out there new and used at your price point. You will be the recipient of lots of suggestions.
You can purchase an Eastman E10D Dreadnought new from one of the vendors on here for pretty nearly where you at price-wise. Heckuva' guitar.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-20-2019, 05:09 PM

I have a Martin DRS2 that I love. $830ish new $600 used. Great strummer. All solid woods well build.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:26 PM

If you're plugging in, the Yamaha A3R gets my vote.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Eastman E20D Used.

/ thread.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Agree with other posters about Eastman, they are great guitars and you can find plenty in your price range. I recently played an Alvarez that really impressed me, the MD60. Good price and it sounded like a D18 lite. Of course, if you're willing to stretch your budget a little bit/wait in order to save some more I'm sure you could find an actual D18 in the low-mid $1000s. Definitely check out Eastman and Alvarez though, great value guitars.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:37 PM

Check this out.

Fit a set of bone pins and a bone saddle on the Epiphone EJ-200 and together with DR Sunbeam strings and wow!You have a great strummer!
Trust me.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-22-2019, 01:00 PM

You should look at the L 16 series, all solid, similar to the A3 series.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:59 PM

since you tried them all, you probably would know the best but my experience tells me that the LJ16 may not be the way to go if you are looking for a strumming guitar unless you are very controlled in your strumming energy. i have a LL-TA which is basically a LL16 ARE and i find the Englemann top is very responsive and harsh when strummed too hard. so, if it were me, i would go with the A3R especially if you plan to play plugged in.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion