The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccorobb View Post
Thanks all. I put a set of ej16s (light gauge) on it and the sound is MUCH stronger than it was with the previous strings from the seller. Not sure what he had on it but maybe they were 11s?

Anyway, I anticipated keeping this guitar strung with lights but now that I've heard how it responds I am going to try a bluegrass set (lite tops, med bottoms). I have mediums on all my other guitars and they have a longer scale length, so my guess is this would still feel slinkier by comparison. Just got a good deal on the agf classifieds for 6 sets of EXP19s so we'll give them a whirl.

I don't know if it's the size or light strings but I can flat pick faster on this guitar than any others. Funny because I bought it for finger style. And the volume is good enough for a picking circle. I played fiddle tunes last night with my boys on cello and mandolin and had no trouble w volume.
That’s awesome! I just put a set of Daddario Nickel Bronze balanced tension mediums on me E1OM, and they are my favorite strings on that guitar by a long shot. Give ‘em a go!
Old 05-23-2019, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
That’s awesome! I just put a set of Daddario Nickel Bronze balanced tension mediums on me E1OM, and they are my favorite strings on that guitar by a long shot. Give ‘em a go!
Interesting. I use lights on my E10OM and tried the Nickel Bronze BTs, but didn't like the tonality. It sounded wimpy and the tonal balance was off. I played 'em for a couple of months. When I put Retro lights back on, it was like I got my old guitar back.

Granted, gauge makes a significant difference (along with guitars and ears being different). FWIW, I can play mediums on short-scale but don't enjoy them. Don't remember what all I've tried in medium, but they choked some of the liveliness. That said, PB is my least favorite on this guitar, although I don't care for PB in general.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Element View Post
Interesting. I use lights on my E10OM and tried the Nickel Bronze BTs, but didn't like the tonality. It sounded wimpy and the tonal balance was off. I played 'em for a couple of months. When I put Retro lights back on, it was like I got my old guitar back.

Granted, gauge makes a significant difference (along with guitars and ears being different). FWIW, I can play mediums on short-scale but don't enjoy them. Don't remember what all I've tried in medium, but they choked some of the liveliness. That said, PB is my least favorite on this guitar, although I don't care for PB in general.
I'm glad we live in the world we do with all of the choices we have. I spent a year experimenting with strings on different guitars and ended up with EXP17s (pb mediums) on all my dreads. There may be others that would suit one guitar or another a little better, but I feel like I have gotten to know the particular tone of this set of strings and the fact that it is consistent means I'm hearing differences in guitars when I switch instruments.

I haven't tried the nb BTs though. Maybe one day
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2009 Breedlove American 000 MM
2007 Breedlove DR Deluxe Custom
2010s Eastman E10OM SB
Old 05-23-2019, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Gorgeous!!! I'm a sucker for a good burst.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 05-23-2019, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccorobb View Post
I'm glad we live in the world we do with all of the choices we have. I spent a year experimenting with strings on different guitars and ended up with EXP17s (pb mediums) on all my dreads. There may be others that would suit one guitar or another a little better, but I feel like I have gotten to know the particular tone of this set of strings and the fact that it is consistent means I'm hearing differences in guitars when I switch instruments.

I haven't tried the nb BTs though. Maybe one day
Agreed that it's great to have so many choices, although it can be a challenge to sample them all. I presently have three acoustics. After a lot of experimenting, each has a different brand, type, and gauge. While not finished experimenting, I'm relatively well settled.

Conversely, on my electrics (about 9 of 'em), almost all have the same brand and type, with slight adjustments of gauge.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
Oh my - it's so gorgeous! Many congrats!

Eastman seems to be really crushing it these days
Well put.......
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-23-2019, 08:54 PM

Beautiful back. Play it pretty....
Old 05-24-2019, 04:57 AM

Very nice looking OM. Congratulations and enjoy it.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

Play it in good health. That’s a stunner.

Optima dies, prima fugit

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion