The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-18-2014, 07:50 AM

Default Cordoba C10 Crossover

When this guitar came out on the market not so long ago, I thought it might be a mini-holy grail for steel string pluckers who dabble 'on the other side'. I already had a C9 parlor (bought in the days when it used to be called the 'C9 Dolce'), and that's proven to be a lovely guitar, but the idea of a full-sized body in solid spruce and rosewood with a radiused 12-fret ebony fretboard by Cordoba for less than $1,000 was a real temptation.

Well, when MF revived their 15% off deal a month or so ago, that was it, and I ordered one. It was a backorder, so I had to wait a few weeks, but it arrived this week. I don't know if it's a 'holy grail', but I definitely do think my nylon string searches are at an end. This is one gorgeous guitar. Beautiful woods, deep, rich timbre, and great playability. My C9 Parlor is now in dropped D and the C10 is in standard. I think my steel string guitars are going to get very, very jealous ...
Old 10-18-2014, 08:10 AM

I watched the video of it on the Cordoba site and it sounds and looks great. Cordoba appears to be making some great guitars. Congratulations!
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 10-18-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
I watched the video of it on the Cordoba site and it sounds and looks great. Cordoba appears to be making some great guitars. Congratulations!
Thanks! Yes, I'm really pleased with the two guitars I have by them.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
When this guitar came out on the market not so long ago, I thought it might be a mini-holy grail for steel string pluckers who dabble 'on the other side'. I already had a C9 parlor (bought in the days when it used to be called the 'C9 Dolce'), and that's proven to be a lovely guitar, but the idea of a full-sized body in solid spruce and rosewood with a radiused 12-fret ebony fretboard by Cordoba for less than $1,000 was a real temptation.

Well, when MF revived their 15% off deal a month or so ago, that was it, and I ordered one. It was a backorder, so I had to wait a few weeks, but it arrived this week. I don't know if it's a 'holy grail', but I definitely do think my nylon string searches are at an end. This is one gorgeous guitar. Beautiful woods, deep, rich timbre, and great playability. My C9 Parlor is now in dropped D and the C10 is in standard. I think my steel string guitars are going to get very, very jealous ...
How do you find the width of the neck with the extra thickness of the GBE strings? Does it give you a crowded feel?
Garcia #2 classical
Cordoba C10 Luthier Series
Tacoma Olympia OB3CE acoustic bass

"I don't care what style you want to play. If you want to master good guitar tone, master preparation, attack and release first." ~ Paul Guma
Old 10-18-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondoraymundo View Post
How do you find the width of the neck with the extra thickness of the GBE strings? Does it give you a crowded feel?
GBE strings? I don't know what those are. The C10 Crossover comes with Savarez Corum Alliance strings.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:41 PM

Excuse me..I mean the high g,b and e strings. Strings that are thicker than their steel cousins, yet now on a narrower neck. Does that give you a cramped or confining feeling?
Garcia #2 classical

"I don't care what style you want to play. If you want to master good guitar tone, master preparation, attack and release first." ~ Paul Guma

Last edited by Rondoraymundo; 10-18-2014 at 12:42 PM. Reason: "kindle spelling"
Old 10-18-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Excuse me..I mean the high g,b and e strings. Strings that are thicker than their steel cousins, yet now on a narrower neck. Does that give you a cramped or confining feeling?
I've always felt crowded with nylon strings on a narrower neck. Much prefer the standard classical nut width...YMMV.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Whoops, sorry!

No, the top strings feel fine. I find that 1 7/8" is narrow enough to feel a little more comfortable, but not so narrow as to cramp finger movement.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Whoops, sorry!

No, the top strings feel fine. I find that 1 7/8" is narrow enough to feel a little more comfortable, but not so narrow as to cramp finger movement.
I play mostly classical now as it is easier on my arthritic fingers and I am thinking of upgrading maybe to a crossover. I also am thinking about the Cordoba line but I have not had the opportunity to play anything higher than a C7 and a GK studio. I'd be interested in anything else you might have to say about the C10 crossover...it's one of the models I have targeted for playing.
Garcia #2 classical

Old 10-18-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I play mostly classical now as it is easier on my arthritic fingers and I am thinking of upgrading maybe to a crossover. I also am thinking about the Cordoba line but I have not had the opportunity to play anything higher than a C7 and a GK studio. I'd be interested in anything else you might have to say about the C10 crossover...it's one of the models I have targeted for playing.
I've been through quite a few crossovers: Ovation Classic, Takamine TC135SC, Taylor NS42, 44 and 72, and the Cordoba Orchestra Pro. While I've appreciated the playability, the sound has never been quite so satisfying, or I haven't liked the 14 fret necks. The C10 Crossover definitely seems the best compromise yet; it has the full body of a classical, 12frets, comfortable fretboard, and a really good sound.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I've been through quite a few crossovers: Ovation Classic, Takamine TC135SC, Taylor NS42, 44 and 72, and the Cordoba Orchestra Pro. While I've appreciated the playability, the sound has never been quite so satisfying, or I haven't liked the 14 fret necks. The C10 Crossover definitely seems the best compromise yet; it has the full body of a classical, 12frets, comfortable fretboard, and a really good sound.
Thanks for the info. I will have an opportunity to play a C10 crossover next month. I am also looking for something that is aurally a significant upgrade from my Garcia. Haven't heard that yet.
Garcia #2 classical

Old 10-18-2014, 04:42 PM

Smile

I haven't tried that model but instead have the GK Studio Negra which is awesome. Same nut width but electric cutaway style neck instead of classical of your model. I was surprised by the response and mine is actually quite bassy which I am loving. My niece has the C5. While not as bassy as mine the tone is clear on hers. It just has that full classical nut width which throws me off a little. Overall I think Cordoba is making some decent guitars. Especially for the crossover types. Nice little niche they are filling
Old 10-18-2014, 06:42 PM

I recently added a Cordoba Fusion 12 in maple body to my collection. Other than some of the fretts being a bit sharp, ( a problem quickly solved with a StewMac file) im very happy with it. Plugged in sounds pretty good too! Some of my steel strings are a bit lonely too.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:17 AM

Cool

Nice acquisition...CONGRATS on your new family member.

Play in good health!
Alvarez Yairi CY-127-CE
Alvarez Yairi CY-140-CE
Old 10-22-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ in FL View Post
Nice acquisition...CONGRATS on your new family member.

Play in good health!
Thanks a lot!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical