The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-07-2018, 07:40 AM

Default Gauge of String and Bass Response/Projection on CF Guitars

I am going to go get the Martin Retro Monel Strings today.

I am debating on the custom 11s or the 12 gauge.

It does "seem" like I get better projection on my Rainsong with the 12s.

Just curious what you all have found as far as better bass response as I have to admit I am going to miss that deep bass on my Cargo.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 12-07-2018, 08:34 AM

Not sure what to tell you, Dr. Lisa (it IS sticking).

My Rainsong WS-1000 has worn medium Elixir's for the last two years. It was always a very loud guitar, so I'm not sure that it become any louder with those heavier strings. My reason was being able to tune down while still maintaining adequate tension. I keep it in D-d (standard minus one) or other lowered tunings most of the time. Right now it is in F Wahine tuning (CFCGCE) and the bass does not suffer tuned that low.

My wife's Cargo has light gauge 53-12's on it, her preference for easier playing feel, and it lives in Open G nearly 100% of the time. I don't recall that it suffered much from switching to lights. But it does not get much play time lately, with an X7 in the house. Maybe I'll get it out of the closet and take it for a spin this weekend.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:37 AM

Hello Kindness, I can directly respond do a degree. I've not tried Retro custom lights but I have tried a straight set of lights (or 12's) and a mix set with light tops (E,A,D,G) and the B and high E of a Tony Rice medium set (so a 13 and a 16).

The reason I tried the latter is because the Shorty can be a fairly brilliant instrument and I found the right string choice was paramount for optimum tone. There was a thread about a year ago on the general forum about taming harsh treble overtones for very dynamic guitars (of which the Shorty is by far the most dynamic guitar I've ever had my hands on) by beefing up the trebles to control run away string overtones.

I will summarize with this: The Retros and GHS Bronze and Silk were my favorite strings for the Shorty over the 4 years I owned one. If you buy Retros I think you will find that the gauge does not matter but the tone you will hear will. In fact, you may not initially like them at all- I'm just guessing. But, give them a chance before you freak and pull them off the guitar. They take of bit of settling in and your ears are so accustomed to hearing tradional alloys that the monel sound hits your ears a little odd. Having put forth that one caveat I found Retro 12 set to be by far my favorite strings for my style of play. Amazing intonation, last like 4 months under all kinds of abuse and alternate tunings, and get sweeter with time. No joke and a cheap experiment even if you find they are not for you. Others who love Retros on their RainSongs feel free to chime in. They are awesome strings.

Good luck!
Old 12-07-2018, 09:21 AM

Thank you for the input! Yes, I understand the the Retros don't sound great at first, so patience grasshopper.

Thank you again! Off to Guitar Center in a bit!

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 12-07-2018, 11:01 AM

Use the Monels on my shorty. 12's are great. Currently have 13's on, I notice no difference in volume or tone...that is kind of interesting but that is what I hear. Only reason I have the 13's on is to use up what I have in the box...
Old 12-08-2018, 06:24 AM

I went to Guitar Center yesterday and they had one package of 12s left, omg. These strings are obviously very popular!

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 12-08-2018, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

For my Cargos and McPherson Touring (and my shrinking collection of wood acoustics), I use D'Addario EJ-16 (light gauge) strings. There is a difference in tone compared to heavier string gauges, but that is the trade-off for playability.

For those who mostly strum "cowboy chords", it probably is better to use heavier gauge strings. But for playing intricate solo fingerstyle material, at least for me, light gauge seems to work better and I am willing to live with a bit less tone.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber