The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-12-2014, 06:51 PM

The idea is very attractive, but the fact that you can't quickly change the tuning limits their usefulness for the things I play.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windminstrel View Post
..... a newbie here to classical guitar.

I recently bought an old 70's BM Espana from Ebay, it was only cheap and sold as 'spares or repair'. The guitar was in need of a serious amount of TLC and I decided it was worthy of spending a little time and money on it, whatever the views of others regarding this particular brand bear in mind that:
a) I enjoy refurbishing old guitars and
b) It was my intention to use it to learn classical guitar on
c) I don't listen to others, I like to make my own mind up

My wife's face was a picture when she saw the dirty old guitar with bits missing, 3 old strings and what appeared to be soot on the front of it.

I have replaced the nut and saddle with new bone ones, replaced the (beyond repair) tuners with a new set, cleaned up the dulled frets and fingerboard, re-staining the fingerboard with ebony wood dye. I was going to replace the bridge but the original one was in good condition so left it on.

Finished it off with a set of D'Addario Pro Arte EJ45 Normal Tension Strings.

Re-stringing was interesting, a couple of trebles needed re-tying after they unwound and pinged off, but I re-tied them (4 loops on the high E rather than the usual 3 which worked well) and all is well. Well, it will be once the strings settle down, my tuner is currently in overdrive.

Anyway, once I get it in tune I am greatly impressed with the sound. I also have bought a book for learning Classical Guitar.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Classical-Gu...assical+guitar

I am looking forward to my new journey, although the stringing up was a pain in the **** the first time, I don't have any qualms about doing it again.

Below is a link to some of the photographs taken.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1054764...eat=directlink

I have missed a turn on the low E but will rectify this, it is held up on a tie on the A and tunes up anyway.

Update: 12/10/13
Well, as it stands at the moment I am spending less time on the nylon and more on my Tanglewood. I enjoy playing the classical occasionally now, but my preference is for the tone I get from my steel string. Diversity is a good thing when playing guitar and learning all aspects of guitar music is a good journey.
Espana's and Goya's (NOT the later asian goya's which martin marketed in the 80's-90's) are swell guitars...made in the Levin factories in Sweden and Finland--same outfit that made hagstrom electrics...In the 60's Martin offered the scandinavian Goyas as a budget line--including some steel-stringers. I have an espana-branded classical like yours...love it...spruce over mahogany, great 'folk/country/blues/ragtime' nylon-stringer.

You got a good guitar!
Old 09-25-2014, 09:01 AM

Over a year later and this thread pops back up...

My playing time is probably more 50/50 now...but the solo gigs I've done in the last year I've done all nylon and loved it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-25-2014, 09:28 AM

I'm 75% nylon, 20% steel string, 5% Telecaster.

The more I play nylon, the more I prefer it.

Messing about with Brazilian and renewed interest in learning the classical basics of technique and reading.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:22 AM

I take back what I 've said a year ago ....If a classical guitar is your thing then stick to it !!!!
Old 09-25-2014, 02:50 PM

Just got my first nylon, a Cordoba Fusion about a month ago and really like it. Gets alot of play time. The tone and feel are real nice. I'll still keep my Martin 000-15 and Yairi but nylon really talks to me too.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:30 PM

Just got my 1st nylon last week at a swapmeet. It's a Goya G10 Made in Sweden. It cleaned up beautifully.

Ome Wizard banjo
Deering Eagle II Openback banjo

Full Time RVer mainly in California & Arizona
Old 10-04-2014, 11:03 PM

i happened to run into my 1st nylon (Cordoba GK Studio Negra) less than a year ago in a Sam Ash and couldn't put it down. i was amazed at how easy it was to play compared to steel. of course the sound is different but i found a model that was actually pleasantly bassy and made up for the difference. i didn't know it when i purchased it but it was a hybrid with some added bass for a particular sound. because i came from steel acoustic background i initially noticed the guitar in the store because the neck was similar to steel as opposed to the wide ones of the classical genre. this made it easier for me to play and more appealing. i found out later that i got what they call the cutaway-electric neck which is middle of the road for the neck styles they produce.

Cordoba Neck Styles

My GK Studio Negra

Last edited by Twilo123; 10-04-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:52 PM

Goya G-10 is a classic classical. I have owned my share.

Congrats.. it looks good.

Short story.

I was in Belize around 1990... slumming in Monkey River, looking for timber.

I was hanging out with the local canoe maker, a furniture maker, and some of their buds..
We got into a little rum... out comes a guitar.. a Goya G-10 they traded off a Swedish tourist for some local "product" (contrivo). The guitar was passed around and surprisingly, every one of the 8 of us could play something... one guy was a dead ringer for the singer Charlie Pride. Ode to A Goya.. Carribbean style.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical