The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-21-2013, 09:20 AM

I just bought a cheap classical with a Fishman system for the fun of it. I'm going through my songlist and noting which pieces sound better on my steel string vs on the classical. About 25 % sound best on steel, 35% sound best on nylon, and the remainder sound good on both. I love the nylon strings on a 2 inch wide neck (crossover/hybrid guitar)....I can play faster on them, they hurt less, and I can get a wide range of sounds (dynamics?) by varying my picking and fingerpicking techniques. A classical sound with attitude from hard picking = great blues tones for rythym or lead...really really fun !

Odd thing though...my keyboard amp sounds alot better than my acoustic guitar amp when I use the classical guitar. Both amps are great for my steel-string.

Another thing...I love the sound I get from the nylon strings when I add a good amount of reverb and just a tinge of chorus.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
. . . . Odd thing though...my keyboard amp sounds a lot better than my acoustic guitar amp when I use the classical guitar. . . .
I find exactly the same thing.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:17 PM

Arrow Nylon/acoustic amp choice?

I have a Chet Atkins Custom Shop Nylon Studio, a Larrivee OM-9 electric, and a Kirk Sand nylon that I inherited when my son passed away last year.

I need advise on an amp.

I have been reading up and listening to youtube demo's on the Yamaha THR5A, the Roland AC 33 & 60, the Fishman Mini, and the Genz-Benz Shen JR.

I just want it for my family room and to get the best sound out of these 3 guitars. I really don't need the mike side of the Fishman. I have read that Roland amps are known for a hiss.

The Yamaha seems to have a lot to offer - a nylon setting, steel string mike settings, USB connection for mac, IPod use, sounds good on youtube, but is it just a toy at that size and price? Price isn't a major concern but I don't want to go overboard for just home use.

I already have a DeLuxe Reverb for my PRS but these 3 new guitars don't sound very good through them. Since you guys are all talking about going nylon can you steer me towards a good pick - either from these or some other that you prefer.

Thanks - Rick
Old 11-03-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyc View Post
I have a Chet Atkins Custom Shop Nylon Studio, a Larrivee OM-9 electric, and a Kirk Sand nylon that I inherited when my son passed away last year.

I need advise on an amp.

Thanks - Rick
Hi Rick
I have finally settled down with a Jam SR150 amp. It does have 4 inputs (2 xlr) phantom power, and reverb / delay. Although it is pretty much a compact PA ( and very compact) it is by far the puriest, cleanest reproduction of audio on any acoustic instrument I have ever run thru it. Very high quality internal amp components and 8" speaker with a separate tweater. It does have a master volume as well. Also is the best vocal amp I have used as well, it does it all. They are a little on the pricey side, but you get what you pay for in this case.
Here is a review
http://www.premierguitar.com/article...tic_Amp_Review
Old 11-03-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchie View Post
I went all nylon acoustics after I got my Yamaha NTX 700 (I also have a Takamine C132S). I had a few old Japanese Epiphones and a lawsuit Takamine G330, nothing expensive. I did recently however pick up a Gretsch Jim Dandy, its a little 24" scale parlor thats $150 new for my little girl when she gets bigger. I get to play with it until then though .
I found that after I got my previously enjoyed CGX171CCA , it became my main player. I have a Loudbox Mini to plug into...awesome together. So much so that I dumped 3 steel strings that had no electronics ( an old Ventura V14, an Alvarez and another beater Rouge that used to be my shop guitar) I really enjoy my Yamaha, and picked up an old CG120A as my new shop guitar. I would like to try out one of the NTX models.....they look sweet, but I'd have a hard time putting down my CGX. I play some folk and am quickly picking up classical. Love the nylons, rarely touch my steely anymore, and with the opportunity to plug it in, ...well even less reason to pick up the steely. These hybrids are IMHO , just a great way to go.
The Loar LH319VS for blues
and a banger banjo Johnson JB100 -
Fishburn - Loudbox Mini - nice to plug in once in a while
Old 11-07-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
I found that after I got my previously enjoyed CGX171CCA , it became my main player... So much so that I dumped 3 steel strings that had no electronics ( an old Ventura V14, an Alvarez and another beater Rouge that used to be my shop guitar)... Love the nylons, rarely touch my steely anymore, and with the opportunity to plug it in, ...well even less reason to pick up the steely. These hybrids are IMHO , just a great way to go.
I have a CGX171CCA too and I totally agree. It was my first acoustic when I got back into playing almost 10 years ago.

Since then I bought a Taylor 814ce and a couple of Epiphone Masterbilts but I found that I would pick up the Yamaha more, often playing things you would think I would have been playing on one of the steel strings. So the steel strings went to new homes.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalegreen View Post
Hi Rick
I have finally settled down with a Jam SR150 amp. It does have 4 inputs (2 xlr) phantom power, and reverb / delay. Although it is pretty much a compact PA ( and very compact) it is by far the puriest, cleanest reproduction of audio on any acoustic instrument I have ever run thru it. Very high quality internal amp components and 8" speaker with a separate tweater. It does have a master volume as well. Also is the best vocal amp I have used as well, it does it all. They are a little on the pricey side, but you get what you pay for in this case.
Here is a review
http://www.premierguitar.com/article...tic_Amp_Review
Hi Dale -

May not get that amp - more than I planned right now. But went to your site, listened to your great music, and bought your advancing guitarist book. Sounds great for what I need.

I am still learning toward the Yamaha THR-5A or the Fishman Mini for my needs. Wish someone had the Yamaha that plays nylon.

Thanks - Rick
Old 11-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Considering it...just so much more comfortable for me...guess I'll have to keep a steel string or two for teaching/certain gigs, but I'm seriously thinking of going all nylon for my regular gigs and I've pretty much already gone there for home playing...anybody else put aside steel strings?
Hi Jeff,

A nylon string classical-type guitar sure works well for the jazz stuff you do so well. It's a great sound.

- Glenn
Old 11-13-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Jeff,

A nylon string classical-type guitar sure works well for the jazz stuff you do so well. It's a great sound.

- Glenn
Thanks, Glenn.

Yeah, for solo gigs, the nylon is really going to be my weapon of choice.

Steel is still nice in a group though...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-14-2013, 09:35 PM

I ordered the Yamaha THR5A amp today. I'll speak for the experience when it comes.

About nylon strings. What does hard tension and extra hard tension mean? Is it like going up a gauge on electrics? I guess extra hard are harder to fret? I also heard somewhere there is a string site that sells individual strings. I have a broken D string. I have heard the nylons last forever but the lower three don't. Any recommendations for this newly? Brands, tensions, etc.? Are any of the lowers coated against rust like some of the electrics?

Thanks - Rick
Old 11-14-2013, 10:59 PM

As with makers and re-branders of steel string sets... medium from one could be high tension from another... this is also the case with nylon.

For a baseline.. start with D'Adddario Pro Arte "normals"... this is their mddle tension set... I have tried many makes and many tensions... no matter the guitar, D'Addario Pro Arte normals are my default string.

On my 1961 Ramirez IA F cypress/spruce 655 I used Savarez red card with a wound first, second, and third. That guitar did not sound right with any other brand or combination.

Just as on my Tele.. it really likes D'addario .011 flat wounds. Not round wounds or any other brand.. it took me 10 years to land on this bit of magic.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:31 PM

Red face

I started reading this thread thinking that the OP had taken off his WOUND strings and substituted something else?

Is that possible?
Are there any nylgut strings that are long enough for a classical?

I've been wondering this the past couple of months since I got into ukuleles.

anyone tried using trebles but maybe tuned up a third or so to get some tension on the lower ones?
I did something similar last week with a baritone uke- using all classical strings and tuning up the bottom D up an octave, proportionately like other ukes in C tuning.

I love the sound of steel strings, but I broke a couple of left hand fingers 35 years ago, and nylon has always been easier-
and it's not getting any less so at almost 60.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyc View Post
Hi Dale -

May not get that amp - more than I planned right now. But went to your site, listened to your great music, and bought your advancing guitarist book. Sounds great for what I need.

I am still learning toward the Yamaha THR-5A or the Fishman Mini for my needs. Wish someone had the Yamaha that plays nylon.

Thanks - Rick
Hi Rick
Thanks for ordering the book, and that yamaha amp is a great practice rig. A friend of mine uses it for his acoustic, sounds really nice
Old 03-12-2014, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalegreen View Post
Hi Rick
I have finally settled down with a Jam SR150 amp.
Me too! I owned a Jam100, but found that the Nylon sounds a bit plastic. Then a couple of months ago had the chance to compare the 100 an 150, but only with a Taylor steelstring - the 150 sounded so much better. So I took the "risk" and sold the Jam 100 and got a Jam 150.
Yes, Nylon sounds better and the vocals a lot better, at the first tryout I almost couldn`t stop singing! Only my Crafter Steelstring with LR Baggs Pickup sucks a bit... But to be honest... for 99% I play my Taylor NS72 Nylon ;-)
Old 03-12-2014, 06:14 PM

Default Modern Classical Music!

I have been playing and building nylon and steel string guitars for years. Recently though, I have been discovering such a great amount of modern music for the classical guitar. I have always been drawn to the Classical guitar's tone, though sometimes the music is less than moving. The reverse is true with steel string music...

Until recently. Mostly through youtube I have discovered so much fantastic music played on nylon guitars (Jose Gonzalez and certainly Andrew York) that I too am playing almost only nylon!

Paul Weaver
LamareGuitars.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical