The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-17-2016, 02:54 PM

So the L13 and x7 sound like they are easier to play because of the shorter scales. Still a tough choice but that may make it easier to choose.. Maybe narrow it down to 2...
Old 01-17-2016, 05:58 PM

For a sofa guitar the X7 is a complete no-brainer IMHO, sounds great (even stood up against my other acoustics) and sits in the lap beautifully. Huge dynamic range, it goes from very quiet fingerpicking to loud strumming or GJ lead and is way more balanced than any parlour I've played. My nephew's Taylor GS mini (Spruce/Rosewood) is the next best small guitar I've played but it's not as good as the X7 despite being quite a lot bigger.

But, I'm not a fan of a typical small guitar mid rich/honky tone (which many players like) so the X7 would not have found favour if it was just a 'good parlour' sound, it had to compete with 'normal' (i.e. dread, 000, GA) guitars which it does without question. It does sound 'different', it's a little brighter with tighter bass but nothing is lacking in the way I find most small bodied guitars sound.

I find myself reaching for it first sometimes even if my other guitars are at hand. It's definitely not just a 'small guitar' it's a **** good 'do everything' guitar and while they'll have to prise my Eastwood from my cold hands (or bury me with it), if I really had to have one acoustic it would be a very hard choice to make between the Eastwood and the X7.....
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 01-17-2016, 06:23 PM

Greatly appreciate that sam. I've left a message for Alistair about the x7, and have a feeling I'll go I that direction. Your words on it help. I can't tell how much customization I can do, but I'm looking into it!
Old 01-17-2016, 08:25 PM

If you want customization, you can also shorten the scale on the X20 to make it the same as an L13 (about 25.5 on the X20 to 24.75 on the L13 I think). You'll have to talk with Alistair about which would work better for you, but there are a lot of options available that would probably be pretty awesome for your situation.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 01-18-2016, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
If you want customization, you can also shorten the scale on the X20 to make it the same as an L13 (about 25.5 on the X20 to 24.75 on the L13 I think). You'll have to talk with Alistair about which would work better for you, but there are a lot of options available that would probably be pretty awesome for your situation.

Cheers,
Tom
I have an X20 on which Alistair shortened the scale to 24.75. The results are excellent!
Old 01-18-2016, 11:48 AM

I ended up going with a custom x7. I couldn't pass up a pinless bridge after seeing it on someone else guitar. Order placed, and now the wait! Very excited, and I have a feeling the wait will go by quick. I have plenty to keep me busy until it arrives.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber