The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-04-2019, 09:15 AM
doodahdoug doodahdoug is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 569
Arrow On Hold Pending Funds 2000 Olson SJ

I am fortunate to own 2 Olson SJ models ('94 & 2000), both acquired last year from a respected AGF member. I am listing this one for sale to free up some cash to fund 2 upcoming commission builds.

This Jim Olson SJ was built in 2000 for Grammy Award-winning US film composer Mark Mancina. It features a striking set of Indian Rosewood back and sides with select Cedar top. The five-piece laminate neck is topped by an Ebony fretboard with intricate Olson #1 Abalone and Mother of Pearl inlays. The top is trimmed with herringbone purfling.



The guitar is in excellent condition. A bit of slight swirling in the pick guard area can be detected under close inspection as well as a few pencil tip size impressions which do not break the finish. The back is free from buckle rash and in excellent condition.

Specifications:
Serial #921
SJ body size
Cedar top
Indian Rosewood back and sides
Tortoise Shell style binding
Abalone shell center ring rosette
Herringbone top edge
Herringbone back center strip
Olson #1 Abalone and MOP fingerboard inlays
Ebony headstock veneer w/ MOP "O" logo
1 13/16" Nut Width
String spacing at the saddle 2.25"

Scale length: 25.4"
Body length: 19.5
Upper bout: 11.125
Lower bout: 15.125
Waist: 9.25
Depth at tail: 4.75
Depth at neck heel: 3.75"
Schaller gold tuning machines w/ black knobs
Olson SJ Tweed Case

A custom fit white Canadian Calton case is available in place of the Olson Tweed case for an additional $500.



AGF price for this guitar is $14,400 which includes fully insured shipping (Heritage). Transaction fees are the buyer's responsibility.

Additional pictures may be viewed at the link below:

https://rvrb.io/2000-sj-c68n5l

For fastest response, send an email to doodahdoug@aol.com.
I am happy to answer your questions. Thanks for looking, now let me hear from you!

Last edited by doodahdoug; 08-23-2019 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Held Pending Funds
  #2  
Old 08-04-2019, 03:15 PM
Rwpierce Rwpierce is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mesa, Az
Posts: 241
Default

Doug, beautiful Olson you have there. I love mine and I know it's probably not an easy decision to let it go. Nonetheless, someone will be very pleased that you did. Good luck with the sale and all the best from Arizona.

Rob
  #3  
Old 08-04-2019, 07:32 PM
TomB'sox's Avatar
TomB'sox TomB'sox is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Upstate Ny via Minnesota, soon heading to Texas
Posts: 6,509
Default

Beautiful Olson, Doug. The price seems very reasonable to me as well. This is a rare opportunity they don't come up that often.
__________________
PS. I love guitars!
  #4  
Old 08-04-2019, 09:09 PM
jay7347's Avatar
jay7347 jay7347 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The foothills behind Loveland Colorado
Posts: 1,802
Default

Golly... she's a beaut! And I'll bet she sounds better than she looks. My guitar teacher has an Olson that he got from Phil Keaggy. Its road worn as all get out but it sounds like everything you could ever dream of in a guitar. Then there's his Bashkin. Needless to say I lust for those guitars during my lessons.

Best of luck on your sale!
-jay
__________________
FOR SALE: '14 Duane Noble Harp Guitar
'16 Lowden F35c (Mountain Rosewood)
'13 Gibson ES 195 (Memphis build)
  #5  
Old 08-05-2019, 06:31 AM
doodahdoug doodahdoug is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 569
Default Olson SJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Beautiful Olson, Doug. The price seems very reasonable to me as well. This is a rare opportunity they don't come up that often.
Thanks Tom I know someone will love this Olson SJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay7347 View Post
Golly... she's a beaut! And I'll bet she sounds better than she looks. My guitar teacher has an Olson that he got from Phil Keaggy. Its road worn as all get out but it sounds like everything you could ever dream of in a guitar. Then there's his Bashkin. Needless to say I lust for those guitars during my lessons.

Best of luck on your sale!
-jay
Hi Jay...I obviously succumbed to the Olson lust (twice) but it's time to let someone else enjoy one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwpierce View Post
Doug, beautiful Olson you have there. I love mine and I know it's probably not an easy decision to let it go. Nonetheless, someone will be very pleased that you did. Good luck with the sale and all the best from Arizona.

Rob
Hey Rob, you know it was after playing your Olson SJ that I got serious about getting one of my own. Hope you're enjoying it in lovely AZ.



Last edited by doodahdoug; 08-06-2019 at 05:36 AM.
  #6  
Old 08-06-2019, 10:13 AM
Carmel Cedar Carmel Cedar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Milwaukee area, WI
Posts: 1,229
Default

Awesome guitar, and in great condition. Given the consistency of Jim's builds, it's sure to please the lucky buyer!

Bump for a great AGF'er and a wonderful guitar.
  #7  
Old 08-07-2019, 02:46 PM
doodahdoug doodahdoug is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 569
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Awesome guitar, and in great condition. Given the consistency of Jim's builds, it's sure to please the lucky buyer!

Bump for a great AGF'er and a wonderful guitar.
Thanks Andy and you are right about this guitar and the consistency of Jim Olson's builds. No one covers the Stones like the Stones and no one crafts a guitar with that Olson sound like Jim Olson. Here's your opportunity to own the real deal...let me hear from you!

  #8  
Old 08-09-2019, 08:17 PM
invguy921's Avatar
invguy921 invguy921 is offline
Lovin' nice guitars...
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: S. Central Missouri
Posts: 2,457
Default

Sorry, I have been sorely out of the "guitar loop" for a while and haven't hardly looked at the classifieds...BUT...I need to chime in here and just let everyone know that this is a super guitar! I think an Olson of this quality and condition, and with the collectability factor is an absolute screamin' deal at this price. Someone will love this guitar!!

Doug is a GREAT guy to work with as well. But with confidence!
__________________
"A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches, and favor is better than silver or gold."

Woody (aka: Mike)
  #9  
Old 08-10-2019, 01:37 PM
doodahdoug doodahdoug is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 569
Default 2000 Olson SJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Sorry, I have been sorely out of the "guitar loop" for a while and haven't hardly looked at the classifieds...BUT...I need to chime in here and just let everyone know that this is a super guitar! I think an Olson of this quality and condition, and with the collectability factor is an absolute screamin' deal at this price. Someone will love this guitar!!

Doug is a GREAT guy to work with as well. But with confidence!
Mike you definitely know what you're talking about with respect to this particular Olson SJ, thank you for your kind words and opinion of this guitar and its humble seller.

Don't wait much longer if you have an interest let me hear from you.
  #10  
Old 08-11-2019, 03:21 PM
TennesseeWalker TennesseeWalker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 36
Default

front page bump for what is clearly the perfect guitar - - -
  #11  
Old 08-12-2019, 03:53 PM
doodahdoug doodahdoug is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 569
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeWalker View Post
front page bump for what is clearly the perfect guitar - - -
Thanks TW. This beautiful sounding Olson SJ should hold the value of your investment over the years while you enjoy playing it. I would be happy to visit with you about getting your "perfect guitar" into your hands.
  #12  
Old 08-14-2019, 12:29 PM
doodahdoug doodahdoug is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 569
Default 2000 Olson SJ

Bump to the top for a top flight Olson SJ in excellent condition!
  #13  
Old 08-16-2019, 05:33 AM
doodahdoug doodahdoug is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 569
Default 2000 Olson SJ

This Olson SJ sounds as you would expect from an Olson, beautiful! It's in excellent condition and priced right too. Reach out to me and get it while you can.

  #14  
Old 08-16-2019, 03:29 PM
TomB'sox's Avatar
TomB'sox TomB'sox is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Upstate Ny via Minnesota, soon heading to Texas
Posts: 6,509
Default

Olsons are one of the very few guitars that I feel will go up in value with time and even if I am wrong, they lose less value than most everything else. I know Jim is only building 17 new ones this year.
__________________
PS. I love guitars!
  #15  
Old 08-18-2019, 10:58 AM
doodahdoug doodahdoug is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 569
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Olsons are one of the very few guitars that I feel will go up in value with time and even if I am wrong, they lose less value than most everything else. I know Jim is only building 17 new ones this year.
Great point Tom and the daily dividend you receive from playing an Olson is the joy of playing it and that extra bit of creativity that a special instrument like this can spark in you. Don't miss out...let me hear from you.
Closed Thread

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=