The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-21-2019, 03:05 PM

Default Parlor w floating bridge and no bridge plate?

Would like some opinions regarding the purpose of the bridge plate in guitar bracing. I have built electric guitars but am about to embark on my first acoustic guitar. I am looking for a more open and deep sound. I am emulating an old Kay guitar I have but making modifications to the design.

From what I gather based on my research, a more open tone is the result of a thinner more easily vibrating top. The guitar will have a floating bridge so only downward pressure on the top. I have been wondering about whether eliminating the bridge plate under the top would provide a more open and deeper sound.

Just read a different thread here stating that many modern manufacturers do not use a bridge plate with certain types of bridges. Wondering if someone with more building experience would care to comment? Thank you
Old 06-21-2019, 11:24 PM

With a floating bridge and tailpiece it's not necessary to have a bridge plate. Guitars with a pinned bridge need one as the ball end of strings necessitate a hardwood under the bridge and because a plate ties the bracing together.

I'd strongly recommend you get plans for the model you want to emulate before going any further.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:32 AM

As mentioned above, not needed

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-22-2019, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the replies. The old guitar I am experimenting on has a floating bridge and a bridge plate under it that's about 1/8" thick. How do you think it affects the tone? I am assuming less wood would improve tone, but I find I am often wrong. I build something to test a theory regarding how the tone will change and the result is often a complete surprise.

Is it necessary to reenforce the seam between the 2 sides of the top if my braces do not run horizontal? Thinking about using a v-brace similar to the new Taylor line and since it is a small parlor I wondered if that would be enough bracing? The reason to use the v-brace is because my design uses a very tall bridge, and on the test guitar it made the top deform after a while. So I thought the vertical bracing would prevent the sound hole from caving in. I will be building a number of test tops before the final build, but just wondering what people's experience has been? Thanks!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair