The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-30-2010, 08:58 PM

Default slow downer on garageband.

Hello. I have a MacBook Pro with garageband. I am wondering if it is possible to take a song off of my iTunes (i.e., Tony Rice's "Church Street Blues") and slow it down, keeping tone the same. I assume this would be like "Amazing Slowdowner" which I don't mind buying, but would prefer not to if I can get the same results on my Garageband. I have goggled some links/articles, and tried to follow their instructions, but I have not had any luck. Tony Rice is moving as quick as ever. Any advice appreciated. Paul
Old 12-01-2010, 12:41 AM

You could maybe try rubberband (mac and linux). They do a GUI app for $30 but the command line version is free.

Last edited by moon; 12-01-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:38 AM

I don't think you can import into GarageBand. I tried it before and it did not work.
www.cornerstoneguitar.com

Ukuleles...
www.cornerstoneukes.com
Old 12-06-2010, 02:50 AM

If you have to go with a slow-downer app, I went with Transcribe! which I like because it has a much nicer user interface than the amazing slow downer. I can even hook up a midi footpedal to tell to start and stop the loop.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quicktime will slow down audio and keep it at pitch. Just open the mp3 in quicktime, then go to Window, view A/V controls. You will see a slider to change the speed of the audio.

Hope that helps.

Anton
Old 12-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Default It IS More Difficult to De-Construct the Cross-Pickers

Aloha,

In terms of technological solutions, Anton may have provided the best advice -Quicktime.

However, before all this technology & electronic tools, I found it somewhat difficult to de-construct the best of the country style cross-pickers like Tony Rice & Norman Blake (who wrote "Church Street Blues") by slowing them down, learning them note for note, & then trying to speed it up again. I watched Norman play that song many times & never could quite get that flow of his, even in my prime.

That very cool style & song almost precludes any attempt of slowing 'em down & then speeding it up because so much of the rhthym of learning it comes from the body, not the mind. It's all about the "neuro-surgery" you have to put in to train your body, hands, nerves & muscles in the flow of crosspickin.'

On the original version of Church St. Blues, I found it far easier to just try & learn it at speed, keeping in mind that in either version, it is definitely a chord-based song (Capo 4 - C-F-C-G-C), keying with the bass notes of each chord.

However, learning that song in that crosspickin' style sure does clean up your crosspickin', speed & right hand positioning though - a real benefit of learning it "in time."

All the best.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 12-07-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerstone Guitars View Post
I don't think you can import into GarageBand. I tried it before and it did not work.
You maybe know this (if it applies) You can drag any track out of the itunes window on to your desktop and drag it into an open Garageband document therefore importing it. You could (albeit illegally) manipulate it any way you choose from there with the tools in the program. I've also done this on personal recordings I ONLY had stowed on cd's to enhance eq, etc.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD