The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-09-2011, 05:47 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Final wrap up. I let the body harden for a few weeks. I polished the body yesterday. It turned out great. Some areas are better than others. This is my 3rd French Polish and by far my best effort.
Lets see now;
Frets, Nut, tuners, Locate the Bridge placement, saddle, Strings.....Play!
Maybe by the weekend?
Old 03-09-2011, 03:10 PM

Default Sweet thread! Congratulations on nearing the finish line!

John,

Great thread - I've enjoyed thumbing through evolution of the build. Great creative design and (maybe even more important) great recovery from the inevitable bumps in the road. I'm envious of your frnch polish - looks great! I'm looking forward to strumming this beauty at ASIA! Bring it!

Corky
Old 03-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky Long View Post
John,

Great thread - I've enjoyed thumbing through evolution of the build. Great creative design and (maybe even more important) great recovery from the inevitable bumps in the road. I'm envious of your frnch polish - looks great! I'm looking forward to strumming this beauty at ASIA! Bring it!

Corky
Thanks! It will be so great to see you again. Are you bringing your Sonic Sitka Project?
You had Walnut huh? I have my 1" billets going to 1/4" soon. I'll bring a set to compare, maybe work up a trade.
Hang out here more often. Things move slower than the OLF
Old 03-10-2011, 07:40 AM

Default Asia

John,

I'm looking forward to hanging out with you, too. We had a blast at ASIA last time. I'm psyched about it for sure. You staying at the dorm again? I think I will - makes me feel like a kid again...

My sonic sitka guitar is in Tacoma Washington. I gave it to Denis Merrill as an example of the project, as he goes to shows and events - good exposure. It has generated one commission so far, so it's paying off.

I've got another guitar that I built more recently for a charity benefit - OOO in Pau Ferro - a neighbor won it in a raffle. I'll twist his arm and bring that one. Also in process on two more that I'll bring if I get them done in time.

Yeah, I'll hang out here some more - looks like a nice group of folks..

Corky
Old 03-11-2011, 07:20 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky Long View Post
John,

I'm looking forward to hanging out with you, too. We had a blast at ASIA last time. I'm psyched about it for sure. You staying at the dorm again? I think I will - makes me feel like a kid again...

My sonic sitka guitar is in Tacoma Washington. I gave it to Denis Merrill as an example of the project, as he goes to shows and events - good exposure. It has generated one commission so far, so it's paying off.

I've got another guitar that I built more recently for a charity benefit - OOO in Pau Ferro - a neighbor won it in a raffle. I'll twist his arm and bring that one. Also in process on two more that I'll bring if I get them done in time.

Yeah, I'll hang out here some more - looks like a nice group of folks..

Corky
Yep, in the Dorm again. This time I went A/C!
Old 03-11-2011, 07:34 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Polished up.

My shop STINKS like a Dentists office. Sparks were a flyin' I killed three files and a belt sander sizing the 84 Ninja Cow Bone Saddle and Nut. And they still aren't shaped or slotted!

I located the bridge placement. I checked it, double checked it. Went to bed. I'll check it a few more times before I commit!

I glued on the Heal Cap Ebony/Burled Cedar and called it a night

I may have an issue with shallow fret slots. If I do I may have to go with a "Bound" look with the slots going the whole way through. No biggy. Just more stuff to add to the list.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

This fretboard wood has some great character. It catches my eyes each time I view your thread.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:04 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Hi Mary. That Fretboard wood was the first and about only thing I bought at the A.S.I.A trade show.
Well I had to resaw my fret slots. They were all too shallow. It went quicker than I thought it would. A little over an hour.
Today, I hope to put the neck on for real, glue the fretboard down. Then get the Bridge attached. Make sure all is level. Onto frets....... We'll see. The stomach flue got me bad yesterday.So far so good today.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:23 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

What kind of idiot makes a sound hole and sound port you can't get your hand in? Oh, Me. I did one final test fit before committing the neck to its final bolt down and gluing. 35 minutes of dropping nuts, having washers fall off on the way to the neck block..... I proved I am not the kind of guy that snaps and jumps up and down on his project. I do have it clear as a picture in my head though.
I got the Fretboard glued down. I may have the 14th fret hump thing going. I will check level one last time before fretting. Work interferes with building today.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
What kind of idiot makes a sound hole and sound port you can't get your hand in? Oh, Me.

I can name a few other names.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

[email protected]
Old 03-15-2011, 04:15 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Yep. The fretboard after gluing is humped up and down and up after the 13th fret. Note to self and others; Not that I did, but don't! EVER! Fret the neck then put it on! I would be yanking frets right now to level it out. The way it is now (mounted but fretless) is no biggy to fix. Just another thing.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:16 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
I can name a few other names.
I was gonna ask Tim to put in the pickup at McJam
Old 03-16-2011, 06:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Not a problem. I can sign it up for you. You can pay him in advance or at the McJam.

[email protected]
Old 03-21-2011, 07:17 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Default The Bridge and Tuners are on!

The Butterflys full name is The Butterfly - George Lucus Special. No, not Nick Lucus, George. Quoting George; "You don't finish a project, you walk away" lol
My list of what I would do different will be huge. The list grew because I did.
Anyway
First I sanded out the hump. Then rechecked all of my fret slot heights.

I had some friends over for the Birthing. My Epiphone ELOOVS that the body and scale (24.75) are based on. And my Bourgeois 00 (24.9).

I spent 3 hours reviewing neck angle. Going back n forth with the Epi and the Butterfly neck. I taped off the bridge location!, sanded...still got it wrong lol. Some minor top repair added to the list - Check.

When it got to the moment I chickened out on my bridge and used a nice Brazilian Rosewood bridge I already had. My bridge saddle slot was sloppy and full of epoxy. I have to learn how to cut the slot after the bridge is mounted. I fully understand why Guitarbuilders do it that way.

I glued the bridge on using the Stew mac Bridge clamp thingy. Then moved onto the tuners.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:18 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Default Wrap up part 2

I ran the drill backward on the front and back Pilot holes to prevent tear out. The Dewalt is my only working drill right now (other than the press). It has a monster motor in it. I had to be soooooo careful to not "gun it".

Yes, one tuner "conforms to the flow of the head shape" Maybe I will score one more Tuner an add a second G string. I am thinking serious about that.
Today finish up the Saddle and Nut. Frets, Bridge pin holes and strings

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair