The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-29-2019, 09:25 AM

I used to really like the Sunbeams and the entire DR Acoustic string line. I only stopped using them bc of consistency issues: some sets were dead upon opening the package or others died after I tuned the guitar down. Unusual issues that probably don't apply anymore but I just haven't tried them again.

I particularly liked the tone and feel and how they had different voicings of PB strings. Perhaps I'll have to give them another go.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 07-29-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Also only discovered DR Sunbeams earlier this year.
Outstanding strings.

I tried Mediums on my Epiphone EJ-200 and they didn't quite work but the Lights are absolute magic.
Tried the hex-core Rares for comparison and they were OK but the round-core Sunbeams just seem to have superior tone, volume, playability and balance.

I agree with Bruce. I love the Sunbeams. Tested the Rares and wasn't as impressed. But yes... TRY THE LIGHTS next time.

I was using the Sunbeam 12's on my D35 and thought if 12's were good 13's would be better, right? WRONG. The 12's just roar while the 13's were just ok. Depending on the guitar it could be the other way around. But it's that lighter low E that I think is the lynch-pin of the set that sets the rest of the strings on fire. At $7 they're cheap as strings go.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-29-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
I used to really like the Sunbeams and the entire DR Acoustic string line. I only stopped using them bc of consistency issues: some sets were dead upon opening the package or others died after I tuned the guitar down. Unusual issues that probably don't apply anymore but I just haven't tried them again.

I particularly liked the tone and feel and how they had different voicings of PB strings. Perhaps I'll have to give them another go.
Just out of curiosity, did you follow the instructions on the inside of the package when you put on the Sunbeams? They (and other round-core strings) need to be strung differently (compared to the more abundant hex-core strings) to make sure the windings don't unravel.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoNeko View Post
Just out of curiosity, did you follow the instructions on the inside of the package when you put on the Sunbeams? They (and other round-core strings) need to be strung differently (compared to the more abundant hex-core strings) to make sure the windings don't unravel.
Pfft...been so long I can't remember but I'm sure it's at least 75% likely I did something wrong.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 07-29-2019, 12:00 PM

Thank you everybody for your input. I also wanted to mention that I've never had a string ring out 5th fret natural harmonics like these do. I'm super impressed with these strings so far. They sound great.

Last edited by steelvibe; 07-29-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoNeko View Post
Just another benefit of locking tuners. Ultra quick string changes (mattered when I was testing strings and changing them a LOT) and round core present no additional challenge - you lock 'em down like you would any string and then you can go ahead and snip with the confidence of an ultra-orthodox Mohel...

-Ray
Old 07-29-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
Pfft...been so long I can't remember but I'm sure it's at least 75% likely I did something wrong.
Or maybe you tried the Zebra strings...

It's amazing the same company that makes my favorite strings (Sunbeams) also makes the absolute WORST strings I've EVER heard (Zebra). The Zebra had ZERO bass presence, and I couldn't take them off soon enough.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Just another benefit of locking tuners. Ultra quick string changes (mattered when I was testing strings and changing them a LOT) and round core present no additional challenge - you lock 'em down like you would any string and then you can go ahead and snip with the confidence of an ultra-orthodox Mohel...

-Ray
I also use Locking tuners on my Acoustics. And like Ray says, no problem for roundcores.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:14 PM

Talking From the OP- DR Sunbeams

Okay- just revisiting this thread I started a month ago and some opinions and food for thought for those of you who like these strings.

I was singing their praise a month ago and nothing has changed. They still sound and feel great. I do wash my hands before playing and have been wiping them down after each play (well, almost every time). These are a medium set and have had many hours so far on them. They have great projection and feel for a roundcore strings.

Most interesting to note though is that these are installed on my carbon fiber Journey. In an odd month of travels, I've broken the guitar down a few times now which is something I don't usually do unless I'm flying. Typically the guitar is ready to play in either a full size gigbag or hanging on a stand. For a roundcore string these have held up through at least 4 neck collapses. Today on the 4th reassembly of the neck only 2 strings of the 6 were a half step out of tune. The others were shockingly stable and withing a few cents of pitch!! What?! I bought a set of lights to try as well. I love these strings.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

I just ordered a Larrivee 000 which comes with EJ17 (13-56),I’ll give those a chance but I already ordered a medium set of sunbeams. I have a relatively new Breedlove and love Sunbeams and SUS (12-54). The medium Sunbeams are 13-56. I assume It would be best to stay with stock guage. Could nut slots be a problem if I drop down to lights eventually?
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 08-25-2019, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
I just ordered a Larrivee 000 which comes with EJ17 (13-56),I’ll give those a chance but I already ordered a medium set of sunbeams. I have a relatively new Breedlove and love Sunbeams and SUS (12-54). The medium Sunbeams are 13-56. I assume It would be best to stay with stock guage. Could nut slots be a problem if I drop down to lights eventually?
I do not believe you would have a problem with the nut slots using the lighter gauge. I have tried it and not had a problem.
However, Larrivee's are built for Mediums. Mediums drive the top a bit better. But, 12's will sound great too.
And you may find that medium gauge for Sunbeam's to feel as if they are in between Light & medium gauge. Round cores bend easier. And they have about a 3% less tension than hexcore. That equates to about 5 lbs less on a medium gauge set. Combine that with the easier bending and they just feel a bit lighter. I found Sunbeams especially easy to play.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:51 PM
Charter Member

Thanks,between the sound and feel I’m hoping Sunbeams work great on the Larrivee. Really starting to look forward to getting it. I’ll probably play on the EJ17’s for a week so I can really compare the feel and sound.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 09-21-2019, 07:23 PM

OP here and reviving this thread. I've had the Sunbeams (mediums) on my OF660 now for 2 months this week. I've broken the neck down 3 times, used alternate tunings, and strummed and fingerpicked the heck out of 'em. I estimate I've put in at least 15 hours total play into them. They remain bright and the intonation is still spot on.

I'm a fan and would put these easily in the top 3 best PB sets I've ever tried and I've tried 'em all.

YMMV.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:34 PM

I'm still loving them on my EJ-200 too.
Tone, playabilty, balance and uncanny how they stay in tune.

I've bought more and plan on trying them on my maple Huss & Dalton MJ Custom next.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-02-2022, 06:51 PM

Just put a set of mediums on my Santa Cruz Custom OM, Italian spruce top. Like others here, I'm very impressed. Definitely in my top 2 and I've tested maybe 20 sets.

Like the Pyramid PBs (hex core), these play very well without a break-in period, no harsh ice pick highs. Unlike most PBs, they tend to have a rich warm midrange presence. Hitting the low E open is almost like a the opening sustained pulsating synthesizer bass note from an 80s hit (can't think of the specific song now) with all kinds of overtones; maybe a little of that Jaco Pastorius jazz bass vibrancy.

They also feel a bit less stiff and more playable than other mediums (and I noticed they do make that claim on their packaging).

They claim to be long-lasting; we'll see about that (and not my top concern). Definitely in my top two for my OM at the moment, along with the Pyramids.

Didn't notice they were round core! Guess I got lucky with my crimp at the tuner posts.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion