The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-20-2019, 12:47 PM

Smile Seagull Observations

It has been awhile since I last posted and again have learned so much in playing in techniques and of course the sound quality of guitars. One of my new traits is the finding and love of Seagull Guitars. Yesterday, I purchased an S6 Original 2018 edition and can’t wait for it to arrive. Also purchased a Seagull Gig Bag as well for it to go in. This guitar will be my practice and boardwalk busking that I do every summer. More importantly the next Seagull to be purchased will be the Artist Mosaic EQ Acoustic Electric guitar in about 6 weeks. This guitar with solid Spruce top, Solid Mahogany back and sides with an Ebony bridge. The guitar was well balanced and truly could be heard when played yet sounded soft when played lightly. This guitar comes with the L.R. Baggs anthem pickup installed as well and the Seagull Tric case. The guitar is reasonably priced and feel you are getting more than what you are paying for it. The sound was amazing. Nice bass, great high end and mid tone sounds. When you dig in the guitar can be loud. Same holds true that the guitar sounds amazing when played lightly. Finger picking was easy and sounded beautiful. The guitar has no problem with strumming and the tones were crisp, precise. Good to very good sustain.
I just found it nice that some research work and then playing allowed me to find another good North American Guitar and Sound that I really love. Also found that I can buy two quality guitars that I am extremely happy with at really good prices. I know there has been lots of talk on these forums about Seagull guitars but most of the time it is always about the S6 line. Last note also tried the Seagull Maritime SWS GT QIT guitar and was just again amazed with the sound and price. This guitar is a great guitar at a jam that can be heard while playing next to a Banjo. I do play Bluegrass every now and then and see no reason why this guitar would not be a good fit. I seen, Martins, Taylor's, Blueridge and now see Seagulls as well. Just thought I would share my observations and hope some people give a really good look at seagull guitars.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:06 PM

Default You're preaching to the choir..

I'm very fond of them, as my signature/inventory shows. In sound, playability and build quality, I think they routinely match other guitars that sell at twice the price.

I see some disturbing trends, though. They've become very hard to find in my area (Denver). GC never has more than one low-priced dread. One small, independent full-service music store, Universal Music, still has a good selection, and ProSound in Colorado Springs has a few. Spotlight Music in Ft. Collins used to sell them, but they've been edged out by flashier, faster-selling models from Breedlove. When I bought my top-of-the-line Maritime last summer, I was forced to buy online & unseen.

Also, under the management of a new generation of Godins, Seagull has been busy eliminating all the aspects I appreciated: short scales, wide necks, and multi-source pickups. Instead we're getting drab painted colors and ornate pickguards, styled for the Baroque taste of hipsters. Still, the Bourbon Bursts show a lot of class.

Seagulls have gotten plenty of appreciation here over the years, but the longtime fans are generally disgruntled with the changes. I'll roll with it, because there are probably a couple million 'Gulls out there already made with the specs I want, growing older and more melodious every year.

I particularly enjoy the fact that they're made in smaller shops in small rural towns, sounds almost like a crafts guild model. Reminds me of my old SAAB, made in Trolhatten- by trolls, you know, the good kind.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-23-2019 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Edited URL.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I really dig my S6 Slim - also a 2018 model! It only took the cedar top about a year to open up and lately I prefer its tone to that of my Eastman E1OM.

I've also tried a couple of SWS Maritime Burnt Umber gits with the mahogany tops and those are even more outstanding.
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 08-20-2019, 07:02 PM

As the lucky owner of four amazing Seagulls I have to say that, even if I am a little late to the game, I'm not missing anything for it. Although some will say the S6 is the best in terms of $ value (and I love my S6, it was my first real guitar), I've been amazed at how well some of the Artist series sound. I've not played a nicer guitar than my Artist Deluxe, and my Artist Mosaic Element (cedar topped) is equally good, albeit tonally quite different. The recent changes (especially the last two years) are obvious, but I haven't noticed a decrease in quality. I just don't think you can find a better value than Seagulls across the entire spectrum of their offerings, although I've tried, and in some cases, come very close.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 08-20-2019, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Birdbrain gave a very detailed post, so I don't have much to add. I owned several Seagull guitars, most of which I really enjoyed playing. A couple of them were overbuilt, but most of them were very good --- and two of them were simply outstanding. Both were from their Artist series and featured Cedar tops (Seagull's strength, IMHO) over Mahogany bodies, providing a warmer sound than their top-selling S6 (Cedar over Wild Cherry h/w lam). But both of those models are discontinued, and Seagull no longer offers a Cedar top with a solid wood body. Perhaps this is by design with the launch of their Godin acoustic line (downplaying the Artist / SWS series from competing directly with the new Godin models).
Old 08-20-2019, 07:43 PM

Default Godin acoustics are are worth mentioning...

and an alternative. I haven't handled one yet, so I'm left wondering: did they really need four lines of steel-string acoustic guitars? (That's Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Norman and now Godin, for you young fellers).
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 08-21-2019, 03:47 AM

Heck, look at my signature. I have 3 Seagulls. Just great guitars all around. My S6 is a 1991 and my first guitar. I just love it.

Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Old 08-21-2019, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

I had a couple Seagulls but all are gone now. I miss the neck taper as it was extremely comfortable. I wish they hadn’t changed the S6 from short to long scale and I miss the folk style body.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:03 AM

Two of the seven guitars I own are Seagulls.

One way to look at Seagulls is cost/benefit. From that POV, they are simply great value.

But hey, they are just great guitars. They are an everymans (or womans) guitar.

One of mine is a gloss top Sunburst spruce S6. The other is an Entourage Mini Jumbo Rustic.

I enjoy them as much as my Martins and Gibson, Taylor.

I do think Seagull needs to always provide the guitars that made them one of the major players. Solid cedar tops, 3 ply lam. Cherry. Both nut widths. (Not everybody wants wide nut widths.) Finally, keep the short scales.

Seagull isn't immune to marketing trends, hence some movement away from what they have always made.

Like all companies, they need to make what sells. I do think they need to consciously have Standard models.

The pendulum will swing eventually. All the things that Seagull lovers like will return.

Oh, and one last thing- Seagulls (and the other Godin acoustics) should not be thought of only as beginners guitars.

They are guitars that sound good!
Old 08-22-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
and an alternative. I haven't handled one yet, so I'm left wondering: did they really need four lines of steel-string acoustic guitars? (That's Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Norman and now Godin, for you young fellers).
Five-you forgot Art & Lutherie......

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 08-22-2019, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I had a couple Seagulls but all are gone now. I miss the neck taper as it was extremely comfortable. I wish they hadn’t changed the S6 from short to long scale and I miss the folk style body.
They still have a short-scale folk:
http://www.seagullguitars.com/en/pro...urnt-umber-qit
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 08-22-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
...Oh, and one last thing- Seagulls (and the other Godin acoustics) should not be thought of only as beginners guitars.

They are guitars that sound good!
I've always maintained the oft-repeated remark that "Seagulls are a good guitar for the money" should be more accurately and briefly stated;
"Seagulls are a good guitar." 🙂

I will always keep my old M6 Spruce.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:15 PM

Default Always thinking Seagull

I have a vintage Gibson ES-335 and a MIM Telecaster. But since I got a S6 Slim two years ago, Seagull's seem to be the guitars that occupy my interest. In fact, I bought a new Entourage Autumn Burst just a couple of weeks ago.
Both of these acoustics are similar but different. The S6 has a solid cedar top and the Entourage a solid spruce top. Both have cherry backs and sides. They are a dream to play and sound wonderful. A great guitar and I am so glad to have them.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:14 AM

I love the necks on the wider ones. Feels like home. The cedar top is a little too soft sounding for me although very sweet. Although I no longer have a Seagull I reserve the right to a future all solid wood Artist series purchase in the future.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion