The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-06-2019, 06:03 PM

Default neck reset needed - Guild D55

does this look like enough of a break angle and saddle height to avoid a neck reset? The action is nice and low and it plays fine but I'm worried it will need an expensive neck set. NO ONE that I've talked to in this area will touch old Guilds. It's a '77

Old 07-06-2019, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Looks like plenty of break angle. What is going on with the bottom of the bridge?
The footprint looks like the bridge has slipped toward the nut. The glue line looks suspicious also.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:39 PM

I would say it could benefit from a neck reset.

Its been converted at some stage from a rightie to a leftie, so the bridge is most likely not the original height anymore, the saddle is very low.

Leave it as it is and play but start looking around for a tech

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 07-07-2019, 10:57 AM

The saddle is low enough to justify resetting the neck. I'm sure it sounds fine as it is. That said, the tone will improve significantly with a neck reset. Problem is, who's willing to do a neck reset on an old Guild, and who among those are actually qualified to do a clean job of it?

Old Guilds and Gibsons with the wide, square heel are the toughest ones to reset because it takes a lot of heat to break the dovetail loose. The heat can blister and/or discolor the finish, thus leading to a nightmare of a finish touchup.

Beware of hack luthiers. They're everywhere, and they're a menace to society. Find someone you can trust to do a clean and precise job, and you'll love your Guild more than ever before. If it goes to the wrong "luthier", it'll turn your stomach every time you open the case.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:03 PM

If the action is good at the 12th fret then it's fine as is imho. I've done a few Guild resets that I can remember and the heels break easily. It's not that big of a deal if they do but still, that's part of the reason why they cost a lot more to reset.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair