The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-05-2019, 11:27 PM

Default New guitar, neck relief changed

I recently purchased a mint condition used guitar.
When I first got it, the neck was pretty much straight with low enough action to play (although not as low as my usual setup).
It's been over a month since I got it, and I noticed that the neck relief has changed, making its action hight to increase.
Also, its belly is bulging outward tiny bit.
I have maintained the optimal humidity inside its case all times.
One concern is that I am not able to maintain the temperature of the house at a constant level.

Is this normal when you purchase a used guitar and get it shipped from different environment?
Is the guitar merely just trying to adjust to a new environment?
Is it because I could not maintain a constant temperature?
Humidity should not be an issue here at play since I am always pretty meticulous at maintaining humidity at all times.
Of course a fresh setup at a local guitar tech will fix the problem, but will this happen again?

p.s.
The guitar was shipped from east coast, and I am located in Minnesota.
Right now, its pretty hot and humid all the time.

Thank you, folks!
Old 07-05-2019, 11:40 PM

It's possible but not necessarily normal. I always advise waiting about a month after receipt and then have a set up done if necessary. Sounds like it might be.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:54 AM

Hangil wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangil210 View Post
When I first got it, the neck was pretty much straight with low enough action to play (although not as low as my usual setup).
It's been over a month since I got it, and I noticed that the neck relief has changed, making its action hight to increase.
One concern is that I am not able to maintain the temperature of the house at a constant level.

Is this normal when you purchase a used guitar and get it shipped from different environment?
Absolutely.

Quote:
That's exactly what it's doing. Keep an eye on the bellying of the top, but even that is quite normal.

Quote:
Nah, this is humidity-related. The chances that it's anything else are slim.

Quote:
Humidity should not be an issue here at play since I am always pretty meticulous at maintaining humidity at all times.
Of course a fresh setup at a local guitar tech will fix the problem, but will this happen again?
You might get some more shifting once the cold weather arrives, but this sort of action change is normal when an instrument gets shipped from one climatic zone to another.

By waiting a month you've given it adequate time to acclimate, so this is the time to take it in to get dialed in. Have your repair tech check the bracing inside, especially the X brace, on the off-chance that you've got a loose brace under the top causing that bellying.

But many, perhaps even most solid wood tops will belly a little bit, and so long as it doesn't become drastic enough to affect intonation it shouldn't be a problem.

Short version: this is all perfectly normal.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-06-2019, 01:03 AM

Quote:

p.s.
The guitar was shipped from east coast, and I am located in Minnesota.
Right now, its pretty hot and humid all the time.

Thank you, folks!
Things do change after it’s shipped, and after it’s been given a few days to settle down. If the neck relief has increased, giving the truss rod an eighth of a turn to straighten the neck is probably all it needs.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:52 AM

Default Guitar relief change

I also live in Minnesota. Besides the high temperature and humidity swings we have been going through, wood shifts from climate changes. My guitar tops belly up and down from the weather. Right now I am getting buzzes and will have to adjust the truss rod on one guitar. If you set your action really low you will notice more weather related changes. Lighter gauge strings will also be more prone to buzzing as the neck makes subtle shifts due to temperature and humidity. You’ll get fuller tone and more volume with slightly higher action and medium gauge strings. Keep your guitars in closed hard shell cases when they are not being played, this will keep them more stable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair