The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-23-2010, 12:14 PM

Default Recording with a ZED12FX

I don't know anything about recording at all!!!

I have a ZED12FX. It has a USB hookup so there must be a way to record directly onto my computer from the board. I will be plugging in my guitar (with its dreaded UST) and a vocal mic and adding a touch of effects.

I figure I need some kind of a program to recognize this. The ZED came with a cd but I never looked to see what it was.
I don't need studio quality recording so please don't go suggesting $$$$ equipment because I can't even think about going there. Can I get a recording with what I have?

OR I dug out my Denon Cassette Recorder/Player that I might possibly be able to plug my ZED into and record onto tape from the board and then transfer it to CD.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
I don't know anything about recording at all!!!

I have a ZED12FX. It has a USB hookup so there must be a way to record directly onto my computer from the board. I will be plugging in my guitar (with its dreaded UST) and a vocal mic and adding a touch of effects.

I figure I need some kind of a program to recognize this. The ZED came with a cd but I never looked to see what it was.
I don't need studio quality recording so please don't go suggesting $$$$ equipment because I can't even think about going there. Can I get a recording with what I have?

OR I dug out my Denon Cassette Recorder/Player that I might possibly be able to plug my ZED into and record onto tape from the board and then transfer it to CD.
REAPER has versions for Mac and PC. You can download a _fully_ functional demo (exactly the same as the licensed program) and registering a license for a home user is currently $40 with free upgrades for version 3 and 4 (4 is just in alpha). REAPER also does pretty reasonable minor video editing, including trimming, audio adjustment, and syncing external audio.

It appears from the product page that Sonar is included with the system, so that's another option for recording software.

The A&H site has a link to the ASIO4ALL third party drivers. I didn't read through the manual, but the product blurb implies that the USB connection is plug and play.

The whole thing should be a snap _except_ for those few hours when one tries to get ones head around the basic concepts of the recording software. That part can be painful, but once the understanding dawns it's clear sailing. I'm not sure why but I've run into this mental glitch nearly every time I've tried new audio or video editing software, if it was powerful enough to be interesting. As soon as I stop being stubborn and read the manual things start working fine <grin>.

Have fun!

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 12-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Default Aint Dat Da Troot, Braddah's Fran & Bob

Aloha Fran & Bob,

I had that same thought last night, that you stated Fran, about the new technology learning period "glitch" as I was helping some young friends record a Christmas CD for their father on my iMac/Logic Pro/Apogee rig in my home studio.

Yes Braddah Bob, DAW workflows really take some time to learn, no matter the DAW. And the flows & commands are quite different among them - especially for editing. So it's recommended that you download the free samples from their sites so you can get a feel for which DAW works best for your sensibilities.

For me, however, with DAW's, the learning glitch seems to be lingering for quite awhile, as in years, no matter how much training I receive.

The problem seems to be that, I guess I'm finally aging. It aint "taking" like it used to - even new songs I learn don't stick. Same thing happened when I tried to learn Thai language (impossible at any age) after 50. Ha!

The real problem is that computer recording & musical creativity use different parts of my brain. And it's sometimes difficult for me to concentrate so hard on the commands/demands of the computer & DAW workflow without killing the musical inspiration & playing part of that equation. Working on it though.

Yes, Bob, Reaper is a very good & very affordable DAW to check out. I liked it. Intuitive & simpler than some.

Last night, after an exceptionally busy & full work day & last minute shopping, I kinda ran out of gas with the kids. One is a computer engineering student at McGill who's home in the Islands for the holidays. As I faded, he jumped right in - using a DAW for the first time - & Logic Pro to boot?!?

We'd created some very decent, edited tracks w/ plug-in's on a few pieces of music with his sister for their father's present. But this young man jumped into my seat as it got late, and intuited the whole mastering, linking & burning process - in minutes!

He quickly bounced the songs into mp3 mode, linked it, & sent it to his Macbook Pro at home in case he wanted to change it around with some Garageband editing - though he had no prior experience with any DAW?!?

He edited for the CD. Quickly put together some great CD artwork for CD & jewel box covers & burned a few copies - in about 20 minutes?!? Completely left me in the dust. Man, these kids really are truly wired in - for the better & the worse, IMO! I know, I know - sounding older than dirt.

I was so inspired that I stayed up half the night playing with refining their tracks (guitar, vocals, harmonies, & very minor hand percussion). I did manage to add some improvements to the clarity & soundstaging of their mixes through my recording knowledge & then emailed them to him.

Freshly informed, I then went on to create several CD's as gifts for friends, with the workflow tips I picked up from this 20 y.o. DAW novice - HA! Finished around 4 AM.

It was a good trade-off. The kids got to use much better mic's & equipment in a treated room than they ever could have outside of paying for a studio. And I got to learn how to use my own stuff - from the kid. Ha!

It was inspiring & depressing at the same time.

I guess the point is Bob, if you have a chance to have a verifier/trainer help you with the workflow of whatever DAW you choose, it will help mightily.

All the best Friends & Mele Kalikimaka

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 12-23-2010 at 03:14 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD